Search

Spirit airlines????

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spirit airlines????

Has anyone flown Spirit airlines. They have the best fare from NYC to st Martin (connecting through fll). Decent airline?
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:05 AM

It's a horrible airline where you get what you pay for. But if you are trying to save money, it will get you there and get you there cheaply, and in truth most U.S. based airlines (except for JetBlue and Southwest) are equally horrible except for the most frequent fliers. Just watch out for all the myriad extra charges, which are numerous (you pay for both checked and carry-on bags on this airline), and hope that everything goes smoothly. When there are no problems, then Spirit is fine and no worse than most U.S.-based airlines; when things don't go well, they have abysmal customer service. And don't expect any favors from them. They are completely inflexible on all their rules, so make sure you understand all the ins and outs of the fare you purchase.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Decent but typical budget airline. Many people fly Spirit because they save on airfares but you'll pay extra for checked baggage, snacks, etc. Customer service is not always good. You can read reviews here and make up your own mind.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/spirit.htm
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:11 AM

I've flown them twice. Be aware. The base fare may be cheap, but ad mentioned they charge you for everything...including putting a bag in the overhead...and I heard that went up significantly - $45.00 - $70.00...now international flights might be different, I am not sure. So when you add it all up, they may be the same or similar price to other legacy carriers. Once on the plane, the only thing you get for free is a cup of ice. I agree with abysmal customer service....in New York last December, I got sick of how we were being treated during a mechanical (I fly about 60K miles a year - so I am used to all kinds of the delays)....anyways, I ended up calling Delta and flying home on them becaue I could not take their appalling behavior anymore. They were more interested in scamming customers with their credit card promotion...get 3 free airline tickets just for signing up. yea right...when it came to provide meaningful information to customers who just wanted to get home, you could forget about it...I will never fly them again.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Based on what I have read on here, I am not even considering Spirit. The fees are ridiculous! Thanks for the input!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 02:39 AM

Jetblue is the best.

AA is just as bad or worse than Spirit, I've had many problems with them too.

Airtran has some flights to Caribbean, suprisenly decent.

But if going this time of year, you might want to fly from further north, anything thru Miami or Ft. lauderdale can be prone to storms.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 06:23 AM
bwg

thanks for the info. I too had never flown Spirit- good to know about the hidden fees