Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   All inclusive vacation during July or August - Is it too hot? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/all-inclusive-vacation-during-july-or-august-is-it-too-hot-843368/)

whiteowlmtlca Jun 4th, 2010 12:45 PM

All inclusive vacation during July or August - Is it too hot?

I would like to take a week vacation all-inclusive with my son (28 years old). I've been to Cuba about 10 years ago during the month of May, I enjoyed it. I would like to try Dominican Republic or Mexico (East or West Coast) one week in July or August. Could also be any other islands as long as it's 'all-inclusive'

Is it too hot at that time, how about mosquitos? I want at least a 4* resort near a beach with good food and good drinks. I also worry about hurricanes and don't want to be swimming in BP oil.

Any suggestions?

RoamsAround Jun 4th, 2010 01:44 PM

Average July/August daytime temperatures throughout the Caribbean generally range from the high 80's to low 90's F. Humidity is often on the high side and that combined with a "strong sun" may make it feel warmer. Only you can determine if those temperature ranges are "too hot". FYI - You can check average weather statistics for any given island destination at: www.weatherbase.com or www.wunderground.com.

The Caribbean hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30 with September and October being considered "peak season". The odds of any one strom stiking a particular island are small and there's no way to predict NOW if and when a hurricane may form and/or threaten a specific island. Typically you only get 5 to 7 days advaced notice. You can research the frequency of hurricanes striking any given island in any given month over the past 150 years by going to the "Climatrology" section at: www.stormcarib.com. Review the data there to determine if you are comfortable with the odds.

You'll find lots of AI's in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Cozemel so concentrate your search to those destinations.

I'm no oceanographer but according to current computer models BP oil will not come anywhere close to the islands of the caribbean.

RoamsAround Jun 4th, 2010 02:01 PM

Forgot to address your question about mosquitos.

Mosquitos and "no-see-ums" and more oa function of recent weather conditions and habitat rather than time of years. They are are more prevallent after periods of recent prolonged rains and around salt ponds, standing water, in areas of dense vegetation. They are more active at dusk and early dawn, especially along the beach where the vegetation meets the sand. You can lessen your exposure by avoiding those areas. Also, avoid the use of perfumes, colognes, after-shaves, scented powders, scented hair spays and other similar products as the "sweet aromas" act as an attractant. If you find youself in an area where mosquitos are prevallent consider using a good insect repellant.

whiteowlmtlca Jun 4th, 2010 03:05 PM

Thanks a lot for the info.

ejcrowe Jun 4th, 2010 07:08 PM

July & August will be warmer and a bit more humid than other months, but (for me, at least) I've never been uncomfortable on vacation in the Caribbean during those months because there has always been a nice breeze coming off the water, and if you have a/c in your bedroom at night, you should be perfectly comfortable unless you have a real aversion to heat. In which case anyplace tropical probably wouldn't be the best choice for you. :)

chowder99 Jun 6th, 2010 05:24 AM

Lititing yourself to an all inclusive cuts out a lot of great choices; at least widen your search to include resorts with meal plans. Often breakfast and dinner at quite enough and less than you might think. Alcohol is what runs up a tab in the Carribean, although local beer and rum are cheaper. Try Barbados - there are all inclusives, plenty of young people from Europe and Canada as well as the US.

KVR Jun 6th, 2010 07:27 AM

Look at Aruba. It will be not as hot as Mexico or the DR where most of the AI resorts are located. We've been to Mexico and Aruba both in a September and it was much hotter and humid in Mexico. Aruba has a constant trade wind which helps with the heat.

There are a few AI hotels in Aruba; RUI, Occidental, Divi, Amsterdam Manor, Westin, Marroitt and the Tam. Aruba has a good selection of resturants that are quite easy to get to, so AI might not be the best way to go unless you are a huge drinker and just want the AI for alcohol. The Radisson has packages on their web-site that includes food and beverage credits.