Airfare to Marsh Harbor, Abaco in Feb...

Old Dec 20th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Airfare to Marsh Harbor, Abaco in Feb...

Planning to go to our timeshare on Abaco in February but the fares (we are coming from the West) are astronomical. Are there any cities besides Miami that have nonstop flights into Abaco?
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Most Abaco travelers to the Abacos arrive via Ft. Lauderdale since the majority of flights to Marsh originate there. Now the big question...which carrier. An endless debate on the Abaco Board.

http://coconuttelegraph.net/cgi-bin/...ds/abacos.cgi?

Enjoy the Abacos, part the beautiful Bahama Out Islands.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Actually I thought most flights were out of MIA - on the major carriers anyway. We have always gone on AA via MIA. Don't want to fly Air Sunshine out of FLL after seeing segment on tv news show about their crash and safety record.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 11:18 AM

What ever airline you decide, make sure it isn't Air Sunshine. They're safety record is frightening, and they must clean up their act. Robert
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 08:16 AM

I believe USAirways has flights to MHH out of FLL (used to have them out of West Palm Beach (PBI) and Orlando (MCO) as well, but those might have been cut back). Aside from Air Sunshine, there are a number of small carriers out of the Florida east coast -- Air Florida and Lynx Air come to mind.

As much as I hate MIA, however, I usually end up going American to MHH because of the miles I have stockpiled...
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone flown Lynx Air or Air Florida? Do you know what their safety records are?
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 04:31 PM

Air Florida got into hot water with the FAA, and their certificate was revoked on November 1st. and they were brought into court for a hearing in Ft. Lauderdale December 2nd. Apparently, they had overbooked flights earlier this year. Of course, all airlines overbook, but it's more difficult to find another empty seat on small, charter ones. The FAA revoked their permit due to other violations, though, including": Falsifying weight and balance forms; lack of adequate flotation devices required for the over-water flights; and use of unqualified pilots. Then, Air Sunshine was bought out by another owner, and under new management, was back in operation. You may want to call the FAA office in Atlanta, because all this is public knowledge, and someone will tell you the violations and safety records of airlines. Air Sunshine appealed to the NTSB. Apparently, they loaded a 9-passenger plane up with 10 people, and a hearing was scheduled. A pilot lost his certification, but he/she is appealing as well. Now, a company that bought up Air Florida is out of Texas, and is fully certified. There are some of the same employess, same equipment, some new faces in the operation, and some new planes, AND, their FFA certification comes from a FFA branch in Texas, not one in Florida. The government granted certification due to no violations with this new company, which isn't Air Florida...anymore...I think. Oh, boy! OK, let's see, where am I...Oh yeah. Now, for Lynx. I would call the FAA with the same question you posted on this board. The FAA checks airlines chartered and private, that fly in and out of the Bahamas, either Bahamian owned or whatever. The FAA also does spot checks for drugs on these small, propeller planes, the licensure and certification of the pilots, at least twice/yearly. The FAA also rides with them occassionally, requires annual physicals of the pilots, etc. The FAA also requires these planes to be brought into the U.S. for 100 hours of annual maintenance. The FAA traverses to the airports in the Bahamas to make sure they don't discount their fares by cutting back on maintenance, or using unqualified pilots to save money.To make a long story short, I wouldn't fly with Air Florida. I don't recall any problems with Lynx, but call the FAA and find out all about them. I spent time discussing what the U.S. of A. does to keep these small prop businesses in line; they have accumulated mounds of info on them to share with you. Robert
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 04:33 PM

Sorry, I used "Air Sunshine" a couple times above when I meant "Air Florida." Don't even consider flying Air Sunshine. Robert
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:14 AM

Oops, looks like your question re: Lynx is moot. It looks like they've dropped the Marsh Harbour route. (I'd flown them to Grand Turk from FLL, and it was fine, with the added bonus of a stop in Georgetown, Exuma).
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 07:14 AM

Try Bimini Air. They fly out of Ft. Lauderdale. Also, heard good things about Yellow Air Taxi but there is some question about their certificate also but needs further investigation to clear conflicting information.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

The fares have gone down - was hoping they would after the holidays - and was able to book Continental flights from PHX to MHH for $488 RT.