AI Advice For Newbie to AI's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I an thinking of going to an AI for a relaxing, bond with a sibling trip. We don't get together often. Spending time together is the top priority.

I like a clean, modern, lovely setting with a variety of places to eat, beaches to walk, SHADE to relax in on the beach (I am fair and fry w/ the high SPF slathered on), and a private balcony.

Sibling likes sports (diving, snorkeling, volleyball, bike riding), fresh food and reasonably priced rooms.

We both like horseback riding. We both dislike crowds, and rowdy party activities. Neither seek alcohol (no objection to it - not an interest).

A band to listen to in the evenings is nice.

We know there are some limitations to AI.

We both have enjoyed more independent travel before.

However, for this trip relaxation and sibling bonding are the top priorities.

Any ideas will be a great help.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM

I'd choose Jamaica and probably base myself in Negril. There's no horseback riding there, but you can go to Chukka, which is between Negril and MoBay and ride horses into the surf. The Riu hotels are the cheapest and have pretty extensive sports facilities, but I'd probably steer you toward one of the smaller all-inclusives there. Lots of people on this board go to Negril regular and will be able to help you.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:07 AM
KVR

Just a question, but if you don't drink alcohol, why do you want an AI hotel? We are big fan of AI properties, but it's mainly due to the unlimited alcohol. Food at AI properties are typically not the best. Of course, there are some exceptions, usually the higher cost properties. It's more quanity than quality, which is fine for us, but the reason most people don't like them and steer other people away from them also.

We stayed at the RIU Tropical Bay in Negril and would not recommend this property for relaxing. We experienced large groups of obnoxoius people and lots of singles. Not our style. The food was pretty bad overall, but we could deal with that.

If your really wanting AI look at the Playa del Carmen/Mexican Riveria area, Cozumel, MX or the Domincian Republic. If you decide not to do AI, there will be lots more choices.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Doug.

KVR, I like the don't have to drive, get a taxi or hike for meals. I am a picky eater and have enjoyed the try something and go elsewhere if I don't like it easy eating style of ships.

Also, getting to relax while my sibling plays sports with others is appealing.

Is alcohol most of what AIs are known for? I drink little or nothing and my sibling drinks nothing. Will we be at a giant college party with lots of wild partiers? Nothing wrong with that. However, does not seem too relaxing. Is it?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM

No, AI's are not just for alcohol. Your reasons for selecting AI are valid. I enjoy having drinks when on vacation, but certainly do not consume alcohol all day. I am sure that is a big draw for some though. All the things you mentioned are what I like too....not having to drive for a meal if we don't want to, but having that option to go off resort if we do want to. I also like being able to order more than one entree, as you said, if I don't care for my first choice. I like trying new drinks, but you can always have virgin pina coladas too. I like that I can get a soda and if I spill it in the sand, so what. I also like the activities that are included in an AI such as the sailboats.
You might encounter some rowdy travelers as you might on a cruise as well, or anywhere, but if you choose a nece place that preferably has more than one pool, and several restaurants, you should be fine.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM
KVR

AI's are not soley for alcohol consumption, but is one of the main draws. Not all AI properties are wild, college type people either. Many are for Couples only, like Sandals or Couples properties.

One of the reasons we like AI are for the reasons you mentioned also. We don't like hunting for resturants, taking cabs and paying for food that usually just as good or worse than the AI property.

Look at Mexico or Aruba. Nice AI properties with lots of things to see and do off property.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 09:07 AM

We have stayed at AI's and have not found people to necessarily be drawn to them because of their desire to drink. I've only seen one person ever who had too much to drink. I myself drink very little. We've had some great vacations at AI's. They've had very nice beaches and nice pools. Others seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.
None of the resorts ever seemed crowded even though if there were a lot of people there. We never had a problem finding a beach or pool chair, except at one resort.
The food was usually delicious, plentiful and varied. Maybe it was just the places we've been, but most have had excellent service and menu's. There is usually a dress code for the restaurants at night.
There is also entertainment every night. The music, and dancing tends to be extremely enjoyable.
The staff were always friendly and helpful.
I wouldn't hesitant to stay at an all-inclusive if I were you as your sibling will find plenty of sports included in the price and a chance to bond. I think you will end up feeling fortunate to have found such wonderful time together.

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Well said Knowing. It's great to have unlimited drinks, alcohol or virgin, even water, but the features the OP is looking for are all there too. (For our honeymoon, I chose AI because it included waterskiing everyday 2X a day.!)
This will be a great relaxing trip to bond with your sibling, and there will be lots to do, or as much vegging out time as you like without a worry about anything.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, for the detailed replies.

Anyone willing to share the names of the specific AIs you enjoyed?

Thanks again
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My sister and I spent a week at the Iberostar Del Mar in Mexico's Riviera Maya. It's an all inclusive with a great beach and huge pool area. They have several buffets and at least six ala carte restaurants for dinner. It is a HUGE resort, but we loved it. I never had such a relaxing vacation.
By the way, I think I might have had only one alcoholic drink each day!