Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Anguilla question (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/anguilla-question-771314/)

yn10 Oct 31st, 2005 02:49 PM

Anguilla question

Does someone know what are the transportaion options from St. Martin airport to Anguilla? I heard there is a water taxi and a ferry. What is the difference besides the price?

penny Nov 1st, 2005 04:27 AM

The difference besides price is distance, convenience and time. You charter the private boat, pick up is right accross from the airport, just for you, go directly to Blowing Point, then by taxi or boat to your hotel.

The ferries run out of Marigot about 20 minutes cab ride from the airport. They run approx. every 30-40 minutes. Last ferry is about 6 pm-not sure. The ferry goes to Blowing Point.

Laby Nov 1st, 2005 05:34 AM

Of course the price is the big plus of the ferry over the water taxi. It's true that the water taxi is more convenient and will get you to Anguilla quicker. But you'll pay around $300 for a private water taxi while the ferry is about $30 or $40 ( when you add in the cost of the taxi from the airport to the ferry terminal).

Lura Nov 1st, 2005 07:36 AM

If you are staying at Cap Juluca, an option is to use their own boat. You can arrange for it to pick you up in St. Martin and also take you back if you happen to be staying at this resort. I highly recommend this as it is a much nicer ride than the public ferry, and less expensive than the charter. I believe it was around $50.
Let me know if you have any other questions- just went to Anguilla last year for my Honeymoon.

yn10 Nov 1st, 2005 09:35 AM

Thank you all. The reason we are thinking about a water taxi is because there are 8 of us (we are renting a villa in Anguilla), including 2 older people, 8 year old and 18 months baby. I wouldn't think twice about doing a ferry if it were just me and my husband.
Lura, absolutely - I would appreciate any tips/suggestions. Good restaurants? Any interesting night spots (for when we leave the baby with the parents....)

penny Nov 2nd, 2005 03:55 AM

Not Lura but I can answer your dining questions. You have chosen the right island---too many wonderful choices!

I would suggest you go to www.menus.ai
to check out some of the selections.

My personal favorites--Mangos, Trattoria
Tramonto both on the beach--great settings/food etc. Blanchard's --try
to read the book "A Trip to the Beach"-
a nice introduction to what Anguilla is all about. Other fine spots--Altamer,
Pimms, Covecastles, Hibernia, Straw Hat,
The Barrel Stay.

A great casual spot for all the family, Picantes. Also Tastys, and E's Oven.
Check out Cedar Grove at Rendezvous
Bay Hotel--last spring they had a Jazz singer on Tuesday nights.

Night spots--Pumphouse, Johnnos--

Lots of anguilla info www.anguillianforum.com

Also do a search on this forum.

Enjoy!!