Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Advice on bringing meats in cooler to Cayman (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/advice-on-bringing-meats-in-cooler-to-cayman-177203/)

lynn Jan 19th, 2003 11:41 AM

Advice on bringing meats in cooler to Cayman

We've travelled to many islands and I often see folks bringing a cooler with food in it and last year in SXM one couple barbequed their steaks and chops every other night. Since we're staying in a condo with a full kitchen for two weeks we thought we would like to do the same. Is it OK in the Cayman Islands? Should I use dry ice and seal the cooler with duct tape? Planning the cooler to go as baggage? or as a carry-on. Has anyone traveled this way? I want to bring wine, too and need to find out how much I can bring. Thanks for your help<BR>Lynn

fyi Jan 19th, 2003 12:12 PM

Better check with your carrier but some airlines permit very little dry ice and most none at all. If you freeze things solid, it should stay frozen until you arrive without dry ice. Airlines are asking those with coolers to dump the ice at some airports to lighten the load. With the new security regs your cooler will be considered one checked bag or your carryon if it fits the size and weight requirement. Make sure it is well withing the weight requirements also as there are hefty charges for overweight (70 lbs.). The TSA recommends no food or beverages in the checked bags especially since all checked baggage must be left unlocked or open so you wouldn't be able to tape your cooler shut or you take the chance that they will open it and not reseal it. Of course if you are traveling from one of the airports where the inspection is done where you can observe the inspection, they will not let you touch your bag to reseal it once it is inspected at some airports. Just seems to me that the Cayman Islands would have groceries and wine stores that would save you the aggravation of joining the cooler brigade. It may be more a bit more expensive but it could certainly be well worth not having the hassle.

gourmet Jan 19th, 2003 12:28 PM

FYI is correct about the dry ice. Dry Ice is frozen carbon dioxide and only very limited amounts are allowed on board a commercial aircraft either as checked or cabin luggage. Also don't forget food and health guidelines that many countries have to prevent contaminated food from entering. You might not even be legally allowed to bring fresh food in at all. Some countries simply forbid it.<BR><BR>Best option is to simply forget the whole cooler idea. Simply pack a jar of your favourite steak sauce (A1, HP or such) plus your favourite spices and shop locally. The Caymans are civilized and for sure you must be able to buy a good steak or chop on the island. Support the local businesses.<BR><BR>Gourmet

xxx Jan 19th, 2003 02:02 PM

My sister in law flies from Houston to Grand Cayman and slips a few packages of frozen meat in her suitcase. Our flight is much too long to do that. The grocery stores are very nice and meat is only slightly more expensive. Depending on how long your flight is I would bring frozen steaks and buy the rest and forget a cooler.

lisa Jan 19th, 2003 05:32 PM

Why on earth would you go on vacation and worry about bringing your own meat? Go to the Virgin Islands if your worried about the meat in the Caymans.<BR>lisa

Scott Jan 20th, 2003 05:06 AM

You are allowed to bring in meat to GC, but it must be sealed as it was for sale from the store. I believe as far as wine goes, you are allowed four bottles per person. <BR><BR>Personally, I totally agree with the other posters about simply buying it there. Sure it will be a few bucks more, but the grocery stores in GC are just as modern as in the states, and you'll find everything you need. Save yourself the hassle, and buy it there. Remember, this is vacation, make it easy on yourself. Going through the hassle of the cooler &amp; customs simply isn't worth the very few bucks saved.

lynn Jan 20th, 2003 05:38 AM

OK, perhaps you are right. We spent a couple of weeks on our last vacations to St Martin and Guadalupe and both times I surprised myself by getting sick of eating out, especially fine dining. The food in both places was perfect, don't get me wrong. We have always hit the grocery stores for many things anyway, but I think I was put off by the reports of exhorbitant prices of everything in Cayman. We expect higher prices on all the islands, but my travel agent says that here it is really, really high. Of course I don't WANT to travel with any more hassle than necessary, so I'll ditch the idea.

OHCOMEON Jan 20th, 2003 05:50 AM

I don't know anything about bringing food on vacation. I was wondering if you could Fedex your food overnight? I don't know but the thought of bringing meats and such on vacation just sounds really out there. I can understand not wanting to eat out every night but there are always alternatives. Take out food to bring back to your room and enjoy on your balcony while watching the ocean and stars, there are always great local places that are less &quot;fussy&quot; with the food and is always a good, less expensive choice. The hassle of lugging around meat thru the airport and to the Island just sounds like too much work and for what? Try catching some fish and cooking it in your kitchen!

Olivia Jan 20th, 2003 11:29 AM

Buy your grocery needs in Cayman. It simplifies your life and isn't that what vacation is about. Their grocery stores have anything and everything that the US stores have and prices, while more, are nothing outrageous. My personal thought is , if I can afford to go to Cayman, I can afford the grocery prices. You won't save that much by carrying groceries. And as for slipping a few packages of frozen meat in your suitcase, hope that's not one that doesn't make the plane and takes a day or two to arrive.

VVV Jan 20th, 2003 02:26 PM

An evening meal In GC usually cost about $120 for 2 people. That's reason enough to pack food: not to mention staying for 2 weeks.

Sandy Jan 20th, 2003 03:22 PM

Lynn,<BR>Glad you ditched the idea to bring food to the island. I have to agree, it's more of a hassle than it's worth. We always stay for 10 days and buy breakfast, lunch and about 5 dinner items, and never spend over $150 US. Foster's is a great grocery store, so check them out. Grilling steaks on the beach, watching the sunset is awesome!!!<BR>Sandy

Olivia Jan 20th, 2003 04:54 PM

Really have to disagree that meals run $120. per couple per evening. Go to the reefgrill.com site. Reef Grills is one of the priciest restaurants on the island. There are so many that cost less and they are not hard to find. We've had many that cost around $30-40 US per couple and they were great. It's fun to try different foods when you visit different countries. Have some adventure - it's fun and it'll save you money. The cost of most meals in Cayman is the drinking.