Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

All-inclusives without the "cruise ship" atmosphere?

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 04:55 AM
nina

I'm still searching for a warm weather winter vacation for my family, which includes 2 boys who are 9 and 12. Since I know many of the all-inclusives have kids programs and lots of kids, I'm leaning in that direction. My only hesitation though is that after reading some trip reports where staff members pull people out of their lounge chairs to join in various antics, I'm a little aprehensive. While I like the idea of everything included, I hate the cruise ship atmosphere of loud music by the pool, adult games, etc. Are there low key AI's where you can be left alone to read in peace, or find a fairly isolated spot on the beach, or is there no escaping the noise and hordes? Can all of you helpful fodorites recommend some AI's that don't have a raucous atmosphere? Thank you again for your help!

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 05:47 AM
mary

There are quite a few throughout the Caribbean that fit the bill. You might want to first decide your destination.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 05:37 AM
nina

I really don't care which island, I've been to most of them. I just want a nice all-inclusive that doesn't feel like a college spring-breaker or convention goers paradise. I want it laid back for my husband and me, but with enough activites and other children for my kids to have a good time. <BR><BR>There is a place in Chatham on the Cape called the Chatham Bars Inn. It is casually elegant, not the least bit tacky but with an outstanding kids program. That is what I'm looking for, but in the caribbean. Can anyone help??

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:07 AM
ohliz

Take a look at Half Moon. It's not all-inclusive but does have kids programs and definitely NOT cruise-ship like, it's quite elgant, the roperty is very large, ther's tennis, golf, horseback riding and plenty of watersports, bicycle trails (the property is huge - 3 beaches, hundreds of acres). <BR><BR>It's not cheap but kids do stay free in your room or suite, there are also villas there.<BR><BR>http://www.halfmoon-resort.com/r<BR><BR>kid stuff: http://www.halfmoon-resort.com/resort/index.cfm?id=03,05,00,00<BR><BR Liz

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:08 AM
ohliz

Link correction:<BR><BR>http://www.halfmoon-resort.com/<BR><BR Liz

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:12 AM
nina

Thanks Liz, I'll look!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Penney

Half Moon is a good suggestion. You can also look into the Bucanneer in St. Criox - both are really beautiful properties.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Wendy

Nina,<BR><BR>Try the Almond Beach Village in Barbados! It is AI but they don't come around by the pool at all and the only music being played is at the pool bar! If the kids want activities there is a kids club!

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 04:19 AM
Kim

We (two families of 4 with 2 teens each) spent 7 lovely days at Occidental Flamenco, Punta Cana April 2001. I have to admit price was an influence but the resort was clean, the food was good, the beach beautiful and the three pools were great, one with activities the rest were very quiet. The animation staff were always present but never tried to involve you if you said no thanks. The downfall was the nightly entertainment. The staff did an excellent job but it was not to my liking. I am unsure what I would want so I can't fault them. We are going back to Punta Cana but trying to decide to go to the same resort knowing it won't be the same the second time around or to another - Barcelo Beach maybe. My husband and I were at the Lido Sans Souci the year before, the Flamenco does not compare in food and drink but the beach is better for walking and the people were just as friendly and professional on the resort.<BR>Happy Holidays, I can't wait to get out of the snow and cold. <BR><BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 11:30 AM
nina

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I checked into some of these and it seems that you have to pay through the nose if you want a low-key atmosphere. For instance Half-moon looks wonderful but a week there for our family will run about $9000! A bit more than I wanted to spend for sure. On the contrary, the Occidental for all 4 would run us $ 2660 all inclusive. I'm sure that Half-moon is nicer but I'm not sure it's worth more than 3 times the price. I'm going to keep my eyes open and look a bit more.