Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Advice for a resort for newly married 60 yr old couple.

Old Dec 13th, 2020, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

We’ve never been to the Caribbean or any islands. We’ll be newlyweds at age 60 next year. Would prefer a quieter experience on the water. Either all inclusive or not. Pools, scenic white beaches, restaurant choices, maybe a spa, some water activities available.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you.
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You haven't supplied enough information for anyone to give you meaningful suggestions. Just about every island has what you are seeking. Keep in mind too that many countries and Caribbean islands currently have strict travel limitation due to Covid-19 and you may be required to quarantine for anyway from several days to 2 weeks upon arrival at your destination or upon returning to your home country. Know too that the Covid situation can change from week to week so you'll have to keep abreast of any restrictions that might change between now and when you plan to travel. No one can predict what they will be when you will actually travel.

To help narrow down your search it would help if you supplied the following:

When next year will you be traveling?

Where will you be traveling from?

How much time are you willing to travel to reach your destination?

Do you want a destination you can reach non-stop from your nearest International Gateway airport or are you willing to take one or more connecting flights and/or ferry rides to reach your final destination.

How long a trip are you planning?

What type of budget do you have in terms of actual dollars for airfare, hotel, food and activities? - Please give specific dollar amounts and not some nebulous term like "affordable", "not too expensive" or "won't break the bank" as the contributors here have no idea what you can "afford" , what you deem "expensive" or how "strong your bank is" unless you tell us.

Do you prefer large resorts with every conceivable amenity or do you prefer smaller boutique style hotels?

When you say "water activities" what do you actually mean? Are you interested in sailing, deep sea fishing, para-sailing, jet skis, water skiing,, etc? Is snorkeling and/or scuba diving important to you?

Are you looking for any type of land based activities?

Are you looking for a large island experience with all that might offer or are you seeking a small out of the way quiet island?

Do you envision staying on a lush volcanic based island with dense rainforests, mountains, waterfalls, and smaller cove like darker sand beaches or would you prefer to visit a flatter and arid limestone based island with long stretches of lighter sand beaches?

Last edited by RoamsAround; Dec 13th, 2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Traveling late 2021 or early 2022.
Leaving from NJ.

As little traveling from NJ to the destination as possible.
Five nights.
An ocean view from our room or deck or patio.
Close walk to the beach.
No land based activities or excursions needed.
Just nice stretch of white beach and blue water.
Water activities... swimming in the ocean and a couple of pools. Maybe kayaking. Snorkel maybe. That’s about it. She’d like a pool with swim up bar.

relaxing and swimming and walking along the beach. A few dining options. No nightlife really needed. A bar. Maybe a show.

Last edited by pja1; Dec 13th, 2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old Dec 13th, 2020, 12:36 PM

Look at beach front resorts on Grace Bay, Providenciales (Turks & Caicos) to find ones in your price range (which you did not supply). You'll find plenty of options in many price ranges - everything from basic hotels to full service resorts to condo resorts. Beautiful 12 miles long stretch of pure white sand beach lapped by bright turquoise blue water protected by an off-shore reef. Short 3.5 hour non-stop flights available from Newark airport. For starters check our Sands at Grace Bay, Open Club, Ocean Club West, Point Grace, West Bay Club, to name a few. Everything on your wish list is available on Grace bay.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 06:44 AM

Grace Bay is a great suggestion.
You might also want to check into some adult only resorts in Mexico's Riviera Maya. Easy to get to from NJ.
Look into the Royal Hideaway Playacar. It's an adults only all inclusive resort on a beautiful beach. It is a quiet resort which is what you said you wanted.
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Looking to spend no more than $500 a night meals included. Is that unrealistic?
Old Dec 14th, 2020, 02:47 PM

Club Med (one of the few All Inclusive resorts on Grace Bay) will probably be in your price range but I doubt you'd find it appealing - the resort is geared toward younger couples. Your $500/night (including food) budget is on the low side for resorts on Grace Bay but not impossible if you are willing to stay in more modest accommodation and forego "all Inclusive" option and dine on your own as some of the more moderate restaurants. Depending on your travel time frame you can probably room rates starting around $300 to $350/night. If you stay in one of the smaller units (Studio or one Bedroom) at some of the condo resorts you can prepare some or all of your own meals to say on food costs and stay within your budget.

Your $500/ (including food) will go a longer way if you follow schmerl's suggestion and look at All Inclusive resorts in Cancun, Playa del Carmen or perhaps Cozumel in Mexico. or look at All Inclusives in the Dominican Republic or Jamaica - you'll find plenty in your price range.

It will benefit you to do a bit of "first hand" research and check resort websites for pricing. The hospitality/tourist industry in most Caribbean destinations has been hard hit by travel bans due to the Covid pandemic leading a number of hotels to now offer special incentive pricing to entice tourists to visit their particular destination now that travel restrictions are beginning to lift. Whether these incentives will still be in effect for your planned dates of travel remains to be seen. The only way you'll know is to check directly with the hotels/resorts that interest you.

Good luck making your travel plans.
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 08:53 AM

Islands

If you dont go to the main cities it would be more quiet. Unless you go to all inclusive like sandles, theres one in jamaica! I heard good things about Grand Cayman, how clear the water is and it's supposed to be beautiful. St. Lucia looks really nice. I've been to St. Thomas which is very nice. I heard St. John is supposed to be nice, plus its quieter. I recommend St. John.

I'm sure no matter what you choose it'll be great.
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by pja1 View Post
We’ve never been to the Caribbean or any islands. We’ll be newlyweds at age 60 next year. Would prefer a quieter experience on the water. Either all inclusive or not. Pools, scenic white beaches, restaurant choices, maybe a spa, some water activities available.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you.
Not sure if this will fit the bill for you but we had planned on going to this resort on Barbados this past summer until COVID came into our lives. I was really looking forward to it. Will be on our short list once we start traveling again.

https://www.thecrane.com/?utm_source...=local-listing
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 08:40 AM

Carribean

I think Sandles would be your best bet. Everything is there. Its quiet. It's mostly couples.There's one in Jamaica and cancun. Probably other locations as well.

Lynn
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 01:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Grand Cayman is nice and quiet with long stretch of white beaches, beautiful waters. Restaurants are good. Nightlife is beach bars. There are many options for condos and hotels. We stayed at the Marriott which was nice, but small beach area. I would probably not stay there again. There are better options.

Bermuda is gorgeous with pink sand and small hotels and large ones. The Reefs Club is a beautiful hotel with the option of breakfast and dinner being included.(There are many very nice restaurants in Bermuda though). It has it's own private beach. It tends to be a couples resort for more middle aged group of people with some younger couples and some older ones of course. Very low key but pretty. It has a pool and hot tub area. It sits on a cliff over looking the ocean and beach area. Now, Bermuda is not a destination for the winter. Best weather will be from May till October. Water is still pretty warm in October. It is a very short flight from Newark airport. My husband, who is almost 60, this is the only place he says, let's go back to Bermuda again and we have been there several times.

Islands like Aruba have big white beaches with nice water and great restaurants but they are more lively. There are many hotel options and some condo/timeshare options there. Food is great and would never get a meal plan there. Flight is about 4 plus hours so may be too far.

St John is a quieter and pretty island.
I am sure the Bahamas have some nice outer islands that are quieter than Nassau. And, the Bahamas offer a short flight with white beaches. The Atlantis will have lots of options but it is a busier resort.

There are many islands with the all inclusive options like Sandals, but I have never been to an all inclusive so I can't recommend one to you.
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 06:56 PM

https://www.tensingpen.com/ in Negril Jamaica (fly into Montego Bay and shuttle 90 mins. out to Negril). This one is on "the Cliffs" but there is also the "7 mile" beach on the other half of Negril. Tensing Pen is luxurious adult swiss-family-robinson kind of vibe, overall Negril is a fairly rustic destination so may or may not suit your wishes.

Old Dec 29th, 2020, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

suze. Lobe this place! Have you stayed?,
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 08:56 AM

Negril

Rick's cafe is great, on the ocean, can see the sunset. Seven mile beach is nice but there are sellers trying to sell you stuff
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 03:55 PM

Hi pja1 - sorry to be late in answering. I've been to Negrl 3 times, about a decade apart each time!! The most recent was a reunion trip of old friends. 6 couples stayed at Tensing Pen, so I spent a lot of time there, had dinner in their restaurant, swam off the cliffs, etc. It's truly even more amazing than the photos can capture. Been around 'forever'. I stayed a couple doors down at Le Mirage, a more 'normal' local hotel that better fit my budget. I would not go to Rick's though, it's pretty much the only "tourist trap" up on West End Road -haha. Negril also attracts all ages, our group trip was for a number of people celebrating their 60th.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 09:03 AM

You may not be familiar with the "scene" in Negril. The cliffs don't have immediate walking access to a sandy beach. Once you reach the public beach, you get to deal with vendors and the like.

I'm not sure if this would be "resorty" enough for you or if the sand is the proper shade of white, but if Jamaica is on the radar, this place is a treasure, literally

Treasure Beach, Jake's

Old Jan 4th, 2021, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Suze, how far is the beach from Tensing Pen?
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 02:25 PM

It's definitely a taxi ride (or I think Tensing Pen has drivers). Not sure exactly but at least a few miles definitely too far to walk. I don't go often to the beach, because I like it better up on the Cliffs. I did spend a day at Charela Inn (sister hotel to Le Mirage) so have a feel for it. Here is the best website to get to know more about Negril https://www.negrilonestop.com/
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 02:36 PM

There are many restaurants available on the Cliffs that are walking distance. So you don't always have to head into the town or down to the beach as far as meals, when you want to eat outside Tensing Pen's own restaurant. Negril is rustic. I can't stress that enough. Not so much once you're at the hotel but generally speaking. I love it there but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Old Jan 5th, 2021, 08:33 AM

Port Antonio in Jamaica is definitely worth a looksee. It has a market, at least one superb nearby beach (Frenchmans Cove) and proximity to daytrips such as blissful river rafting and attractive waterfalls. Ya mon, 'da Roof Club in PA is also a fun place to visit for dancers and music fans. Our experience was that da' 'erb in PA was of a premium quality. As to its resorts mi cyan comment 'pon 'dat.
I am done. The end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information