Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Almond Beach Village Alert (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/almond-beach-village-alert-118170/)

lisa Apr 15th, 2001 07:53 AM

Almond Beach Village Alert

Hey everyone. Just back from Almond Beach Village with the family and I want to forewarn anyone who may even consider going there to think elsewhere. I cannot even begin to tell you all the problems we had. And we were not alone - anywhere we went on the resort people were complaining. There was no level of hospitality whatsoever. Our rooms (when we finally got rooms) were pitifully rundown, full of ants, showers that did not work - and that is only the tip of the iceberg. I would be happy to talk to anyone who needs any information. my advice - on an island full of beautiful resorts - stay away from this one!!!!

Lois Apr 17th, 2001 07:22 AM

Which island was this on? I have some friends considering an Almond Beach resort. Please let me know by e-mail at [email protected] if possible. Thanks

Anna Apr 17th, 2001 08:06 AM

Hi Lisa: <BR> <BR>I was considering Almond Beach Club for my wedding (smaller resort) and take trips to the Village. Is the Village primarily for families?? Please let me know the details...how was the beach? <BR>

Maddy Apr 17th, 2001 12:11 PM

Lisa, can you please supply me with more details? We are leaving for Almond Beach Village on Saturday with two our 3 year old and 10 month old and my husbands parents. I've been hearing nothing but negative reviews. Has anyone else just returned from this resort??? What were your impressions/experiences?

lisa Apr 18th, 2001 01:40 PM

hi maddy - i feel badly that you are leaving sat. after reading what i wrote. we had a very bad experience and most of the guests felt the same way. upon arrival we were told they didn't have our reservation (i had a confirmation slip). then they said that our 2 rooms could not be adjoining (we have 3 yound children). on top of it the rooms were shabby looking, one room had ants and a broken shower. whenever we tried to call anyone they didn't answer the phone. on top of it all-inclusive meant having to make dinner reservations a week in advance because every restaurant was booked in the resort whenever we tried to make one. we finally gave up and ate out which was great because the hotel food was pretty awful. it was a busy week granted, but still that's no excuse for poor service.

lisa Apr 18th, 2001 01:48 PM

Hi Anna - I did not see the almond beach club but some of the guests who were defaulted there (because ABV messed up their reservations) said the rooms were pretty small and kinda rundown. it's also a good 10-15 min. ride from the ABV. the village is all families - stay away if you don't have kids. there's no reason to go there. and if you do have kids choose a different hotel - i was never so disappointed in my life!

gary Apr 18th, 2001 03:44 PM

Maddy, We've stayed at the Village the past four years and have had no complaints. There has been, from time to time, evidence of disgruntled guests with room problems but we haven't experienced such problems. Every year we meet people who just keep on coming back, particularly those with children. And as far as the negative reviews go, I've found there are quite a few positive ones as well. Good luck and enjoy yourselves!

Mary Apr 19th, 2001 01:03 PM

Just out of curiosity, on what island is this place located?

gary Apr 19th, 2001 04:57 PM

Barbados

Mary Apr 20th, 2001 05:48 AM

Lisa: Other than the resort, please tell us how you liked the island, i.e., the water / beaches, food, scenery, people, etc. Barbados intrigues me and is definitely on my future “to do” list. I’d love to hear your opinion. Thank you! <BR>

lisa Apr 20th, 2001 12:49 PM

Hi Mary: Barbados is absolutely lovely. Once we ventured outside of Almond Beach Village we found the natives to be pleasant, charming and very helpful. The restaurants are excellent - prices are a bit steep - but so what, you're on vacation. There are so many beautiful resorts south of ABV that I would highly recommend you checking out. Next time I'd like to return without the kids and stay at Sandy Lane - it's worth every penny!

Maddy Apr 20th, 2001 01:48 PM

Gary, thanks for your words of incouragement. I'll post a note upon my return.

julie Apr 22nd, 2001 05:55 AM

<BR>Hi Lisa, <BR>How did Sandy Lane look? It was just a massive construction mess this time last year. Is the hotel already up & running? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Julie

gary Apr 22nd, 2001 03:00 PM

Julie - We visited Sandy Lane this past Jan. and there were already guests of the owners enjoying the resort. The place looks like it will be one of the premier resorts in the caribbean when 100%. They told us it will be open for business March 2001.

rebecca Apr 26th, 2001 08:29 AM

Glitter Bay, Sandy Lane and Royal Pavilion are all excellent places to stay. Sandy Lane of course is the best, but it is also extremely expensive. For anyone considering Barbados who is turned off by the posting about the Almond Beach Village, I strongly suggest you still go to Barbados and just stay at a different hotel. The Bajan culture, beaches and restaurants are something you won't want to miss!!

Maddy Apr 29th, 2001 04:12 AM

Returned yesterday from 1 week at the Almond Beach Village. Sorry Lisa, I didn't have the experiance that you had. I loved it! The hotel was only at 70 percent capacity which probably made a huge difference. We have been going to caribbean all inclusives for the last nine years including three Sandals resorts and 1 Club Med and always try to travel on non peak weeks. We will definately return. I have just posted a review on the rants/raves. It should be there soon.

kristine Jun 1st, 2001 01:43 PM

We have been to the Almond Beach Village twice and had a brilliant holiday both times. The food was great, water sports brilliant. We found the resort very clean and tidy and our rooms were cleaned well every day. Loads for the children and would love to return.