Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   AI Resorts in Jamaica (not Sandals)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/ai-resorts-in-jamaica-not-sandals-430709/)

christina2345 Sep 9th, 2008 06:01 PM

AI Resorts in Jamaica (not Sandals)?

Hi, we are planning a trip to Jamaica this fall/winter. We have been to Sandals numerous times and want to try a different AI resort.

I have narrowed it down to:
Half Moon
RIU Mo Bay
Grand Palladium
Iberostar Rose Hall
Gran Bahia Principe

Anyone have good/bad reviews to share on the service/location/food etc? All opinions are welcome!
Thanks for reading.
Chris

sam17 Sep 10th, 2008 03:25 AM

With the exception of Half Moon, I would suggest that Swept Away Resort is way better than the other choices. Half Moon is a very good quality hotel, albeit a bit more formal feeling than Swept Away

KVR Sep 10th, 2008 03:54 AM

After staying at the RIU Tropical Bay in Negril, I wouldn't recommend any RIU's. We've also been to two Sandals properties. I would try one of the Couples resorts, Grand Lido or Sunset at the Palms.

christina2345 Sep 10th, 2008 06:45 AM

Thanks! I will check those out. I guess I should add that I don't want to travel very far from the MB airport, since we will only be going for 4 nights... I think Ochos Rios is far, right? What AI's are w/i 30 mins or so of the airport?
Thanks for the advice and help.

KVR Sep 10th, 2008 03:50 PM

"What AI's are w/i 30 mins or so of the airport?"

Not sure of the exact distance from the airport, but here's a list of the AI's in Montego Bay. You probably don't want to be all that close to the airport as there has been numerous reported complaints of some hotels that are close regarding the air traffic noise.

Check Trip Advisor for customer reviews and pictures.

Breezes Montego Bay by SuperClubs

Half Moon, Rose Hall

Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach
Rose Hall Rst & Spa

Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Sandals Montego Bay

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort

Sunset Beach Resort & Spa

The Ritz-Carlton Glf&Spa Rst, Rose Hall

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Rst & Spa

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Riu Montego Bay

I'm not familiar with all the hotels listed and have not stayed in any, but from research, the Iberostars in Mexico get great reviews. Actually, the Iberostars in Mexico puts all Sandals properties to shame with regard to included amenities, service, and price. The Mexico chain AI resorts like the Iberostars and the RIU's get bad press from the Jamician officals and loyal Jamaica fans due the way the properties where built.

Breezes and Holiday Inn are party type hotels and Sunset Beach allows cruise ships to dump their passengers there for the day.

ohliz Sep 13th, 2008 12:42 PM

I think Half Moon is the best on your list. It's established (been there for decades), HUGE in terms of acreage, has 50+ swimming pools, 3 beaches, at least, golf, horseback riding, every type of accommodation from rooms to staffed villas. Close to the airport but not TOO close.

I've not stayed there overnight but have been on the property several times and every staff person I have come in contact with has gone above nad beyond to be helpful.

suze Sep 13th, 2008 08:56 PM

<<I think Ochos Rios is far, right?>>

How far is the drive from Montego Bay? I thought it was fairly close??

KVR Sep 14th, 2008 04:05 AM

Ocho Rios is about 90 minutes from Montego Bay airport.

suze Sep 14th, 2008 09:01 AM

Thanks KVR. I've always gone the other direction to Negril.