Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Aneganda or Jost Van Dyke for day trip from Virgin Gorda?

Aneganda or Jost Van Dyke for day trip from Virgin Gorda?

Jan 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Aneganda or Jost Van Dyke for day trip from Virgin Gorda?

Hi everyone,

In June my family (kids will be 16 and 12) will be taking a 1st trip to the Virgin Islands (staying in the USVI first, then the BVI). In the BVI, we will be staying on Virgin Gorda.

While on Virgin Gorda, we want to spend 1 day visiting another island (most likely via ferry, rather than a day sail trip - we need to save the money for our scuba diving trips!). Should we choose Aneganda or Jost Van Dyke?

I think logistically it would be better to choose Aneganda (35 min. ferry ride from Virgin Gorda, I've read?). I don't know how long it would take to get to Jost (guess we'd ferry to Tortola, then over to Jost?).

So which island should be choose? Would one island be more fun for the kids than the other? We'd like to snorkel a bit, have a nice lunch, and see a bit of the island.

I know on Aneganda we can have a nice lobster lunch.... but on Jost we could visit Foxy's and the Soggy Dollar, correct?

Thanks for helping us decide!

Carole
Jan 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Oh, also... since we hope to do this day trip via ferry... is one of the islands "easier" to do this way, then the other?

Thanks again.

Carole
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:30 AM

That is a tough choice as to which island. Here is a link to the ferry schedules shttp://www.bvivacations.com/Ferry.html Maybe that will help to make your decision. The ferry goes directly from VG to Jost on Sundays only. Otherwise you would have to go to Road Town, then taxi to West End to get to Jost. The Ferry to Anegada runs Mon Wed and Fri and originates in Road Town and stops at VG if there are passengers to pick I believe.
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:57 AM

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_anegada_vg.htm Link for the Anegada ferry.
Jan 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Brenandg - that second link is the same ferry schedule I've been looking at. I like it because you can select the exact departure point and destination and see ONLY that route.

We actually leave the BVI to return home on a Sunday morning... so the ferry to Jost on that day worn't work, unfortunately.

If we decide on Aneganda, we'll have to remember to call a day ahead and tell them to pick us up on VG... thanks for the reminder!

Carole
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

By the way, brenandg - which island do you think is more "stunningly beautiful"?

Carole
Jan 14th, 2007, 07:32 PM

We haven't been to Anegada, so I can't give you firsthand experience. If I had the opportunity, I would go there in a heartbeat. It is called "The drowned island" as it's highest point is about 28 feet above sea level. The degree of difficulty getting there makes it all the more enticing. You can't go wrong with either in our opinion. Since getting to Jost is not that feasable, I would definitely check out Anegada without question, but that is just us.
Jan 14th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks brenandg - Aneganda is the "easiest" option... but I keep reading the rave reviews about Jost. BOTH islands look gorgeous from the pictures I've seen.
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

oops... I just found out it's Anegada... sorry for the misspelling!!

Carole
Jan 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM

The snorkeling on Anegada will be a disappointment. The coral is about 75% dying or dead yet he lobster lunch (ask for a 2+ lb. one) and it will cost $30.The snorkeling at Jost is better "right now" a little less coral bleaching but Foxy's is nothing special but a pub in the Caribbean.
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM

I agree with StanKase. While Foxy's is an icon, I wouldn't really bother with it during the day. If you go to Jost, I would head straight to White Bay. Taxi is $5pp but the walk is hot, very steep and hilly. We take the taxi
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I have to disagree with the "Foxy's" statement.
On all of our past day trips to Jost have begun with a couple of beers at Foxy's. If you are there in the morning (and most day trips on the boats are there during that time) you are treated to Foxy and his ditties. Last trip (last week) he was out for a bit, no songs, but some jokes.
We asked about the boat "Endeavor" that he was helping sponsor for the island kiddos to encourage knowledge of island life. We asked about it and he took us out for a tour, answered all our questions, he has taken us through the beer process in previous years.
He is a really great guy, almost a genius in my book as he has so many other endeavors, but appears the normal guy, and he is the normal guy...but I think in the end, he is a mil.........

Just want to say, catch him while you can!!!
Sorry if I am going overboard on this one
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Sorry, soggydollar, I didn't mean to offend you It was absolutely nothing against Foxy himself! I just heard that it is hit or miss with seeing him and didn't know how much a 12 and 16 year old would appreciate it.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM

brenandg: know what, it may not be what your teens will be interested in! Also, 3 yrs ago our teens were mildly interested. But Foxy is not out there for too long. We arrived on the 10 am ferry, walked over, and within a few minutes, Foxy was out there; but telling jokes, not singing dittys. One of the guys who hangs out there said he had some throat ailments and was not singing anymore.
But who knows...
I was just starting to go on and on and erased it. There are just lots of irons in the fire there. Probably not so interesting for the kids, but then you get to go to White Bay!!Our teens loved it there, we got lunch at Soggy Dollar, then DH and I hung out there and kids swam aand sunned.

So, no disagreement, we all have different needes at different times and that is a deciding factor in any trip...
Jan 15th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - We're leaning toward Anegada, but will have to think about it some more.

StanKase - Snorkeling isn't that big of a deal on this particular day trip, since we'll be doing some (other) scuba dive / snorkel trips during our visit to the BVIs.

I just wish we had the time to visit both islands. I appreciate all the help!

Carole
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:16 AM

oops...just rereading my "lindsay lohan type" rambling post that did not make too much sense!
Rum punch was flowing last night, have to apologize, for sounding like an idiot!!
brendang:
I also did not mean to sound snotty if that is how I came across!!
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Your 16 and 12 year old need to know first hand what silence and tranquility is.

The world is very very noisy and rude.

Anegada will bring your family a colective soothing experience.

Pink gflamingos are there..and its a remarkable island atoll.

Jan 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow... sounds wonderful, marblehead. We now have Anegada solidified in our plans!

Can't wait to see the pink flamingos.

Carole
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Puleeze do a trip report when you return. I wanna know if Anegada is worth the hassle to get there. It looks phenomenal.
Jan 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Brenda:
From what I have heard it is VERY worth it. The difficulty in getting there has kept it a relative secret jewel in the Caribbean. Some day I'll basking on Cow Wreck Beach with a cold one.

Search this Thread