Search

Air Jamaica News

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Jamaica News

For those of us in New England who have come to love that direct flight from BOS to MBJ, please be advised that it is now available only on Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

That equally wonderful return flight from MBJ to BOS is available on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.

So travel on the weekend will pose new challenges.

I happened upon this information, not because of any true compulsion, but because I was changing my return date ;-). Air Jamaica was helpful in transferring my reservation to USAir out of BOS with a connection in Charlotte. Not great but better than showing up at the gate and getting hysterical ;-) !

Marion

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Marion,

I hope you have a decent layover in Charlotte, we had 55 minutes in May and only just made our connection, even though, as non-US citizens, there was only one person in front of us as we went through immigration - the US citizen line was very long.

Pack your running shoes

On the funny side - due to increased security I suppose - after immigration upon entering the main floor we had our passports and boarding cards checked by security and then again by the next security guy but seriously we'd only walked 20ft.

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi Alya,

I have an hour between flights, so I guess I should wear my running shoes and not pack them ;-)

It's a connection on USAir so hopefully the gates will be close !

Marion

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Marion

Will you be checking your luggage? As I said we were through immigration 10 minutes after getting off the plane, but had to hang around waiting for our luggage and then re-checking it!

Good luck

BTW where are you going? - I'm looking at Treasure Beach for a getaway with our son late August.
Don't really want to go to Jamaica so soon after our last trip but don't have any time to research where else to go At least with Jamaica we know what we're getting into.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Alya,

Yes ,my luggage will be checked straight through. My Maine born parents were married in Charlotte back in 1939. They always wanted me to visit...and although this won't be a visit, I'm hoping for some good karma from them !

I'll be at another villa in the hills outside of MBJ.

Treasure Beach is an area that I hope to get to next year. Take a look at www.jamaicaescapes.com...some lovely properties listed there. I know EJ stayed at Mar Blue and enjoyed the area very much. Maybe she'll chime in here and give you some help.

Part of the charm of Jamaica is the diversity of location, so I'm sure Treasure Beach will feel completely different.

Enjoy your planning !

Marion
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:25 PM

LOL

I do hope the Karma works for you

Our youngest daughter's name is Charlotte, I would have liked to have bought her a keyring but if I had we'd have missed the flight - perhaps next time.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Marion:
Have you had good luck with Air Jamaica? We're booked on them from Baltimore on the 30th ... and I've read some horror stories about delays (some even several days long). When I got the tickets, I was thrilled to have nonstop flights (and 3 out of 4 of them free tickets on frequent flyer miles!). We booked 2 on AJ and 2 on Delta (because of the miles), but they are the same flight. Now, the return flight is making a stop in Kingston ... and I learned by happenstance from Delta that 2 of our returns got cancelled because Delta doesn't codeshare from Kingston. We fixed that, but now I'm worried this will not go smoothly. Not sure what I can do so maybe it's not worth the worry. Just would appreciate any AJ tips. Thanks.
--K.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kate,

I wish I could be more help, but I don't think so.

My experience with Air Jamaica has beeen for the past two years from BOS to MBJ, where all flights were on time and quite pleasant.

I booked my flight for 11/27 months ago and called yesterday to change the date coming home. Otherwise I would not have checked until the last week.

I don't know how to advise you, except to suggest that you have a glass of wine, call AJ and talk to a supervisor. It may be time consuming but may provide some peace of mind.

Good luck !

Marion