Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   AI in Negril (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/ai-in-negril-196297/)

Jamaica Mon Jan 24th, 2003 06:16 AM

AI in Negril

I am looking to go to Jamaica in July or early August. This will be my first trip to Jamaica and I know that I want to stay in Negril because a nice beach is a must. I would like to stay at an all-inclusive but can't afford the Sandals/Couples/Superclubs resort this year. What is a nice, affordable all-inclusive in Negril? A nice beach is the first priority, watersports (sailing catamarans) would be another one, and good food/drinks...nightlife, shopping, etc. not important. I would perfer adults only, but it is not a must. Thanks in advance for your help!

Eric Jan 24th, 2003 07:18 AM

Point Village is a nice, moderately priced AI. It is in a great location, and does have watersports (i.e. kayaking, sunfish sailing, etc.)...<BR><BR>On the other hand - you will spend half as much if you instead stay at a non all-inslusive. You will probably eat better food as well. Check out white-sands. Nice place, great price. <BR><BR>Go to www.negril.com for info.<BR><BR>Enjoy Jamaica,<BR>Eric

Jamaica Mon Jan 24th, 2003 07:47 AM

Eric, thanks for the reply. I like the idea of all-inclusive because I don't have to get up from laying on the beach, get ready and leave the resort to eat lunch (I am big on being lazy when on vacation!). I also like the fact that I don't have to think about my finances the entire time I am there. Having gourmet food is not a big priority to me, as long as my tummy is filled (and the food is edible!). <BR><BR>Thanks for the help. I will check out Point Village.<BR><BR>Also, we are traveling with another couple and I thought a villa with a staff may be an option. Any ideas on this?? Any in Negril?? I have never rented a villa before, so not too sure about this.

Eric Jan 24th, 2003 08:02 AM

Villas will be rather expensive on the beach. However, you can rent a villa on the cliffs very reasonably. There are a number of great cabins, cabanas, etc.<BR><BR>My wife and I just returned from Banana Shout, and absolutely loved it. Far less vendors and hagglers than on the beach - more privacy, and a taxi to the beach is only $3... <BR><BR>OR - you can rent a villa with beachfront in Treasurebeach very cheap. Calabash house in TB will only cost $125 per night (total). It's excellent - I visited while staying in TB recently. <BR>Go to www.treasurebeach.net to check it out. Treasuer Beach is theh best of Jamaica (in my opinion).<BR><BR>Good Luck,<BR>Eric

liza Jan 24th, 2003 10:48 AM

There are very fancy villas in Negril now, with prices to match, see Moondance Villas or Aqua Moon.<BR><BR>More reasonable but also with staff including cook, are the cottages at Nirvana - nirvananegril.com or the villas at Rondel Village - rondelvillage.com.<BR><BR>I've stayed at the last two and enjoyed them very much. Also check out Whistling Bird - they have a private guest-only restaurant and bar and you can do a meal plan there if you like...also several cottages with 2-3 rooms.