Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Anegada - Neptune's or Anegada Reef (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/anegada-neptunes-or-anegada-reef-704573/)

GerdaFaust May 12th, 2007 11:21 AM

Anegada - Neptune's or Anegada Reef

Planning a 10-day trip to Anegada for next winter. Would anyone be able to compare these two properties? Thanks.

cawhite May 12th, 2007 06:06 PM

Did you check on the BVI section of traveltalkonline.com? I've seen lots of information on both of these properties there.

LvSun May 13th, 2007 08:23 AM

Stayed at Anegada Reef Hotel a couple years ago. It is rough but clean. Excellent, excellent food. The people who run it are great. They have cars you can rent but better be sure to do it far in advance.

One of the really fun things about Anegada Reef Hotel is that sail boats dock and come in for dinner and hang around the bar. Everyone talks to one another and it is really fun to swap tales with people from all over the world.

Was on the grounds of the Neptune but don't know much about it.

Note: While both places set on the shoreline, the waters are not ones for swimming, snorkeling etc. You want to head to either end of the island for water fun.

I LOVED Anegada - it is very unique. However... we stayed for 7 days but wished we had only stayed for 5. Ran out of novel things to do. I can be pretty happy just laying on a beach, reading, and swimming but (hubby can't) but even I was ready to leave and find new adventure after 5 days. If you are planning a 10 day trip, I would advise you to spend 5 on Anegada then 5 on Tortola or Virgin Gorda.

PS: Take lots of books. There is no where to buy them.

LvSun May 13th, 2007 08:24 AM

Forgot to mention, also check tripadvisor.com for info on Anegada.

burnsie May 14th, 2007 06:55 PM

I would stay at the Anegada Beach Cottages, just down the road from Neptunes. We loved it. Complete solitude. But we went to get away from it all and had no desire to hang out at the Reef or Neptunes at night, but we did have fun hanging out at the local store getting to know the locals. We had lunch out a couple times out at cow wreck and loblolly bay. Dinner we went in to town and just had what ever Dot was making at her bakery that day and brought it back to our cottage. She makes a killer key-lime pie. I'm jealous your going to Anegada.
We are getting ready to take our 4 kids to Puerto Rico, and frankly, Anegada by ourselves is sounding pretty good right about now!

GerdaFaust May 15th, 2007 04:46 AM

Thanks for replies so far. Burnsie, is it possible to buy food and provisions easily there, for preparation in the cottage kitchen? Also, did you need/have a car at the cottages; whom should I contact for car rental/cost?

burnsie May 15th, 2007 06:37 AM

When it came to provisions, we did both. We loaded a small cooler and took it on board the plane with us and got other things while there. We did need a jeep when we arrived. They met us at the airport. As far as car rental goes, we got our jeep through D.W. Jeep Rentals (495-8018 or 9677), but also ABC Rentals (495-9466). I have an old thread you can review our first trip there (from Feb 2005) we've been back since, it is a great place to detox from life.
Hope this helps!