Search

Almond Beach Village Barbados

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almond Beach Village Barbados

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about this place. It looks like it was renovated a couple of years ago and online it looks pretty nice.

My sister is planning to get married there soon and even though she and our parents are planning the trip, I've never been to the Carribean and don't know anything about all inclusive packages.

From what I've read, we should book on the "adult side" of the resort and are you really supposed to book all your dinners a week in advance?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:19 PM

when are you going to be there? I stayed there in November. yes, book on the adult side. your sister is probably going to get married in the old sugar mill they have there. it's beautiful.
I loved the hotel.. very charming.. staff and service is great..grounds are lovely.
we did not have to book our meals in
advance a week ahead, but we were there just in the beginning of high season. I don't know what it is like right now,for instance, in the high high season. Then it mights be tighter for reservations.

to the previous poster, that was not a very helpful response. If her sister is getting married there, then she needs information, not blatant negativity.
There is nothing wrong with Almond Beach Village in Barbados.
The only negative I would say about the place is the fact that it is AI.
I do not particularly like AI personally. There are many better eating choices on the island, but I am sure your sister's wedding will be lovely.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM

OOPS!
there was no previous poster, was there? sorry about that.
I saw that under another thread, I guess.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Barbara1,
I believe you’re referring to my post about the almond beach in Barbados on a different post. There are 2 almond resorts on the western side of barbados. We stayed at the one further south. That is the one I wouldn’t recommend. I didn’t want to leave a long winded message to the other poster about it if they were looking at the one on St. Lucia, as I haven’t been to the one on St. Lucia, which is why I posted that question to them before giving my opinion.

Anyway, we were less than impressed with the almond resort futher south. Note that we were there a few years ago, so it may have been renovated since then. The northern one was much nicer, and you do have access to both. The room we stayed in was small, dark and dingy. The staff was very unfriendly and unhelpful (both when we needed medical attention and with dining/restaurant services (only hotel we’ve been to where the staff was unfriendly, and we’ve done a lot of traveling). The beach was rocky and about 15 feet wide total. The beach next store was much better.

We did taxi up to the northern almond beach resort which was much larger and seemed nicer. I still didn’t find the beach there that nice compared to other beaches we’ve seen (St. John, Virgin Gorda). I’m sure if this couple did their research they’ll be happy with it. We just didn’t care for the more southern almond beach resort.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. The resort sounds great--I just don't know how this Barbados thing is going to work. It's pretty $$ from Toronto but there's too many stops flying from Detroit.

No offense to anyone who likes Barbados, but if I'm stuck with a 14 hour travel time, I'd rather go somewhere else.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Can you clarify your answer? I was under the impression your sister is getting married soon in Barbados. Are you saying that because it takes too long, she's still getting married there but you aren't going to the wedding? But you are willing to go elsewhere by yourself?
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

No, no, I'll absolutely be there--I'm just not sure how she and my parents will work out the details. Nothing's booked yet. It's just that it occurred to me unless more money is spent to go from T.O., we'll have 1-2 stops from Detroit instead, but for less money. I guess I was just fantasizing about landing in Paris or something after such a long travel day.

She's hoping to get married this May-my folks said they'll pay for our family--I just wanted some input from this site because I trust the Fodor's people and because my sister & I have never been to this area.