Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   "American" food in St. Martin (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/american-food-in-st-martin-472920/)

LM2002 Sep 8th, 2004 12:13 PM

"American" food in St. Martin

My husband & I are going to St. Martin this winter and I'm trying to find out about the restaurants on the island. My husband is pretty picky about his food, he doesn't like to try new foods, especially different ethnic foods (French, etc.) Can anyone tell me how easy it is to find "American" burgers, pizza, etc. on the island? Any recommendations for restaurants?

Thanks!

Statia Sep 8th, 2004 12:23 PM

It's quite easy, especially on the Dutch side. I am thinking Cheri's Cafe, Mark's Place, and Rics, for starters. Where are you staying and maybe I can make some more recommendations.

LM2002 Sep 8th, 2004 01:03 PM

We're staying either at Orient Beach or Grand Case. We have some friends that are staying at Grand Case so we'll probably be spending a bit of time there.

Statia Sep 8th, 2004 01:46 PM

Grand Case is where I prefer to stay, as well. That area is known as the Gourmet Capitol of the Caribbean, and the restaurants mostly consist of French and other international food. However, I know that you can get a good hamburger at a couple of places in the area, as I've been with people who have done so. Unfortunately, exact names of establishments escape me at the moment.

There is one place in particular that is on the beach, has a nice pool, and offers massages. I can highly recommend their burgers and other limited American fare. There is also a restaurant called "California" which has pizza and such.

As for Orient, you shouldn't have a problem finding American food at various restaurants in that area, as well.

So, don't fret. I'm sure you will be able to find places that serve American fare suitable to your hubby while you are in St. Martin. Just shop around and look at menus posted outside as you stroll around.

LM2002 Sep 8th, 2004 01:50 PM

Thanks much, Statia!

RAB Sep 9th, 2004 08:59 AM

I hope you will have the good sense to send your husband off on his own for his hamburgers while you enjoy the variety that St. Martin has to offer. More seriously, he shouldn't have any problems with lunches at beach bars, and most restaurants post menus so that he can see what is available before going in. Beware, however, that French pizzas are often quite different from typical US style.

baker Sep 9th, 2004 05:09 PM

I wonder if Statia is thinking of Calmos Cafe in Grand case or maybe L'Amandier (sp?). They are right on the beach and have a pool, bar and retaurant. How about the "lolos" or rib shacks in Grand Case, especially Talk of the Town. They serve BBQ'd ribs, chicken, salads; you can really pig out for about US$10.

You can get lots of pizza in SXM but it's more of the thin crust variety and is eaten with knife and fork rather than fingers. One great little place is Le Petit Cul de Sac in Cul de Sace (between GC and Orient).

How about Entrecote or steak/frites?

In my house I'm the more picky eater but there is usually always a chicken dish, salads, steak wherever. And love those creme caramels or chocolate mousse oe tarte tatin!!!

Carola22 Sep 9th, 2004 10:33 PM

Some restaurants in Grand Case that we've eaten at are Le Cottage an Le Tastevin. Both of them have excellent French food! Other restaurants in Grand Case about which I've read good reports are L'Alabama and Il Nettuno.

Statia Sep 10th, 2004 04:58 AM

baker, L'Amandier is exactly the place I was thinking of. We often take friends there for lunch when they visit SXM on a cruise for the day. Thank you! It's a lovely place to hang out and the food is good, too.

I was going to suggest the Lolo's, too, due to the similarity between Caribbean and American food. Ribs, chicken legs, lobster, rice & peas, potato salad, cole slaw, etc. A definite bang for your buck and a true Caribbean experience in food.

stbarts Sep 10th, 2004 05:35 AM

The island has almost every fast food joint the states has, you will feel right at home, if thats what you want for a vacation!

LM2002 Sep 10th, 2004 09:02 AM

Thanks for the tip on the French pizza. But I'd love to see his face when he thinks he's ordering his regular old pizza! I've heard about the lolo's, they sound great. And it's good to know about the fast food places for a back-up when we just can't find anything else for him. :-) I'm less nervous about going there, now, and I'll be sure to enjoy all the local tastes myself!

tropicaldan Sep 17th, 2004 03:29 PM

There's MacDonalds, KFC, and Burger King if he's really unadventurous, but there are also many American-owned bars and restaurants, particularly in Simpson Bay, that serve excellent food. Hot Tomatoes, Buccaneers, Boathouse, Rics, Peg Leg Pub are just a few that spring to mind.

If you are staying in Grand Case though American menus are harder to find. The local lolos offer good ribs and fried chicken fare, but dining at one of the finer French restaurants shouldnt be missed. Le Cottage is my own favourite, we go at least once a month. Pricey though!