Anguilla -- Best beaches, best resorts

Aug 18th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Anguilla -- Best beaches, best resorts

My fiancee and I are planning a 5-night trip to Anguilla for late November/early December. We'd like to know: What are the best beaches on the island (we like to swim in the water), and what's the best hotel/resort for $150 - $250/night?
Many thanks for any advice you can offer!
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:16 PM

We liked staying at Ku on Shoal Bay East. The beach was AMAZING, and you should be able to get a room there for that price in Nov/early Dec.
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:37 PM

I can help you with your beach question. Here's a link to my trip report. I listed the beaches we went to and attached pictures:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...5&tid=34978650
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Beach girl, we'll check out Ku. And caribtraveler, the detail in your report is absolutely wonderful. We've been looking at Frangipani, which gets decent reviews on Tripadvisor. It looks like the reviews have improved immensely under the resort's new management. Too bad, but I think Rendevous has closed for upgrades.. am I right about that?
CuisinArt and Cap Juluca look great, but too pricey (especially without including food!) Any other particular resorts or beaches you'd recommend?
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Caribtraveler,
Thanks for such anawesome trip report! We are visiting Anguilla in Novemeber and this was so helpful.

Kathleen
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Kelly1212 - did you book your hotel? I am looking at the KU for myself in early Nov. thanks to the recomendations posted here. I know it falls in your price range

Caribtraveler- love your report as it's helpful in knowing what to expect as far as prices. I'm looking forward to going depsite the recent comments about the crime. The only thing I can't decide is that if I'm flying into SXM and plan on having a shopping day there, if I should stay there for the first 2 nights and then head over to Anguilla. Between the taxis and ferry, it seems to not make sense to go back and forth...thoughts? Any suggestions where to stay in SXM?
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Kelly1212: Yes, I think Rendezvous Bay Resort is now closed. If not, it should be closed by your travel dates. We originally were considering Ku until we realized they didn't take kids under 7, so that could be a good option for you.

Kathleen: Have a great time in Anguilla.

Absolutkz: Anguilla is still a lot safer than a lot of places in this world. We never once felt uncomfortable during our trip. However, just because we were on vacation on a "safe" island, that did not mean we didn't pay attention to our surroundings. We did. We always do so, no matter where we go.
I haven't stayed on St. Maarten/St. Martin yet so I can't offer any real advice. I have had my eye on "Le Petit Hotel" on the French side though.

To all of you, there are just a few Anguilla "experts" who frequent this board but I haven't seen them post in awhile (HowardC and MaryD come to mind). I've only been once so I'm certainly not one. I would recommend you post your questions on www.anguillaforum.com if you haven't already. The "Anguilla obsessed" are all there (and I mean that in a nice way).
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Absolutkz: I think the back and forth would be a bit tedious for a day of shopping. I'd stay on SXM for a day or 2. Maybe others can weigh in on that too.
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:18 AM

I know you mentioned Cuisinart was too pricey, but don't miss Rendezvous Bay where Cuisinart is located. It's a beautiful beach to swim and walk on. The water is a delight. We like to swim too.
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM
ALR

Just back from Frangipani and if their special rates are in effect when you plan to go to the island, I would definately recommend it. Their rooms have been upgraded under new ownership/management and the suites are really nice with granite kitchens and cave showers in the bathrooms. The staff is great and the resort offers restaurant, bar service, watersports, etc.
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM

caribtraveler thanx for your detail. am headed to anguilla early november . my friend and i renteda villa at sea rocks between island harbour and shoal bay east. - we rented on st. john last year and are now villa spoiled. no noisy neighbor worries and private pool, and no we don't cook even tho there is a full kitchen but the kitchen has a blender....your post was very helpful. Kelly1212, it's your post after all, I cannot give you first hand info but we plan on doing a day in st. martin we have a rental car as well for 215/wk including insurance the villa with service charges runs about 325 /night
Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:57 AM

Hi. U will LOVE Anguilla!!!!! was there this past may second visit for 3 1/2 wks. stayed in villa so can't comment on Ku but have heard good things about it & also Shoal Bay villa's as other poster stated........ Anguillaforum.com is loaded with info!!! a regular ourselves! Good Luck
Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM

Ku or Shoal Bay Villas would both be good choices -- both are on Shoal Bay East which is reef protected and tends to be the calmest in November. Meads Bay (Frangipani) can be rough that time of year -- we have stayed many times and love sleeping to the pounding surf but for guaranteed "swimming waters", I'd pick Shoal Bay East in November/December.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the suggestions! We actually ended up booking a "no-view" room at Frangipani, which was within our budget. But I have a some questions:
-- What does no-view mean? No view of the beach?
-- Are all the rooms nice, or should we be inquiring which room we're getting?
-- What's the best way to get to Anguilla? Should we fly to St. Martin and take the ferry (since flights are about $100 cheaper), or spend more to fly into Anguilla's airport?
-- Where's the most affordable place to rent a car on the island?
Sorry for all the questions. We're obviously still pretty early in the planning process.
Best,
Kelly
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM

No view means no view of the beach. We always fly into to St. Martin because (a) it's cheaper and (b) American Airlines which operates the flights into AXA seems to have no problem with cancelling or changing times so that you may end up wasting the better part of a day (or evening) getting there. Lots of car rentals. We use Avis and have found if you book online before your trip, the rates are hard to beat. All of the rental companies will deliver your car to your resort or villa.
Aug 24th, 2007, 04:23 AM
ALR

Yes, No View must mean no view of the beach. My son had a room which did not have a view, but did have a small patio that was somewhat enclosed. It's a small room, but the resort makes up for it with its beach and staff and other amenities. Go an enjoy!
Aug 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Sorry I haven't posted in a while but have been wrapped around the axle having a house built on St Croix. Finally closed last week. Anyway Kelly Have stayed at Frangipani over 20 times Since 1992 but not since it was taken over by new owners two years ago. In Feb we stayed at KU' The non view rooms are actually the second and third bedrooms of a suite. On the ground floor they are 1B,2B and 3B and C. They have small patios with about a 6 ft. wallfor privacy. On the second floor 5B and 6B have partial views and 5C has a balcony with a view of the parking lot. Don't know how much 7A is but it is a small efficiency suite with kitchen, small balcony to sit on and a view. Although we loved Frangipani in the past it is rather out of our price range now for a one bedroom suite. Even though you have already made reservations I think you would get more bang for your buck at Turtles Nest. wwwturtlesnestbeachresort.com. It is next door to Frang and very nice. They have completed the second phase which included a large pool and more condos. You can get a large one bedroom suite with kitchen and they are very nice. Might be within your price range and worth checking out. Re rental Cars--None at the airport but Island Car Rental is within walking distance of the terminal. We normally use Carib Rent a Car which is right next to Frangipani.
Aug 25th, 2007, 07:32 AM

P.S. If you do a HowardC search here you will probably find some of my Anguilla Trip reports