Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Air travel to desolate islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/air-travel-to-desolate-islands-228528/)

maria Jun 5th, 2002 05:15 PM

Air travel to desolate islands

I am interested in visiting some of the more isolated islands in the Caribbean-Turks and Caicos, St. Vincent, St. Kitts, St. Barts, etc. How outrageous is the airfare to these smaller islands, and which one would likely be the most economical. I would most likely be flying out of Columbus or Cincinnati, OH.

Marlette Jun 6th, 2002 07:02 AM

There are various sites online--use Google and just type out the airline--flights could be on Win Air -- LIAT -- Caribe Air --I'm sure there are others. Type in Airlines, Caribbean or whatever and see what you get othe than those above.

x Jun 6th, 2002 08:05 AM

There is jet service into Turks. Tons of flights. Check www.orbitz.com.

Statia Jun 6th, 2002 09:02 AM

Maria:<BR><BR>Keep in mind that for the smaller islands, you will have to fly into a larger hub and then take a puddle jumper. The airfare for island hopping is usually quite inexpensive...around $100 more or less. Personally, I would use the same main hub and see which smaller islands are easily accessible from there.<BR><BR>For instance, to go to St. Barth's, Saba, or St. Eustatius, you would fly into St. Maarten and all of those islands are 10-15 minute flights from there.<BR><BR>As far as which island is most economical, they vary. You also want to consider what what types of activities you like since every island is quite different in what it has to offer. Some are exciting, some are quiet, some have premier diving, while others have volcanoes to climb, etc.<BR><BR>I can tell you that St. Barth's would be the most expensive of those you listed.<BR><BR>Also, there are flights direct from the US on American Airlines into St. Kitts. You can also ferry over to Nevis from there.<BR><BR>Sorry I can't comment on the other islands you mentioned, but the airlines noted above are worth checking into. If you can't locate WinAir, it might be listed under it's full name...Windward Island Airways.<BR><BR>Good Luck!<BR><BR>

Matt Jun 6th, 2002 12:33 PM

Maria, There are direct flights from US to ST. Kitts i cannot find any and I am try to fly out of South Florida (dont think I could get any closer in the US) Cheapest flight I could find was though Orbitz (Miami via American Trans Air to San Juan and American Airlines to St. Kitts. and same return flight) at $561 per person. It also syas that the flight from San Juan to St. Kitts is 1 hour 15 minutes, those puddle skippers really that slow =]<BR>Thanks in Advance for any imput<BR>Matt

Statia Jun 6th, 2002 01:03 PM

Matt:<BR><BR>I know I've run into people on St. Kitts who flew American direct from the northeast (New York, Boston, etc.). However, you could very well be right about there being no flights from the Miami area.<BR><BR>I have found that American seems to fill planes to come to the Caribbean from northeastern hubs, whereas the flights aren't always full from the southeastern areas. This also tend to make the prices more expensive.<BR><BR>You might try going Miami direct to St. Maarten, and then using WinAir for the short flight to St. Kitts.<BR><BR>The flight time from San Juan to St. Kitts sounds about right. I fly American from San Juan to St. Maarten quite often and the flight is always just under an hour on the Eagle (if you get on a jet, then it's a half hour). St. Kitts is another 20 or so minutes past St. Maarten, so that sounds about right.<BR><BR>Good Luck and let me know if you need any other info for this area.

Statia Jun 6th, 2002 01:06 PM

Matt:<BR><BR>In retrospect, I'll bet you're getting a better deal on price going thru SJU, rather than SXM.

Lyn Jun 6th, 2002 02:24 PM

Statia, <BR><BR>Being the St. Bart's lover that I am I must take this opportunity to compliment you on your always civil and very informative posts. You do a great service to St. Martin/St. Maarten and the surrounding islands and are always right on the money with your advice. If you don't mind my asking, are you a native of St. Martin or an American just lucky enough to be able to live there or spend a lot of time there (whatever the case)? Thanks!

traveler Jun 6th, 2002 03:54 PM

might want to watch for details on USAir's "Go Caribbean Network" expansion with connections to many islands through 4 hubs in the Caribbean working with three regional carriers, WinAir, Caribbean Star and Nevis Express. Hopefully will cause some fare competition. Due to launch soon. Check Yahoo news for details. Flight schedules and fares not posted yet.

Statia Jun 6th, 2002 04:32 PM

Lyn:<BR><BR>Thank you so much for the compliment. That was very thoughtful of you. I am a US citizen who has resided with my husband on a tiny island near SXM for almost a decade now.<BR><BR>We originally came here for a "couple of years" and fell in love with the island lifestyle. I'd have to say that although the US will always be home, this area is home now, as well.<BR><BR>Thanks again and I hope to continue to be of help to travelers to our area.<BR><BR>

Paul Jun 6th, 2002 06:27 PM

It's kind of funny to see someone describe Turks and Caicos, St.Kitts and St.Barth as "desolate islands"! (If you want desolate islands, try places like Marie Galante or La Desirade). Turks and Caicos is on its way to becoming the next overcrowded Caribbean destination, although it'll need a little more time before it catches up to places like Grand Cayman.<BR>Anyway, for airfare I can only speak of St. Barth. For that, the most efficient route is to fly to St. Martin and then catch an Air Caraibes or Winair flight to St.Barth. That little 10 minute flight goes for about $120. So add that to your round trip flight cost between the mainland and St.Martin.

Statia Jun 6th, 2002 07:07 PM

Actually, if you really want desolate, go to Flat Island off St. Maarten.<BR><BR>However, I agree that a lot of the islands mentioned are not desolate, but rather "less touristy."<BR><BR>I knew what Maria meant, though.

Statia Jun 6th, 2002 07:10 PM

Paul:<BR><BR>BTW - Thanks for including the airfare to St. Barth's. I usually fly with a friend, so I had no idea what it costs.<BR><BR>My island is five minutes farther and costs LESS to fly to. Wow...even WinAir charges more for St. Barth's.<BR><BR>