Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   All inclusive for trip in June (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/all-inclusive-for-trip-in-june-306484/)

gillybrit Feb 17th, 2008 05:38 PM

All inclusive for trip in June

Well, I was pretty much convinced that an AI on the Riviera Maya was the way to go, based mostly on our budget. Then I found out just hot hot and humid it would be in June and started to have second thoughts. We are a family of 4 (kids ages 14 and 9) and are now open to other suggestions. Our budget is around $4000 including flight for 6-7 nights. We can find that in Riviera Maya, but not sure we'll find it anywhere else. We can fly out of Phila or Newark. I would love to hear some suggestions. I know many Fodorites are not fans of all inclusives, but that is a something we've already decided upon.
Thanks in advance
Gillian

Packed2Go Feb 17th, 2008 07:41 PM

Have you considered the Dominican Republic? They have many wonderful all inclusive resorts that should be in your price range at that time of year. Have a look on AppleVacations.com to get some ideas. I have friends who just returned from an Iberostar property in Punta Cana and had glowing reports about the resort, food and beaches.

KVR Feb 18th, 2008 05:33 AM

The least expensive AI destinations are going to be Mexico, Dominican Republic and Jamaica.

We've been to Mexico several times and never found it too hot or humid to enjoy a tropical beach vacation. However, we thought August or September was the hottest times to go.

You could also look at the Holiday Inn on Aruba. You might get lucky and squeek by with your budget amount, but don't expect a resort like you'll find in Mexico or the DR.

gillybrit Feb 18th, 2008 07:08 AM

Thanks all. Will consider the DR and take a look at Jamaica. My guidebook said temps in June can be 90 deg. w/90% humidity. I can handle the heat, but the humidity is too much. Although we are looking for a relaxing beach vacation we also want to do some sightseeing.
Packed2Go do you know the name of the Iberostar property?
Thanks again

doug_stallings Feb 18th, 2008 07:31 AM

The weather is going to be about the same regardless of where you go in the Caribbean. But in truth, June in the Riviera Maya or most of the Caribbean isn't all that different from January weatherwise. The temps really don't start getting horrible until after that. So I guess what I'm saying is that you won't find much more favorable weather in other islands. Aruba does tend to get more constant wind, and that can help with the high temps. But it's also an arid, overcommercialized island.

There are three Iberostars in Punta Cana: Iberostar Punta Cana, Iberostar Dominicana, and Iberostar Bavaro. The Bavaro is the more upscale of the three; the other two are identical. If you really want to cram 4 people in one room, then the Bavaro is a better choice because the rooms are slightly larger, albeit more expensive.

There is also a brand-new Iberostar resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

But I'm not at all sure you can get a weeklong vacation at an Iberostar resort for $1,000 per person; you might have to go for something more downscale. Apple Vacations is a good source, and if you look around you might find something. The Riu resorts tend to be the cheapest options, but I don't recommend them with any enthusiasm. CheapCaribbean.com might also be a decent source for packages.

lisa64 Feb 18th, 2008 08:44 AM

We are looking for a AI in punta cana and I am curious about two of the responses here. Which Iberostar resort did friends stay at that they enjoyed .....and the second one is why would the riu resorts not be recommended that highly. They looked nice and I have read some good reviews, but I would be interested to know first hand experience of why not! Thanks.

doug_stallings Feb 18th, 2008 09:44 AM

I've stayed at Iberostar Punta Cana, and I liked it.

There are several reasons I don't particularly like the Riu resorts. They are huge and high-rise, for one. I really don't like that style resort. The food is just barely average; as AIs go, I favor Iberostar for having slightly better food. And in some, the layouts are really bad. In Negril, for instance, you can take literally 15 minutes to talk to the resort facilities from rooms at the farthest building out. That's not the case for all the resorts, though. And they tend to have pretty good sports facilities. If you go the Riu way, choose a Palace resort for the best facilities.

schmerl Feb 18th, 2008 10:54 AM

I have been to both Ppunta Cana and the Riviera Maya. There is MUCH more to see and do in Mexico. The service is also better there.
Stick with Mexico. Any beach destination will be hot and humid in the summer.

gillybrit Feb 18th, 2008 03:31 PM

Thanks to all for your input. I guess the humidity thing was really putting me off Riviera Maya. I will take a look at the Iberostar resorts in the DR too. Possibly also Jamaica although have been there twice and would like to try something new. I'm still a little confused on the weather though. Is it really 90% humidity in June, and if so, is it really that humid throughout the Carribean. Googled weather in June but most info I found just talks about temps not humidity.
HELP!

KVR Feb 18th, 2008 04:29 PM

lisa64, I also don't highly reccommend the RIU resorts after we stayed at the RIU Tropical Bay in Negril, Jamaica.

The RIU's are a very inexpensive AI hotel. You get what you pay for. They attract adults looking for a Spring Break atmosphere wanting to get their drink on and tons of families. Major complaints consist of unruly singles that get too drunk and act up, too many screaming obnoxious children, too crowded to get loungers and shade at pool/beach, large groups of loud people, especially wedding parties that dominate staff, the long lines to wait in to make ala cart dining reservations, no AC in the rooms. Just a blower and/or fan. They only hotel I've ever seen in which irons/board are an extra charge. The worst food of any AI I have ever stayed at and I've been to plenty.

After our experience, I would never consider another RIU property unless they make some major changes. I would definatly pay a little more and get a calmer resort with better amentities and food.

doug_stallings Feb 18th, 2008 04:34 PM

The humidity is pretty much the same across the Caribbean, mitigated only when there are tradewinds. You'll find it just as hot in the DR as in Mexico.

lisa64 Feb 18th, 2008 05:50 PM

KVR, thanks for the advice. I think that you and doug are on the same page with the RIU resorts. I have heard now from others also that these resorts are not quite what we are looking for a family.
Always interested in other suggestions for places in that we are still looking. Travel agent recommended the new Sunscape/Dreams resort and also the Grand Palladium in that it had family type suites available

jiffer111 Feb 18th, 2008 06:04 PM

I have stayed at the Palladium resort in Mexico several times would highly recommend it for families. They have a wonderful kids club where they paint pottery, play games and go on nature walks around the resort.

I also like the idea that the restaurants have a/c. The service has always been great and the food was always good.

I have been to Mexico almost every month in the year and I will say most of the heat and humidity will kick in around July. June was a very pleasent month for us and the heat was not bad at all.