Airfare to Kingston sale

Mar 7th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Airfare to Kingston sale

USAir has a sale form select cities - including BWI - to Kingston for $275. Travel through April only but this is great fare. The rest of the summer is at about $380 - still not a bad price.
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the tip. I just plugged in random dates later this month from PIT and got $605 RT with a Saturday stay.

I didn't even check to see if USAir flys into MBJ. Unfortunately Kingston isn't much of a tourist destination, but mainly a business destination. I have flown there often on business and have never gotten a good rate!
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Kingston may not be a big tourist destination but it's the airport to use for Portland (which is, IMO, the most beautiful part of JA), closer than MBJ by about half in travel time.

Sam if you go to USAir.com or travelocity.com and use the best fare option (no dates) you'll get a calendar showing you what dates that fare is available so you don't have to try a bunch of differnet dates to try to hit it.
Mar 7th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Portland is what I had in mind when I posted the fare sale. It is only from certain airports and Pittsburgh may not be one them. I found it directly on the USAir site. I am waiting for the airfare to St. Thomas to drop for a trip to St. John, but with that airfare in June and my desire to see the Portland area, I am tempted to postpone my plans for St. John and head back to Jamaica.
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:10 PM

Cartera/if you go via Kingston, check out Rebecca Wiersma's 'Faraway' farawayjamaica.com which is 1.5 hours from airport in Blue Mts.
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Tiverton,

What a beautiful place. Thanks.
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:33 AM

For you fans of Portland, Loops has begun to post photos of her recent trip on Jamaicans.com under trip reports and photos.

The title is Portland Parish Adventures...

Tivertonhouse thanks for pointing this site out under one of your previous posts.
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:18 AM

WOW !!!! It is soooo beautiful there , makes our decision for next year so hard , back to Portie , or Costa Rica again , tough choices huh !! ?? LOL , Faith .
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM

There are several trip reports with photos on Portland in that trip report forum on j.com right now.....
Mar 8th, 2005, 04:00 PM

The airfare sounds great, and I am looking to leave out of BWI. I don't know Jamaica. It sounds like Kingston isn't the best tourist destination. Where is Portland from there, how does one travel from Kingston to Portland, does Portland have accomodations on the beach, and where can I look to find a place to stay there?
Mar 8th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Portland is a parish on the northeast coast of Jamaica, its capital is Port Antonio.

It's just over 2 hours to Port A from Kingston.

Portland has incredible beaches, some in small coves, some longer stretches, some white sand, some very dark, some calm and clear, some with waves. The Blue Mountains come almost to the water's edge there, and it is the lushest (rainiest) area in Jamaica with rain forest and many waterfalls.

Most tourist accomodation and beaches are to the east of Port Antonio, between it and Long Bay. There are no large resorts here (at present, Sandals has bought the old Dragon Bay resort but hasn't done anything with it yet) but lots of villas, small hotels, guesthouses and some truly interesting and elegant hotels. It was the first tourist area in Jamaica but when cruise ships got too big for Port A's harbor and the airport in MoBay opened it quieted down a lot. Many hotels have a faded elegance feel that is really unusual.

Many hotels are on mountainsides facing the ocean so you can get some incredible views.
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM

I did a trip report under "Port Antonio Jamaica trip report" , by Willem . Just type that in the search column , and you will find it along with other great info. about the area ..... It really is the secret Jamaica ! Port Antonio Onestop has a great site , gives you an idea of lodging etc.
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

On of my best friends recently went to Kingston on a business trip so he ventured into Port Antonio for a day. He thought he would hate Jamaica because of all the bashing it gets but he loved it. He found the lushness magical and brought back an entire gallery of waterfall pictures. He has traveled all over the world and has lived in South America and in Europe and he said he will definitely return to Jamaica. He also found the people to be so accommodating and friendly.
Mar 10th, 2005, 05:11 PM

You're right about Kingston being the airport for travel to Portland and also thanks for the info on using the websites.

After reading the posts and doing some very quick research I find Portland very interesting. I'm not into big resorts, but I do enjoy just relaxing and great scenery. May just fit my needs.

Sam