Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   All inclusive necessary in Aruba? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/all-inclusive-necessary-in-aruba-569080/)

mzambo Nov 6th, 2005 05:38 AM

All inclusive necessary in Aruba?

While I love the idea of an all inclusive, I realize in some places they are more necessary than others for lack of places to eat within walking distance if you want more of a variety than your hotel provides.

My daughter is getting married next Oct and we are considering the Mariott, is it within walking distance to other moderately priced restaurants and even fast food places? She is quite the picky eater which is another reason not sure about an all inclusive.

How is the pool and beach at the Mariott? Both are very important to them.

girlonthego Nov 6th, 2005 06:29 AM

Hi I have been to the marriott in aruba and it is wonderful!! The island of Aruba is one of the islands that all inclusive would be a big mistake. There are many wonderful dining options. The Marriott is sort of at the end of the Palm beach area. You can walk to some restaurants, but cabs are easy to get and not very expensive.
The Marriott has the hotel(where we stayed) and two timeshares next to it. There are three pools with swim up bars and hot tubs. The last time share was not quite built when we were there in 2004. It is finished now. The beaches have the white sand and turquoise waters. The beach area in front of the time share next door was wider so that is where we sat. You can move freely between the three places. The rooms at the hotel were roomy and very nice. The hotel itself is a very nice Marriott. We had a great time vacationing there.
There is a forum for Aruba lovers and you can get tons of information for her trip there. I found out about snorkel companies, cell phone rentals, car rentals, restuarants,etc... I was the planner for two families traveling. Everything we did was information from the Aruba forum and we were all pleased.
aruba-bb.com is the web address. Have a good trip.

KVR Nov 6th, 2005 06:53 AM

We are in the process of researching a trip to Aruba for the first week of Sept. 2006. We always go AI when it is available, but for Aruba we decided not to. We are looking at the Holiday Inn, which is in our price range. It appears to be real close to restaurants, bars and activities.

I've been searching for a local map of the area to get a general idea of relations between hotels and resturants. I found E-brochures on aruba.com and got some good info from my public library. They had brochures and maps mailed to them from the Aruba Tourism Authority.

Message boards such as aruba-experience.com, arubabound.com, visitaruba.com and aruba-bb.com have also been helpful in our research.

jacketwatch Nov 6th, 2005 10:00 AM

The HI is pretty close to the restaurants, clubs, etc. In fact the island is small and a ride to town from the HI is only around 15 min. as I recall. There are many good restaurants there so going AI is missing out on all the good dining choices. Enjoy!

Lotus2221 Nov 6th, 2005 10:26 AM

The dining in Aruba is excellent; AI is not necessary--it may preclude the ability to try the good restaurants on the island. If you were going to Nassau, Bahamas, I would highly recommend the AI, but in Aruba it's not necessary (just go to the concierge when you arrive and make reservations at the recommended restaurants).

sabine1215 Nov 6th, 2005 06:34 PM

I. too had always been a fan of AI's; in Aruba you definitely DON'T want to do AI- the restaurants are amazing, generally reasonably priced, and convenient to get to (with pretty cheap taxis).