Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Ferry STT to Tortola, spend day, then on to Virgin Gorda?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

After MUCH contemplation, we have decided to stay on Virgin Gorda, rather than Tortola, after our stay on St. Thomas this June (so glad that decision has finally been made!).

I have spent so much time researching Tortola, that I think we'd still like to visit Tortola for the day. Since we can go from St. Thomas through Tortola on our way to Virgin Gorda anyway (via ferry), does it make sense to visit Tortola that same day? Or would it make better sense to come back another day? We will have our luggage with us (carry-ons + scuba gear, etc.), but we could throw everything in a rental car for the day while we're on Tortola.

We always try to be "efficient" when vacationing (e.g., no back-tracking)... but don't want to pack in too much on any one given day either.

There will be 4 of us on the trip... 2 adults, and 2 kids (16 and 12).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Carole

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM
GoTravel

I just spent almost a week on Tortola in July and it seemed we spent every day but one getting off Tortola to the other islands.

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

GoTravel - which island(s) did you like best?
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have a recommendation as to whether this is doable, or better yet, adviseable?

I sometimes tend to pack in too many activities in a given day, when planning our family vacations. So please let me know if I'd be doing this here.

I just thought it might be nice to see Tortola on the way over to Virgin Gorda.

This also influences what day we go to Virgin Gorda (going on a day when there is a direct ferry route from STT to VG vs. a day when we'd need to go through Tortola anyway) and whether we are there 4 or 5 nights (I'm pretty much ready to book our hotel stay, but am waiting to figure out this last detail).

Thanks so much for your help!

Carole
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 07:47 AM

I wouldn't think that Tortola offers anything substantially different from VG that you should spend a day there. I wouldn't recommend leaving all of your stuff in a rental car all day long--petty theft is on the rise all over the Caribbean, and though I've not heard any reports specific to Tortola, I still wouldn't want to risk all my luggage and diving gear being stolen.

Tortola is a great little island, but probably the only thing it offers over VG in terms of things you might want to do would be the larger variety of restaurants and beach bars, or possibly horseback riding.

Nope--I'd say that if you've finally made the decision to stay on VG to just go ahead and do that and make the most of it. Congrats on making the decision. It can be so agonizing, can't it, when you're planning the entire trip for the family?!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ej - I thought we'd at least like to see Cane Garden Bay, since we're not staying there now... and have a nice meal before heading over to VG. But maybe we should skip it this time.

And now I'm wondering if the kids would rather have a villa with a pool than staying at Mango Bay... but I can't find any villas around Mahoe Bay that have a/c, a pool, and are similar in price to Mango Bay. I did look at one in Leverick Bay (Europhia) that was close to the same price.

It seems I keep searching and searching for the ultimate, rather than just settling down with a final decision!

Carole
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
GoTravel

Cane Garden Bay is nice but I wouldn't make a special stop for it.

I think Virgin Gorda was my favorite island.

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GoTravel - all you folks are making my planning easier and easier.

Carole
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 01:00 PM

I don't know what your price range is, but have you looked at the villas at Nail Bay? Many of them have their own small pools, but there's a larger pool for the entire villa resort. www.nailbay.com It's one of the places we're considering for next year, though we prefer the location of the villas managed by Guavaberry on Spring Bay. Nail Bay is situated on twwo gorgeous beaches but there are a few online complaints about the road leading to the villas as well as the construction noises during the day.

The Guavaberry folks manage quite a few villas with swimming pools and the one that has held our interest is called Virgin Gorda Oriental with a nice pool.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi ej - Funny... Earlier today I was looking at one of the villas listed on the Nail Bay link you provided, and sent an email inquiry on it - Island Spice Villa (islandspicevilla.com).

I also looked at the Virgin Oriental Villa, but have not yet inquired about this one. It looks very nice, but is more money than Island Spice Villa. I thought the units managed by Guavaberry didn't have A/C, but this villa does (at least in the bedrooms).

I know we'd really like to be down, by the water (Mango Bay) but the idea of a swimming pool and our own place is quite appealing as well!

I also keep reading that Nail Bay is not as nice as Mahoe Bay... but if we choose to stay somewhere away that is not directly on the beach, then I guess we can drive to any beach we want to anyway.

Hmmm....

Carole