Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   advice on getting around in Jamaica- first visit (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/advice-on-getting-around-in-jamaica-first-visit-514417/)

senoralexander Mar 21st, 2005 06:06 AM

advice on getting around in Jamaica- first visit

My girlfriend and I are visiting Jamaica for the first time in April- only 4 nights, so I want to take advantage of the precious time we have. We are staying two nights at Rockhouse in Negril, and two nights at Jake's in Treasure Beach. Any suggestions on getting from Negril to Treasure Beach, with possibly a stop at either Mayfield Falls or YS Falls en route? I've read good things about Sala of Talk of the Town Tours. Also, getting from MoBay airport to Negril? Pros and cons of taking a JUTA taxi for much less? Not sure if I want to hassle with renting a car. Any advice is appreciated!

tivertonhouse Mar 21st, 2005 06:33 AM

Hire Sala for MoBay to Negril and to explore Mayfield Falls which is in Dolphin Head Mts -- and not en route to
Treasure Beach. Rebecca Wiersma and her drivers of Treasure Beach ([email protected] would be best for Negril to Treasure Beach and exploring YS (BEST to go there as early in am as you can to avoid tour bus crowds). JUTA drivers are fine but the two above are far more personalized, knowledgeable services. MoBay to Negril runs standardly about US$55-60 for about 45 min-1 hour trip, depending on route (go the B8 mt.road for better scenery). Negril to TB runs about US$110 (all rates are per 1-4 passengers, plus driver tip). Renting a car for just 4 nights isn't worth the expense, the hassle or the drive conditions.

tivertonhouse Mar 22nd, 2005 01:24 AM

Note:With rising gas prices on island, rates as of this week are going up about US$10 on all routes,whether JUTA or private driver.

senoralexander Mar 25th, 2005 08:35 AM

Thanks very much, Tivertonhouse, for your helpful advice!

kpookiem1 Mar 30th, 2005 02:54 AM

I am taking my 20 year old daughter to Jamaica and staying at the Wyndham Rose Hall. I am actually getting scared from all the horror stories I read! Can someone please tell me nice things about Jamaica and what to really be cautious about.

benj Mar 30th, 2005 04:27 AM

K1,

We took our 2 kids to Negril in May. Daughter was 17 & son 23. It was a wonderful time. Our son said it was the best vacation he'd had- including the one to London & Paris. We found the people incredibly friendly & never felt the least bit unsafe. We did stay in an AI since it was our 1st time but when we left the resort we still felt safe. Our best memory was getting into a philosophical discussion with a vendor on the beach. He was making jewelery from wicker strips & his peacefulness & profound thoughts were almost as neat as his craftwork.

Just be cautious & aware of your surroundings as you would be in any new place. It would be sad to be on edge all the time. Many of the stories are from areas of Jamaica that you might not go to. Go with a guide if you have any concerns. They will make sure you are safe. Relax & enjoy the vibes!

DaveJJ Mar 30th, 2005 08:44 AM

kpookiem1...My wife and I recently returned from a 2 week tour of Jamaica. We never had any problems nor encountered any situations where we felt unsafe. As others have stated, take your normal precautions. Should you wish to read the trip report on our holiday you can search under DaveJJ.