AI for several families - possibly jamaica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip for 4+ families next summer. We have been to the Riviera Maya area and enjoyed it, but other families have said that they don't want to go there. None of us want to go to the Dominican. We are thinking of Jamaica, since that seemst to have the next highest concentration of AIs, plus we think we should be able to get a decent price for flights (can leave from Philly or New York). Youngest kids would be 13, and then several "kids" in their late teens/ early 20s. Possibly something comparable $wise to the Barcelo Maya where we stayed in the Riviera Maya. We were pretty happy with the level of service/ rooms etc there, too, as a guideline.
Appreciate any suggestions.

thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Sorry - forgot to mention, one family is also interested in getting scuba certified. Doesn't have to be right at the resort, but somewhere close.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was coming to post and suggestion Negril, if you want Jamaica. But I have no idea about scuba diving availabilitly around the island.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 10:09 PM

I'd recommend doing the scuba lessons at home but take the open water certification whereever you end up. The instruction can be hit and miss. There are a few scuba places on Negril beach & on the cliffs, I did some dives with Sun Divers which is on the beach nearest the town.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 03:15 AM

www.scuba-jamaica.com

best 5 star diving op

bookit.com for AIs

Paradisus Rui properties priced right good for families

luxurylink.com for more upscale

Vellas at Round Hill are great non AI

Rock House Inn Negril amazing value also for me but non AI
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 03:28 AM

www.riu.com/en/Paises/jamaica sorry for typo above

good recent value articles on Rock House

at cntraveler.com might help u in your research.

Sticky with PADI operations for quality instructors

many scammers proper diving certification can be life saving.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM
KVR

Most of the family AI resorts will be located in Montego Bay. Here's a list for you to research:

Iberostar, Grand Palladium, Holiday Inn Sunspree, Riu Montego Bay, Sunset Beach Resort & Spa, The Ritz-Carlton and Hilton Rose Hall.

There are a couple of RIU's in Negril. We stayed at the Riu Tropical Bay and did not like it. It is a good step down from a Barcelo. (IMHO)

We have been researching for Ocho Rios in December. We want a couples vacation. I'm finding the choices severally limited and more expensive compared to Mexico. Maybe the Franklyn D. Resort or Gran Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay.

We've only done one scuba dive and that was in Curacao and it did not require any type of certification. Don't waste precious vacation time trying to get scuba certified. Do all the required classes at home and then just the open water certification on vacation.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 06:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd try to talk you into Mexico. I think the Mayan Riviera offers exactly what you seek and is generally not as expensive as Caribbean islands.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 10:13 AM
KVR

However, the OP already stated that have been to the Barcelo Maya in the Riviera Maya and some of there family memebers didn't want to go there.

Jamaica is a good second choice if you are not looking for the same type of choices, accomendations and prices that Mexico offers. That's why we keep returning to Mexico and only been to Negril once. But, after 10 trips to Mexico it was time for a different destination, and will have to suck up the differences. Keep an open mind when looking for a resort.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Me and a friend went to Montego Bay,Jamaica in 2005 for my Bachelorette party and stayed at Sunset Beach Resort & Spa and it was AI. They have a nice water park in the resort and had some nice restaurants and bars at the resort too. We did take a taxi into the city a couple of times to go to Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville and shopping.The resort had shows almost every night we were there and they were pretty good. Jamaica was a blast and would like to go back with my husband one day. Where ever you go I hope ya'll have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 03:09 PM

re diving. PADI nows offers the non water portion of the course online.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions. Has anybody had any experience with the Iberostar hotels in Jamaica
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not is Jamaica, but I've been to Iberostar in Mexico and Punta Cana. Iberostar resorts are great no matter where they are.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 05:57 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Grand (adults only) Rose Hall in Montego Bay in March. It was great and we will most definitely return. Great service and very good food. I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM

One of my co-workers just returned from a week visit at the Iberostar Rose Hall property and loved it. He travelled with his wife and two teenage sons.

That being said, my only visit to Jamaica was many years ago and I didn't care much for it. I found the people very rude and would say it has been my least favorite island in the Caribbean.

Different strokes!