Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   All Inclusives Punta Cana (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/all-inclusives-punta-cana-530780/)

moosh4 May 21st, 2005 07:10 PM

All Inclusives Punta Cana

We are trying to pick an all inclusive to take our four boys 3, 6, 9, 12 to. The reviews are scaring us. Paradisius or M. Caribe? They seem to offer the same type of services but there's a $2,000 price difference. Also, a lot of people seem to get sick (from food or viruses) The $2,000 wouldn't even be an issue if I was sure my kids weren't going to get sick!

schmerl May 22nd, 2005 06:17 AM

Don't know anything about the M. Caribe, but many of my friends and family have been to Paradisus and LOVED it ( I prefer the adults only resorts-not an option for you!). You can get sick anywhere. Just DON'T drink the water. There is bottled water provided all over the resorts in Punta Cana. As you would anywhere, beware of certain foods that may have been sitting out at a buffet all day long. We usually avoid the buffets for anything but breakfast. Never had a problem getting sick.

Lisa1271 May 22nd, 2005 01:26 PM

We just returned from our 2nd visit to Paradisus Punta Cana and loved it. I have only gotten sick once in my travels and that was in Costa Rica. Forgot about using bottled water for brushing my teeth. Both times in Punta Cana we (4 of us) have been very careful about the water and have no problems, except for the 5 lbs gained from the great food!! I can't say anything about the Melia (never been) except to say that the reviews do rate Paradisus much higher.
Take care, Lisa S

diann May 22nd, 2005 04:50 PM

Lisa, Why do you say "forget about using bottled water for brushing your teeth."We were told to use bottled water even from the locals. It has been awhile since myself and DH were to Punta Cana but from previous reviews I would choose Paradisus as the first choice between the 2 resorts.

Lisa1271 May 23rd, 2005 04:38 AM

I said that I FORGOT (as in did not use) the bottled water and thats why I was sick in Costa Rica. Definitely use bottled water for everything. I even use it in our coffeemaker at the resort.
Lisa S

sara1274 May 23rd, 2005 04:50 AM

Also some stomach distress may be caused by eating too much tropical fruit or eating things that are not peeled.

paulalou May 23rd, 2005 08:39 AM

Another popular cause is too much alcohol and sun, especially if your body is not accustomed to round the clock alcohol consumption!! However, I wouldn't think that is a concern for your kids! We've travelled all over the Carribean with our kids - and lots of bottled water -with no stomach ailments.

francot May 24th, 2005 09:24 AM

I have been to the Paradisus and have been trying to find a friend to go back with me (we were booked to go last Oct then they were hit with the hurricane - went to Aruba instead). It was the most relaxing vacation I have ever taken. The beach and pool are great. The landscaping is very lush. I havent been to the caribe so I cant comment on that. But I am sure you would love the Paradisus.

cdt May 24th, 2005 09:42 AM

I have a big problem with the theory that stomach problems in the DR, Mexico, etc., are related to too much booze, fruit, sun, etc. -

How come people can engage in this same behavior in the Virgin Islands, Aruba, Barbados, Hawaii, etc., and it almost never makes them sick?

Let's be honest and concede that the DR is one of many third world countries where there's a decent chance you're going to come into contact with micro-organisms that your GI tract doesn't care for.

j_elzie May 24th, 2005 11:27 AM

Hi,

Check out the Sunscape Resorts or the Secrets Resorts in Punta Cana. The Sunscape Resorts are similar to Beaches resorts and the Secrets resorts are similar to Sandals. They are doing a wonderful job and getting lots of great reviews.

I recently did a trip for clients for 7 nights at a Sunscape resort for $1000 per person, including airfare and the all-inclusive accommodations. Prices vary from $1000-$1300 per adult.

Best Regards,
Julia

diann May 24th, 2005 04:14 PM

I completely agree with cdt. It is not at all just about the sun and alcohol. I love Mexico and the only place I ever have a problem is Mexico. I have been to all other islands and never have any issues. My husband was very ill in Punta Cana. We were told not to eat the sea food. I didn't and he did. I don't know if that had anything to do with him becoming ill.

schmerl May 24th, 2005 04:49 PM

I ate plenty of seafood in Punta Cana and was never ill. I would not eat seafood that sat out on a buffet anywhere! I prefer the ala carte restaurants. It is a fact that the water in DR and Mexico upsets our digestive tracks so just use bottled water.
By the way, someone suggested the Secrets resort. Secrets is WONDERFUL, but is adults only, so not a choice for the original poster.

pwpark May 25th, 2005 11:36 AM

I went to the M Caribe a few years ago with 2 kids (8 and 9 at the time). They loved it and made some great friends there. The beach is clean and sand is soft. We went off season so didn't have much wait at the restaurants either. I dont think anyone got sick.