- where to stay ($200-300/night)

- bugs - how bad are they this time of year

- weather

- ease of travel (from Boston)

Thanks!

Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kate,

My husband and I went on our honeymoon to Anguilla in early December 2007 and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. In fact, we plan on returning again this year.
We stayed at the Frangipani, where we will stay again, for $200/nt + tax. It was a great choice -- on a quiet, great beach and near some of the best restaurants on the island. Plus, the hotel is newly renovated.
While we were there, it rained almost every day about once. But each storm lasted about 20 minutes. Otherwise, the weather was gorgeous, sunny and very warm. Very few people are there in early December, and we had the beach to ourselves a few days.

I don't have personal experience with T &C. However, a colleague of mine just returned from her honeymoon there in March. She said the beach and weather was wonderful. However, the restaurants are nowhere near as good as those on Anguilla. But if your goal is to do a lot of snorkeling and scuba, T & C is probably a better choice, as the scuba and snorkeling are supposedly fabulous there. Anguilla is known for its beaches, but not scuba....

Hope this helps!
Old May 4th, 2008, 05:10 AM

I visited T&C (Provo) in late April - early May and early December 2007 and Anguilla in April 2008.

My thoughts on the questions you raised are provided below.

Accommodations: Generally, I think you get more for your money on Provo. Your budget will work for studio and/or one BR units (including taxes and resort fees - both islands add 20%) at any of the mid-range hotels (RWI, Sands, Alexandra, Ocean Clubs, and you may even be able to get a luxury room at the Regent Palms. Most of the mid-range hotels on Provo are newer and more upgraded than comparably priced properties in Anguilla, and most of the choices on Provo have kitchens/kitchenettes and washers/dryers if that matters. Places to consider in Anguilla in that price range include: Frangipani (as recommended by the previous poster; this place is really nice (recently renovated) but was more expensive than what the previous poster stated when I researched it for my trip this year), Carimar, Anguilla Great House, Rendezvous Bay Hotel (I think it will be open then but am not sure), Ku, and Shoal Bay Villas. There may be a few more choices, but I am noting the places that I considered, which were at the lower end of your range.

Bugs: I get some bites everywhere I go, but bugs (assuming you mean mosquitos) are not really seasonal. There are more after rainy periods, and less if it is windy.

Weather: T&C may be a little cooler because it is further north, but unless you hit an especially cold, rainy, or windy week, it should be pretty comfortable in early December (average highs in high 70s - low 80s and lows in low 70s).

Ease of travel: I don't know the specific details of travel from Boston but suspect that T&C will be a little easier. I believe there are nonstop flights to T&C, buth they may only be during high season and/or on certain days of the week. Otherwise, you most likely can fly one-stop to Provo (PLS) on several airlines with both segments on larger jets. Anguilla probably will be somewhat more complicated. The only flights directly into AXA are from San Juan (on American Eagle turboprops) or via connection on small planes from SXM. A lot of people fly into SXM (you may be able to get there nonstop from Boston) and then take a ferry to Anguila.

Hope this helps!
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Sorry, I realized I hadn't answered your questions regarding bugs and ease of travel. When we were in Anguilla in early December, there were very few bugs. But as BeachDreams points out, they seem connected to the rain.

We did quite a bit of research on how to get to Anguilla from Philly (where we live). The two options we came across, as BeachDreams mentions, were flying direct into St. Maartens, getting a 20-min. taxi ride to the ferry stand from the airport, and then taking a ferry to Anguilla (and then getting another taxi to our hotel).

The other option was having a connection in San Juan, PR and flying directly into Anguilla.

We chose the first option of taking the ferry because it was about $100 cheaper pp for airfare to fly into SXM. But, in hindsight, I think flying through PR to Anguilla is better. It saves the time getting a taxi and meeting the ferry schedule on SXM (which took a couple hours in all). Also, a storm had rolled in the morning we arrived in SXM and so the 25-min. ferry ride to Anguilla was very choppy and several people felt very ill (including my husband). I hear that was very abnormal, but since early December is prone to some storms on Anguilla, it's something to consider.

In terms of the Frangipani's price, we got the best rate ($200/nt.) by staying Dec. 9 - 14. The prices jump considerably after Dec. 16 (heading into the holidays). We remarked how it was the best time to be there. Not only were the prices low, but we felt like we had the island to ourselves... besides a few other couples we'd run into all over the place.

Old May 4th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Kate,

You didn't mention your general preferences (quieter resort, family friendly, particular amenities that are important to you) or how many of you are traveling, which would have an impact on recommended places to stay. My initial recommendations were based on your budget and places I considered within that price range. I also focused on beachfront hotels. For Provo, you can sometimes find better prices for some condo resorts on vrbo.com too.

Kelly,

Just to clarify, I saw the $200/night for Frangi that you mentioned listed as a special on the resort's website for May - early Dec 2007 (for several different room categories), but for 2008, the special rates increased to $220/285/350 for luxury no view/luxury ocean view/junior suites respectively. These are the rates before taxes/service charges. If you were able to find better rates for Frangi for this year, where did you find them? I would jump at a junior suite for $200 + taxes/service charges.

FYI, I flew into AXA via SJU, and I was glad I did this for a first trip because it was easier. I tend to get seasick sometimes, and I was glad I didn't have to deal with the ferry after a long travel day. I used a frequent flyer awards ticket, but if I had not done so, it would have cost a lot more to fly to AXA, and I probably would have dealt with the ferry rather than pay almost twice as much for the AXA flight.
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Hi BeachDreams,

No, sorry, the $200 was just what we paid in early December 2007 -- I haven't looked into 2008 rates yet.

However, we paid $200 a night for the no-view room and were upgraded upon arrival to a room with a great ocean view.... Another benefit to going "offseason".
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
NM

Our family travels out of Boston and visited Provo in Dec. 07. We also visit AXA annually. Air--easier from Boston to Provo--go Bos-NY & NY-Provo. When traveling to AXA there are options but you have to take 2 flights and a ferry. We agree there are more accomm. options on Provo but the dining is better on AXA. There are more beaches on AXA and the off-beach snorkeling is decent. Grace Bay on Provo is wonderful but there are fewer beaches than AXA --diving is great on Provo and beach snorkeling is fine from about 3 locations. AXA is friendlier and the general vibe is more laid-back. Much more development on Provo and more options for day trips to other islands. All in all, they are both great options. AXA quieter--Provo busier--more to do. Both have bugs, as does any paradise, but we found it slightly buggier on Provo.