Woul appreciate advice for 1 week in 2010

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM
SnR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woul appreciate advice for 1 week in 2010

This is the current plan--FF miles to Buenos Aires and then a layover on the way back in either Atlanta, D/FW, or Miami and going to somewhere to snorkel. Probably in October-November 2010. We are avid snorkelers and have been to GBR a number of times including a dive liveaboard; Cozamel, Akumal, Grand Cayman and the Florida keys. Now we're looking for a place in the Caribbean and I have been reading up on this forum and gotten lots of good ideas. So far, St. John, Bonaire, and Belize are contenders. Turks % Caicos???
Here is our wishlist:
1. outstanding shore snorkeling; some boat trips also available
2. ocean view place with A/C that doesn't break the bank (>$500/night) that is clean and comfy
3. not too many bugs (mozzies or sandfleas)
4. good food (doesn't have to be glitzy or pretentious, just tasty)
5. nice people
Any advice? Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM

Most people will tell you that Bonaire has the best "off beach" snorkeling in the Caribbean. You should have no difficulty finding accomodations in your price range. The island has everything you are seeking.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM
SnR
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice, RoamsAround. Bonaire has been a contender for a while, but it is difficult to get to from Seattle. I wish we could arrange the FF miles itinerary to include Bonaire, but so far my research has us coming back to the US anyway (since we'll be using US airlines) and the program with Alaska anyway requires a round trip ticket with one layover. Bonaire is the most expensive to get to for our layover flight (at least so far, going out of Atlanta to avoid an overnight flight) Will keep looking. Also looking at Blackbird Caye in Belize?
Sally in Seattle
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM

Hello Sally! I'm in Seattle too! Nice weather we're having, huh? I've read Turks and Caicos is a great snorkeling/beach place. Very beautiful. I've been to Ambergris Caye Belize and stayed at Xanadu (2/2 condo oceanfront $300, restaurants within beach walking distance, rent golf cart to San Pedro). Blackbird Caye looks nice on Tripadvisor. Belize is a must-do visit (along with Turks of course).
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM

SnR,

I have been to St. John, Ambergris Caye in Belize, Turks, BVI and the others you've mentioned.

St. John had good off beach snorkeling at the national park (sorry, name slips my mind), but popular. BVI we didn't snorkel off the beach we took a sailing trip and snorkeled there and it was pretty good. Tortola is one of my favorite islands, quiet and beautiful. we stayed at an amazing villa I can give you the info. about if interested, it wasn't on your list.

Ambergris is very cool, however, it is right on the reef and snorkeling is not good off the beach here, you have to take boat trips to snorkel and pretty amamzing, I really enjoyed it right at the reefs entry at their national park as well (again, sorry can't remember names!).
I haven't been to the Caye you mentioned there.

Just returned from Turks & Caicos, did not snorkel, but was told it was good. Great visibility off the beach though, I can report that. Pricey island, but the price range you mentioned, no problem finding something nice.

Good luck!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM

The problem with the T&C's is 98% of the resorts are on Providenciales' Grace Bay and there are only two areas along that 11 miles stretch of beach where there is "walk in" snorkeling. The reefs at those spots are in good health and you'll find lots of colorful fish but, and it's a big but, the reefs are small. You can snorkel each one fully in about 45 minutes. There are a couple of other beaches on the island which have good "walk in" snorkeling (Malcolm's Beach and the beach near the very exclusive and very pricey Amanyara Resort come to mind) but I've never snorkled them myself. You'll need to take an organized boat tour to reach any of the other snorkeling spots that are too far off shore or that are around neighboring cays. There may be some good "walk in" snorkeling off the beaches on some of the other islands in the chain but they are sometimes difficult to reach and are very sparsely populated.

Cookbound is probably referring to Trunk Bay on St. John. It's the quintessential Caribbean Beach and is frequently seen in commercials and publicity photos for the USVI's. It does get crowded. There are, however, plenty of other beaches on St. John with good "walk-in" snorkeling. For accomodations in your price range check out Gallows Point Resort on St. John.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM
SnR
Original Poster

Thanks, Sharie, cookbound and roamsaround, good food for thought. I especially appreciated your views on T&C, with the small reef areas. The good thing about my search is that I get to look at pictures of awesome areas! I will look at Tortola and more of Belize. Thanks so much!
Sally in sunny, warm Seattle (great, huh, Sharie!!)
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:11 AM

Bonaire has over 50 sites to snokel. The entire waterway is a marine park. Lovely condos on the sea with house reefs for snorkeling are 150 a night and up. Dining is diverse and affordable.

Follow your www.bonairebliss.com
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
SnR
Original Poster

Bonaire really looks enticing! Thanks for the info and link, caribchakita. The problem is the cost to get there, but we probably wouldn't get to go otherwise. We could fly via Atlanta on Delta with our FF miles to go to Argentina, but then Bonaire is $700+ each according to my search. St. John is half that. But then again the cost of the week's vacation is lower. Is there ever any time that the fare is lower? We would go in October/Nov. time frame. I just searched on www.kayak.com Are there any condos that you recommend?
Sally in Seattle, experiencing unusually HOT (for us) Fourth weekend--usually cold and rainy but beautiful and sunny!!