Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Am I crazy... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/am-i-crazy-560786/)

inasmom Sep 25th, 2005 07:29 PM

Am I crazy...

For planning a trip to anywhere in the Carribean the last week of Oct? DH is quite skittish regarding hurricane season and we NEED a vacation!! Any input? Looks like The Dorado Hyatt in PR or Our Lucaya on Grand Bahama are in top contention...

Carola22 Sep 25th, 2005 10:54 PM

You should be pretty safe if you go to Aruba - most stable climate in the Caribbean! Not entirely outside the 'hurricane belt' but really the chances of a hurricane occurring there are quite low. We've been there several times around that time of year, and always had fantastic weather.

Diana Sep 26th, 2005 03:37 AM

I think Caribbean travel in late October is fine. (Historically, anyway.)

I am going for three weeks from October 20th on. We used to go over Labor Day for many years, but had a lot of close calls as that is the highest period of likelihood to run into trouble.

After mid-Sept, chances go way down and storms tend to form a bit further north.

fwiw, the Bahamas are not really in the Caribbean, and GB would not be my first choice for relaxation, but that's just my opinion.

As Carola pointed out, generally the Southern islands are less likely to get hit - of course Grenada bucked that theory in 2004 and 2005 - but usually Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are considered to be much less likely to get hit with hurricanes.

LauraD Sep 26th, 2005 07:42 AM

I had a week in Anguilla booked and paid for in Oct 1999. Hurricane blew the island away and closed the resort (Cap Juluca) till the following year. It was the very last week in October.

ONZGO Sep 26th, 2005 08:34 AM

Hurricane season runs from June to end of November. The height of hurricane season is September, but the further you go away from that month, the least likely you are to get a hurricane. Anywhere in the Caribbean is a gamble for a hurricane, even Aruba that is promoted by Aruba tourism to be outside the hurricane belt really isn't and is in fact on the southern fringes of the hurricane belt. There was a hurricane warning out for Aruba last fall when Ivan went through the area. Luckily Ivan just missed Aruba, but there was major flooding, beach errosion and damage to some hotels. Barbados is another island that rarely gets a hurricane as are all the islands starting with St. Lucia and going south, but it is always a gamble, but I would not worry about the end of October too much, but there is still a small chance of one happening.

christiegr Sep 28th, 2005 03:39 AM

inasmom,
If you buy trip insurance..you will be fine...wherever you go.;)Sometimes hurricane season is the best time to go on vacation because the beaches are alot less crowded.

We went to St John..Sept.15-20th and had good weather and it was very quite.

Good luck!