Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   All-inclusive at Renaissance Jamaica Grande - any thoughts? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/all-inclusive-at-renaissance-jamaica-grande-any-thoughts-332022/)

Meeko72 Jun 28th, 2003 06:18 PM

All-inclusive at Renaissance Jamaica Grande - any thoughts?

Hi everyone... Can you guys share some personal experiences with this package? I tend to lean towards great snorkeling, dining, relaxation, water sports... etc. Looks like it got some great ratings at this site... Thanks ahead of time for your input. BTW, I've alreadyh booked it for the week of 8/2 so please don't disappoint. ;) Thanks.

kfusto Jun 29th, 2003 04:22 AM

I stayed there for a week. The grounds are very nice, the pool is great and the club onsite - Jamaican Me Crazy - is very popular and a lot of fun.

That being said I did not like the Holiday Inn like feeling of the resort. I prefer 1-2 story buildings when I stay in the islands. The rooms were very basic, the food and service poor to average and the staff generally lax.

I personally would never return. There are so many places that are mcuh nicer to stay.

Meeko72 Jun 29th, 2003 05:54 AM

:( Thanks for your input... on the bright side, maybe my expectations won't be that high, so I won't be disappointed. Anyway, I got what I think is a great deal on it so we'll see. BTW, what resort would you recommend for an all-inclusive - hopefully not that much more expensive.

tivertonhouse Jun 29th, 2003 08:10 AM

Meeko: You'll be in Ochee, a tourist town, with probably the best bet the
Jamaica Inn. That said, it's probably double the price of your deal at RG. Which means you can enjoy more outside the hotel than in. Dinner at Evita's,Passage to India, Glistening Waters/Falmouth, or Toscanini's at Harmony Hall just outside town. Head towards Port Maria and Porty for the best exploring with private coffee bean plantation tours, a day out at Long Bay/Boston Bay in Port, plus Blue Lagoon and Reitch Falls, even the admittedly touristy Rio Grande bamboo rafting trip can be a blast.

kfusto Jun 29th, 2003 01:03 PM

It depends what you are looking for in an AI. If I in the mood for luxury on Jamaica, I like Grand Lido Negril or Half Moon in MoBay ($$$$$)which offers an AI plan. I also love Swept Away. No frenetic activity directors, just a perfect paradise with everything you could want at your fingertips and a low key atmosphere while still upscale.

I never like to stay anywhere where there are kids allowed, so if I am looking for a mid price all inclusive that is active and casual, I like Breezes Runaway Bay. And I have always enjoyed Sandals Dunns River, Sandals Antigua and Sandals Royal St Lucian.

jacketwatch Jul 2nd, 2003 10:06 AM

Been there twice and loved it! You have the advantage of a resort which had once been two separate hotels which combined so you have large choice of restaurants, bars, pools, lounges, etc. And the town is right outside the hotel so you can just walk to shop, get souvenirs, etc. There is daily snorkling from the dock as well. I think you will like it. It is a 2 hr. ride from the airport and they usually stop about 1/2 way for some sizzling jerk pork/chicken. Enjoy!

tivertonhouse Jul 4th, 2003 02:44 AM

Meeko -- Great article in July 2003/this month's GOURMET magazine on the Old Tavern Coffee Estate/Alex and Dorothy Twyman's you should put on your exploration list. There's also a quickie sidebar on '10 Great Things About Jamaica' in the issue -- with a pix and funny spot-on review of Jake's, among others.