Arriving in MoBay-Need Taxi Advice to Negril

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be flying into Mobay mid-May. Staying at Catcha Falling Star in Negril-how much should the 2 of us expect to pay a driver to take us there?

Can we use US currency and Visa/Amex for all our shopping/dining needs while there?

Thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Should run you about $35 per person each way. U.S. currency is widely accepted just about everywhere. Visa and Amex are good, too. There is an ATM near the bank in the main square of Negril for all of your needs. Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:32 PM

check clives transportation or alfreds taxi, shared rides are about $20 pp, book online. also look at negril.com, there's alot of very good info for you there. you can use $us but there is a cambio near hi lo that you can exchange to $ja and it will save you $. you did good picking catcha falling star, it's a very nice place!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Can't wait to go! Thanks so much for the good advice. I did hear from a friend restaurant service is quite slow. Is this generally the case? Can we safely drink local water there, or should we always buy bottled?

I kept reading the greatest reviews about Catcha. Almost did something totally different-was very drawn to Strawberry Hill.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM

why drink water when they have Red Stripe???!!!!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 04:11 PM

We used Clive's Transportation and it was $20pp with a free red stripe! The website is http://www.clivestransportservicejam...ransfers_1.htm. They were waiting for us when we arrived and picked us up on time to get us back to Montego Bay. Great service! Have a great time, we LOVED Negril.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 02:08 AM

Restaurant service is very slow, but that's part of the charm ( some would say aggravation!) of being on "island-time." I am especially careful when I travel and always drink bottled water, brush my teeth with it, and stay away from ice, but if you've got a better stomach than me, you may be fine.
Old May 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Never thought of the brushing teeth w/bottled water but I guess it makes sense-extra precaution.

Just 2 weeks now before we leave. We finally got around to choosing a boarding facility for our 2 girls(chihuahua's)Their visit is going to cost almost what I paid for our r/t tickets on AirTran. Good grief!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM

I love Catcha Fallin Star although haven't been there since they added the new rooms on the property. CFS usually offers transfer service although I believe it was around 35/pp so Clives sounds cheaper.

And i feel your pain with pet-sitting. Try finding people (esp convenient if they're in the neighborhood) who you can trade with, i.e. you watch theirs when they travel and vice versa. Boarding or in-house visits are so expensive that finding alternative arrangements really freed up my budget to travel more. Have a wonderful time!
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:17 AM

just got back from ja. there were 4 of us and we used alfreds taxi, he has a very nice new large bus. a shared ride cost $15 pp each way, he was waiting for us with a sign at the airport and was on time picking us up on the return trip.you can book him online.
we used clives for a tour to ys falls and pelican bar because he was cheaper for that ($120 for 4 people) and his service was comparable to alfreds.
we stayed at idle awhile and then tensing pen,both very nice. we went to catcha for dinner twice(very good!) and went for drinks and to check out the new pool(small but nice).
if you will be there on saturday night be sure to go to the sea star for the $15 buffet(with live entertainment). seastar lane is across the road from catcha, we walked to and from no problem.
if you're feeling adventurous try alice's restaraunt across the street for lunch(billie is a trip!) also there is a little store across the street that you can get what you need. good luck, you'll have a great time!
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Really enjoyed reading your post-thanks for so much wonderful advice! We'll try Alfred's for sure.

Does anyone know if we will need an adapter for electricity in our hotel? DH will be traveling with a nebulizer.
I know when we traveled in Italy he had to have some type of converter.

Thanks!!
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM

i think it would be best to call the hotel and ask about the adapter for any appliance. i doubt that jamaica has a national electrical code as the US does, so you may or may not need adapters.
another good place to eat is the LTU PUB, next to catcha toward the lighthouse(go out the gate and turn right).
if you use a taxi make sure it has a RED license plate(insured to carry passengers).it will cost $100 ja pp(about $1 us) to go from the cliffs to the roundabout-then $100 ja pp from the roundabout to anyplace on the beach.
if you have time look at negril.com on the message board at the top you will see a title for -negril 101- there is alot of very good info there that may be a good idea to print and take with you. have fun!
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
pwj~ thanks for the report & especially recommendations for good restaurants on the cliffs. I'll be there this summer for 10 days (staying at Mirage, with friends at Tensing Pen) so appreciate the help... like knowing there's a little store nearby! great info.
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

We are at Catcha this very minute-lovely laid-back hotel, although locating a decent restaurant other than Ivan's is a challenge. Alice's was freaky-wouldn't dare eat anything in that dump. Good grief, what a creepy street this hotel is on! No wonder they have a security guard at the gate. Having 2nd thoughts-maybe we should have chosen an all-incl in Mobay.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Negril is not for everyone.
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

You have that right
It's very difficult to see the widespread poverty over here.
Many people live in what appears to be little shacks along the roadways-most are about the size of our walk-in closets at home in Atlanta. It's truly heartbreaking-folks standing on the streets & beaches, selling local fruits & foods to tourists. Taxi drivers everywhere, trying to get your attention. Wild goats are everywhere!
If your first trip, be very careful. Our hotel is gated with a guard for a reason. May be just fine for 20 or 30 somethings but more mature travelers may prefer an all-inclusive in Mobay area.
We can rec. both Mayfield Falls and YS Falls. Be wise! Get several prices from drivers for these day trips before choosing yours.Talk with fellow guests at your resort.
I did jump off the cliffs here at Catcha. Some men sitting nearby wouldn't even attempt it LOL!
We've had good food at Ivan's, Kuyaba's and LDU.
It's been an experience & we have been able to relax.We honestly had no idea about the poverty.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 03:43 AM

We had a great time in Jamaica, the people were very warm and friendly. It is a third world country so you will be expose to different level of poverty. Try not to let it spoil your holiday.

We did my research online before we went and got some good recommendation from different websites for Dunn's River Falls and Ricks Cafe. Wanted to do rafting but got sunburn and couldn't go. Our transportation from the airport was done through Jamaicascene.com and they did our tours.

Good site for research before you go. Website: http://www.jamaicascene.com/airport_transfers/index.php
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 06:59 AM

www.clivestransportservicejamaica.com
is who I used for round-trip transportation from the airport to Negril, then back. They were great.