Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Affordable Great Carribean Vaca in Feb. (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/affordable-great-carribean-vaca-in-feb-278675/)

Mike Dec 10th, 2002 06:37 AM

Affordable Great Carribean Vaca in Feb.

My wife and I (no kids) are planning a vacation to the Carribean for a week in Feb. We are looking for recommendations for an isle that is upscale, quiet yet affordable.<BR><BR>We like fine dining, beautiful beaches and great service. Activities are not that important. Is there any place for @ $3,000 to $3500?

Anna Dec 10th, 2002 06:42 AM

Hi Mike!<BR><BR>Is the 3,000 - 3500 your budget for resort only or is that for your entire trip??

Angela Dec 10th, 2002 09:52 AM

Mike,<BR><BR>Try Couples Negril, Jamaica (an all inclusive COUPLES only resort), it is amazing, I just returned from there 2 days ago!

Tiffany Dec 10th, 2002 11:12 AM

Mike, I am partial to Antigua. I just honeymooned there about 2 months ago and we loved it. This island has amazing beaches! We stayed at Sandals and LOVED the resort. The landscaping was incredible, the beach/water/sunsets were amazing, the service was good (nothing spectacular), the food was decent (again, nothing spectacular but good), the room was comfortable, plenty of water/land sports available (and included), and a spa. <BR><BR>You may be able to do this resort for your price, but that's not including airfare. But even if Sandals is not for you, there are plenty of other affordable resorts on the island. For instance Jolly Beach Resort or Rex Halcyon Cove (next door to Sandals). I have heard good things about these resorts. Antigua is a good spot, we fell in love with it and plan on making it back once a year! The Sandals resort has a real laid back and romantic feeling to it also. Good luck and enjoy your vacation!!

Penney Dec 10th, 2002 11:36 AM

Totally agree on Sandals Antigua - you can book lower room category since all room locations are nice and save alot.<BR><BR>There is also Sandals Ocho Rios - we have been to many Sandals and it is really one of the prettiest properties - very lush and tropical and very affordable. Go for a garden unit.<BR><BR>www.libertytravel.com give a good idea on what costs what where. There is also travel zoo for specials.

Mike Dec 10th, 2002 02:38 PM

We are figuring this would include airfare. We live in Pa (east coast).<BR><BR>If we get alot higher in price, I figure we should jus go back to Hawaii, which we have found WONDERFUL.

Sam Dec 10th, 2002 04:11 PM

For $3,000 - $3,500 including airfare, food and hotel during high season, you would hard pressed to find an upscale resort. There are plenty of places if that is your budget, but not upscale.

xxx Dec 10th, 2002 06:12 PM

Suggestions for Sandals are great, truly awesome but it is not in your budget for high season. I would have to suggest DR or Punta Cana. Try applevacations.com and see what specials they have for the time frame. May suit you better. Also consider Playa Del Carmen, in Mexico. You may be able to do Aruba. Not sure.

VVV Dec 11th, 2002 10:06 AM

Mike, If you're traveling from Philly,call 1-800-343-9244. Trips are updated continuously.<BR> Can't beat the deals!

Sam Dec 11th, 2002 10:59 AM

To VVV: I'm from Philly so I called the number and the recorded voice was so annoying that I didn't even bother to wait to hear about the trips. You obviously work at and/or own this company, so a word of advice, get another voice! If you do not work at and/or own the company and used them, then I give you a lot of credit for be able to listen. If you are neither and are the voice, I apologize, but it was very irritating!

Steve Dec 11th, 2002 11:39 AM

<BR>Hi Mike:<BR><BR>Try Air Canada Vacations.<BR><BR>They have some direct flights (via Toronto) to Cayo Largo, Cuba.<BR><BR>It is a Cuban owned island off the south coast of Cuba, but Air Canada does offer direct flights from Toronto.<BR><BR>I would stay at the 5* Melia Club Sol Cayo Largo. I have stayed there and it was amazing. Great food, several restaurants to choose from (right within the resort) and a very laid-back relaxing time.<BR><BR>Steve

pb Dec 11th, 2002 02:11 PM

I am also from Philly. I called the 1-800 #. I have to agree 100%--get another voice. OH my goodness, how utterly annoying can it be?? I think someone thinks they are being &quot;cute&quot; but it only annoying. Who could stand to listen to that?? Sam sure is right on that call. Sorry but it is beyond irrating. I thought how bad can it be, I am going to see for myself. Sam was right. Sorry don't mean to offend anyone but change that voice.

mike Dec 12th, 2002 05:36 PM

What is Punta Cana like? I have a travel agent suggesting this? Just don't know much about it.

xxx Dec 12th, 2002 06:17 PM

Punta Cana is lovely afforadable Carribean Destination. Many Canadians seem to frequent the Island. I was there 3 years ago and they were building many new resorts. Most are AI. There are some areas where there is some Seaweed. It is a good value for the money, the water is a beautiful turquoise. Lovely color. There are more excursions now than before, when I was there.

Sam Dec 12th, 2002 07:29 PM

To PB: Was that voice irritating or what? At first I thought it was a man and then I thought it may be a woman with a &quot;throaty&quot; voice. I wonder if anybody has actually booked a trip and listened to the entire recording. It's worse than nails on a blackboard!

vvvinphilly Dec 13th, 2002 08:46 AM

OMG! that number is horrible, its like pulling teeth! What a stupid company that would expect someone to listen to that crap!

agreed! Dec 13th, 2002 09:22 AM

I am from Phila, that # has been around for about 10 years, it is very very reputable, I know people that have taken vacations through them. But that voice! It's horrendous! I haven't called it in a few years so I can't beleive it hasn't changed yet!

me Dec 13th, 2002 10:20 AM

st john is great. you'll most likely have to rent a villa - there are 2 hotels there and they run about $400 a night - villas are usually cheaper - and nicer in my opinion.<BR><BR>for me, st john is the most similar island to hawaii that i've found in the caribbean - on a MUCH smaller scale though. GREAT beaches, above avg food, laid back, the best beach bar i've ever been to (Beach Bar in Cruz Bay), and very lush.

June Dec 13th, 2002 11:08 AM

Hi, Mike, your agent was right on when he suggested Punta Cana. It's beautiful and affordable. The area that has a small amount of seaweed is SOUTH of the Barcelo resorts. All resorts from the Barcelo and NORTH are fantastic! Blue water and white sand beaches! For the best website, try this:<BR>www.debbiesdominicantravel.com<BR>or, not quite as good, but OK<BR>www.dr1.com<BR>