Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   airfare (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/airfare-217364/)

heather May 8th, 2002 10:01 AM

airfare

Just wanted to know approxiatemently what is the average cost to fly to the Grand Caymans from Tx? I have looked into all the airlines and have found around $700/person. Is that average? Also, we are going in September, the slow season. Is it better to wait later in the summer to book a flight, due to the slow season in the Caymans?

Nancy May 8th, 2002 10:09 AM

Yes, that's too high...<BR>Wait until the last week/first couple days of each month and check the travel sites. They wait to see how much they will sell and put specials out.<BR>You should be able to save $200+ if you wait till later.<BR>Also, try to fly in and out Mon thru Thurs.<BR>Also, get on Travelocity.com and put in your airports with no dates. They'll give you best price through September.<BR>Good luck!

Michael From New York May 8th, 2002 11:45 AM

$700 per person from Texas...? Seems way way high. I went to Caymans on April 17-April 24th from New York and paid just 455 with American Airlines.

Wendy May 11th, 2002 02:52 PM

I went April 15 thru 23rd. Only paid $368.00 thru American Airlines flying out of Michigan. (short stop in Miami to switch planes) Excellent deal!!! Usually pay on average $500.00.

advice May 11th, 2002 06:04 PM

Why don't you try Priceline.com ?<BR>You can limit the number of transfers/stops + you can get a great deal.

LMc May 13th, 2002 03:51 PM

We are from the Dallas-Fort Worth area and we found airfare for $169 (no typo) per person thru Adventure Tours. We also found great rates at Sunshine Suites $130 for one bedroom with a kitchen! We went to GC last August and didn't take the kids, but we are going back this year with the kids. Email if you have any more questions. GREAT PLACE!

Trish May 13th, 2002 04:08 PM

Also try Hotwire and Orbitz and start tracking fares. We paid $617 from LA which is okay. We should have waited a little longer, but that was down $200 from what they were showing. We could have probably gotten tickets for at least $100 lower. It's frustrating because you think you are getting a lower deal on a flight and then find 5 weeks later that they are negotiating more seats on the same flight for $100+ less. I told my friend that I'm prepared to take a poll on the plane to see who paid what. Those who paid less than me cannot sit next to me. LOL :o)Be patient and track the fares for a few weeks to see what the trend is. Flexibility will help especially via red eyes. We have been trained to believe that booking way in advance will get you the best fares. That's not always true. Good luck.

heather May 13th, 2002 05:44 PM

Thanks for all the great info. I'm still looking!!!

Beth May 16th, 2002 06:43 AM

We just booked on US Airways (right before we heard they may be going belly up). We are going the end of June. $407 round trip after all the expensive taxes. Not bad!

Trish May 16th, 2002 02:15 PM

Beth: When did you hear that about US Air? We are leaving next Friday, but I had not heard that about them. That would be awful...so close to paradise yet so far. Any info you could share would be appreciated.

cdt May 17th, 2002 06:16 AM

USAir said a few days ago that it "may" have to file Chapter 11.<BR><BR>This "may" be averted by federal loan guarantees.<BR><BR>For trips in the near future I wouldn't worry much, because they will probably continue to operate for some time even if they file Chapter 11. Acquisition by another major airline is another possibility.<BR>

Beth May 17th, 2002 10:09 AM

I believe the article said they are going to file on June 28. That is the day we fly home from GC.

Trish May 20th, 2002 09:20 AM

Thanks for the info. The funny thing is I went home that night and there was a story on the news about the need for federal aid or possible bankrupcy. From the looks of things we will probably be okay. Upon visiting their website, they seem to be adding all sorts of flight paths which is a good sign that they don't plan on just shutting down abruptly. I guess if we were to get stuck in GC for a little longer I wouldn't be totally upset. :o) Thanks for your input.

Caroline May 20th, 2002 03:00 PM

That airfare is really high, I flew from Newark, NJ to Caymans for $423 including tax, etc, and that was on April 22, 2002.

Mindy May 24th, 2002 01:32 PM

We live in Texas and go to GC at Christmas every year and have paid $750 per person for the past two years on American Airlines through Miami so I would imagine that you could do better in September if you wait it out. Cayman Airways flies direct from Houston, but I have heard numerous rumors about poor maintenance and schedule problems so I have avoided them.