Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Alternate to Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/alternate-to-hawaii-922299/)

gjcolley Feb 1st, 2012 04:18 PM

Alternate to Hawaii

My husband and I are looking to renue our vows and we are flying our close family to be with us. We want to go to an island that is like Hawaii, with the mountains. If it's flat its like florida to us. We are looking for an area that is at least 4 stars. Our date is 1/2/13 so any suggestions over New Years would be greatly appreciated.

qwovadis Feb 2nd, 2012 02:19 AM

For Carib

jademountain.com
roundhill.com

or

visitcostarica.com
hotelvillacaletas.com
arenal.net tabacon.com

My fav most nature hot springs beach volcanoes cool nature
prettier in some ways than Hawaii for me in winter.

spirit.com aa.com jetblue.com cheap air
costarica.bookit.com cheap lodging sales.

Happy Hunting!

qwovadis Feb 2nd, 2012 02:23 AM

Views of lush tropical rainforests with the emerald green ocean complement some of the most breathtaking sunsets you will ever see while ... Wedding at Amphitheater. ...

https://www.hotelvillacaletas.com/the_hotel

PERFECT place to Renew Vows in a Greek ampitheatre
overlooking the Pacific 1 hour from SJO airport.
Secretly planning to surprise my wife with this for our 40th

Congrats!

KVR Feb 2nd, 2012 05:30 AM

St. Lucia, Jamaica, Dominica, Grenada, Costa Rica.

Since you plan on going over a holiday, some hotels will require a specific number of nights. It's also the most expensive, busiest time of the year so expect to pay top dollar for air and hotel. If a budget is an issue, Jamaica will be the least expensive option.

travel4425 Feb 4th, 2012 06:23 AM

Yes Jamaica will definalty be cheaper, however its a little "cookie cutter" If you want more exotic go to St. Lucia

suze Feb 5th, 2012 08:17 PM

You can hardly call ALL of Jamaica "cookie cutter". Sheez. Depends where on the island you go, where you stay. All the garden bungalow places on the Cliffs in Negril are anything but ordinary.

For something more like Hawaii (meaning lush with mountains) you need the larger islands.

KVR Feb 6th, 2012 05:57 AM

Not understanding the Jamaica "cookie cutter" comment either. ??? Have been to Jamaica twice and St. Lucia once. They are very similar to each other.

travel4425 Feb 6th, 2012 04:22 PM

oh my god, i have been to both and its like apples and oranges. Everyone and their dog has been to
Jamacia, i only know a handful of people that have been to St. Lucia, thus making the mommets more intimate, since everyone is not relating to you! the only thing they have in common is that they are in the same region of the world.

suze Feb 6th, 2012 05:07 PM

Just because YOU only know a "handful of people" that have been to St. Lucia, doesn't mean manything. And "everyone and their dog" has not been to Jamaica.

To the OP, finding a place "like Hawaii" in the Caribbean is a bit of a stretch is all. Everything about the region is so very different.

KVR Feb 7th, 2012 05:34 AM

Since the OP basically stated they are looking for an Island like Hawaii with mountians, my thought would be Islands that are similar in topograpahy.

To me, Jamaica and St. Lucia are very similar in topography to Hawaii. Jamaica does have the better beaches and is the least expensive destination. St. Lucia might favor more to Kauai.

For some reason travel4425 has this definative obession with St. Lucia. Why, I could care less, but when responding to an OP's question it should be taken into consideration what they are actually asking/looking for in their vacation. Offering up St. Lucia just because it's your favorite destination is not helpful.

travel4425 Feb 7th, 2012 09:51 AM

neither are your words, KVR.....

suze Feb 7th, 2012 02:19 PM

Yes they are. KVR actually described things she sees and knows about the two different islands and finds them similar. You (travel4425) haven't told us any single thing! Once again, just because you only know a "handful" of people who have been to St Lucia, doesn't mean anything. What is so great about it? Where in Jamaica did you stay that you found so "cookie cutter"?

for the OP, take a look at www.tensingpen.com just to get an idea of the kinds of unique places you can find in Jamaica.

KVR Feb 7th, 2012 03:27 PM

Thank you Suze. You and I as well as many others on this board have been sharing and giving travel information for years and our knowledge and opinions are well received and respected. This travel4425 person just joined this month and if you will notice many of the posts he has made his comments are rather brash, unhelpful and lend toward to being a troll. He tries to give the impression that he is well traveled and knowledgable when in fact his comments come across rather rude and inexperienced. Not only in travel but in manners. Hopefully, if this person chooses to stay and continues to contribute to this forum, he will learn with time, patients and more travel how to properly respond to questions and posts.

travel4425 Feb 7th, 2012 04:34 PM

I would put my traveling experience against anyone here. Inexperienced I am not. I will accept brash, though.

travel4425 Feb 7th, 2012 05:00 PM

Also KVR, i would hardly call being all over the Caribbean, well-traveled! Try Australia, Iceland, and Antarctica and then get back with me!!!!

suze Feb 7th, 2012 05:22 PM

travel4425, So far you have said nothing helpful, with the small exception that Jamaica is less expensive than St Lucia.

If you want to contribute to a travel forum you need to give people ideas and answers to their questions. Not just brag about how well traveled you are, throw out one-liners, and insult the other posters.

So you like St Lucia... WHY? You don't like Jamaica... WHY? What 4-star resort do you suggest they go to over New Years?

suze Feb 7th, 2012 05:24 PM

Perhaps you didn't notice, no one asked about Australia, Iceland or Antarctica.

KVR Feb 8th, 2012 06:00 AM

Most everyone that posts here has knowledge and experience in what they post about. It's not a contest or competetion as to who is the most traveled. I didn't say you weren't traveled, I said from your comments you appear to be inexperienced. Maybe if you stop being so brash you will be precieved better.

However, the inexperienced, newbie questions you are asking on the cruise boards shows that maybe you really aren't as well traveled as you boast to be. Being well traveled doesn't mean to a specific destination. Just because I don't particually travel outside of the US, Caribbean and Mexico doesn't mean I'm not well traveled in those areas. If you notice I don't tend to respond to questions that are outside of my realm of knowledge, as well you shouldn't either.

If it matters to you, the more you post with your brash, childish bragging, the less people are going to take you seriously and just skip over what you have to say. If you want to actually contribute and be helpful, then be nice and stop acting like a troll.

Kristy88 Feb 8th, 2012 01:40 PM

Are you looking mainly for an island like Hawaii for sightseeing?

I would go with St. Lucia if you want something similar to Hawaii. If you want something with exceptional beaches and mountains I would go for Jamaica. I have not been to St. Lucia or Jamaica but I have been to most of the Hawaiian islands. St. John and the US Virgin Islands have smaller mountains, but not really that similar to Hawaii IMO. I don't think there is any waterfalls or some of the other things you might find in Hawaii in the Virgin Islands.