Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Air Taxi to VIrgin Gorda vs. Flight to Tortola (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/air-taxi-to-virgin-gorda-vs-flight-to-tortola-494120/)

YouGoGirl Jan 10th, 2005 05:36 AM

Air Taxi to VIrgin Gorda vs. Flight to Tortola

Looking into Little Dix Bay, although the traveling time is discouraging me. It is a 6 1/2 hour trip from NYC.
Wondering if anyone has taken the air taxi from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda? LD website states you can wait up to 90 minutes. What do you do once you get to Virgin Gorda? Boat ride to Tortola? Assuming there is a minimal wait for the air taxi, how long should it take to get from St. Thomas airport to LDB? Is it better to just take the connection from San Juan to Tortola?
Thanks

cdt Jan 10th, 2005 06:15 AM

If you fly to Tortola you will then have to take a ferry to Virgin Gorda and a taxi to Little Dix - unless LDB has some special arrangement for picking up people at the Tortola airport.

My experience changing planes in San Juan has been okay but some people tell horror stories. The American Eagle flight from there is a 30-minute hop on a decent-sized turboprop.

Flying from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda is very quick (provided the pilot doesn't stop en route in Tortola), but you will be on a very small plane. Watch out for strict limits on luggage weight.

It's really a tossup. Because we've had no problems in San Juan and my wife hates tiny planes, I would fly to Tortola on American.

Carib_Ian Jan 10th, 2005 06:27 AM

I believe the airport at Virgin Gorda is scheduled to close for good so that may not be an option for you.

cdt Jan 10th, 2005 06:52 AM

Wow, Carib_Ian, I didn't know about that!

After seeing your post I did some Web research and although nothing is 100% certain, it does appear that counting on a STT-VG flight would be unwise (except maybe before April 1).

I hadn't been following the BVI news lately because we decided to try Mexico this winter. The airport situation understandably has a lot of people upset.

YouGoGirl Jan 10th, 2005 07:45 AM

Thanks for the info...
Carib_Ian and cdt...which do you prefer, Little Dix Bay or Caneel? Going for relaxation, beautiful beaches/water.
Thanks

swimmr Jan 10th, 2005 07:52 AM

I had good luck using Cape Air from SJU to Tortola. Quick flight but small plane. That doesn't get you to Virgin Gorda, but there is a water taxi to Virgin Gorda from Tortola ($20).

fred2 Jan 19th, 2005 11:05 AM

Little Dix will take you by boat from the Tortola Airport to Little Dix - about 20 minutes in the boat. It's a great view to come round the point to see the beach at little dix. Little Dix has booth in the airport where you check-in. The airport is at the east end of Tortola so the boatride is not long (and they offer rum punch and sodas - and it's the last free rum punch you'll get so drink up!). The cost is $85 (for round trip service) per person (if I read the website correctly). We love Little Dix and plan on going back again this summer. We've for the most part used American Eagle from SJU to Tortola though there are other choices. There have been flight delays - but I don't know that I think the other airlines are any better at not having delays.