Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Advice?: 1 wk all inclusive in carribbean- where's CHEAPEST???

Mar 30th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi! I want to go to the Carribbean during the week of Nov 7th- can anyone advise on where is the CHEAPEST place to go all inclusive? I dont want the place to be falling apart but I dont want to spend much- I really just want to get away- no kids- just a young couple mid twenties- thanks a ton!
Mar 30th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Not my favorite country by a long shot, but the DR will have the cheapest package rates around, esp. Punta Cana; Aruba is also cheap.
Mar 30th, 2005, 09:51 AM
EJC

Dominican Republic (DR) is not my favorite either,but it is the cheapest in the caribbean.But Aruba is,by no means CHEAP.As a matter of fact, I would say it's one of the most expensive.
If you're looking for a good deal and big fun,try Cancun,Mexico. The beaches are fantastic and there are many All Inclusives.
Mar 30th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Aruba is VERY expensive.I don't know why someone thought that it was cheap.I was there in April 04.

Have heard that Cancun hotels are cheap but the food is expensive.

Jamaica LOOKS to be pretty reasonable, but could be wrong.
Mar 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM
cdt

DR usually is cheapest for AI and Puerto Plata area may be even less than Punta Cana.

Cancun has cheap AI's; farther south along the Yucatan coast they're reasonable but not cheap.

I've noticed some low-priced AI deals on Jamaica's north coast (e.g. Montego Bay area and east toward Ocho Rios) - not talking about Sandals, Couples, etc., but some cheaper places.

And if you hail from a country that allows its citizens to visit Cuba, my Canadian friends tell me there are some deals to be found there.

Mar 31st, 2005, 04:31 AM

DR would seem your best bet. Although Puerta Plata is less than Punta Cana, you can't beat Punta Cana's beach.
Lisa S
Mar 31st, 2005, 06:50 AM

Look into Akumal Beach Resort via Apple Vacations. About one hour south of Cancun in Mexico. Smaller AI, choice of specialty restaurants (buffet not bad either), great beach, snorkleing right off the beach, two minute walk on great beach, (did I mention great beach?) to Akumal. Very nice ocean view rooms with a wonderful patio looking onto the ocean. Cost should be about $1,000 each in November. Many things to do off property (ruins,snorkleing,shopping and clubs in Playa Del Carmen), if you're so inclined. Interesting mix of Italians,British,Germans,Canadians,and some Americans. Check Loco Gringo for some info on Akumal http://www.locogringo.com/akumal/ No marble lobby or overdone elegance, but a very nice,smaller barefoot beach resort. Locals very helpfull, no sales hawkers on the beach. Went with my wife in Sept., and had no problem booking specialty rest. every day. Not a great deal of night life at the resort, (nightly shows and cocktails), but you could head into Playa Del Carmen if it's too tame for you. Great value for your money, and not a Disney meets Vegas meets Spring Break location, as Cancun can be. However'if that's what you like, Cancun would be equally affordable, and more to your liking, although the surf and swimming conditions can be more unpredictable.
Mar 31st, 2005, 07:38 AM

Look at the Melia Turquesa in Cancun. We did it for about $1200 per person in mid January which is peak season - off season Nov should be less expensive. I'm a confirmed AI traveler and have been to several in Cancun and the Melia is the first one where I could honestly say I'd go back. Could also look at the TucanCun Beach - also in Cancun - my parents loved it.

The big advantage to Cancun is that there are lots of airfare options, lots of package deals with charter airfare, trip from airport to hotel zone is under an hour, and lots of tour companies handle Cancun which keeps prices lower. Apple Vacations, Funjet, or any of the airline websites [AA, NW, Delta] run package deals that combine air, hotel, and transfers and this is always the cheapest way to go, dependent on where you live and what airports you have access to. Don't go TOO cheap - you won't be happy. On any of these package site look for at least 3 stars or 3 apples or 3 sunbursts or whatever the rating system is.
Mar 31st, 2005, 09:12 AM

Take a look at Cuba, we went to the Cayo's and had a great time. Great white beaches, lots of excursions to do. Not quite as cheap as DR but must be the best value for money.
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:33 PM

Remember - US citizens cannot legally travel to Cuba so unless you are Canadian or European {as presumably UKTraveler} - Cuba is OUT.
Mar 31st, 2005, 01:58 PM

A little off topic but Westin's building a new resort in Punta Cana, www.starwoodhotels.com. I'd post URL, but it's too long. Take a look, it looks phenomenal. With that region attracting so many big-name, big-money celebrities, I wonder how much longer it will be the bargain of the Caribbean.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:41 AM
KVR

Cancun, MX, Cozumel, MX, Dominican Republic and Jamaica all come to mind. However, it depends on what hotel you choose. A 2* or 3* hotel will probably get you within your price range. We stayed at 3*'s in Mexico and they were fine. We spent our honeymoon in Cozumel and loved it.

The first part November is a good time as prices are still low and the hurricane season is basically over. We go somehwere the first week of Nov. every year due to the deals and low crowds. Look at FunJet.com. You can price out vacations, but I would contact a TA. I get better prices from my TA.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:54 PM

DR or Mexico will be your best bets for AI. We once stayed at Puerto Aventuras just south of PDC and its a pretty nice property that should meet your needs.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:43 PM

If you are traveling from a major airport you can get cheap tickets to Cancun, then head to Isla Mujeres. Lots of cheap rooms, cheap food. Great little island and great beaches. If you can find airfare for a decent price, this will end up being cheaper than a cheap all-inclusive and the food will be much, much better.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:47 PM

The cheapest place for you to go would probably be the Riviera Maya area of Mexico. Like other posters mentioned, you could get super inexpensive airfare. Places like the Riu Als and also, cabana style places like Ana y Jose in Tulum (anayjose.com) or Shangri-La Caribe are very affordable. Look on Tripadvisor for Tulum, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, and Cancun.

Some good travel booking sites for Mexico are applevacations.com, libertytravel.com, and locogringo.com (good pictures as well).
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:26 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with mah1980. you'll get the most for your money in the Mayan Riviera.
Definitely go to Locogringo and research the lodging. The people on their forum will give great advice. I started out going to Cancun this summer and ended up going to Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Akumal because of all the great info I got at that site!
Jun 26th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Sounds like DR is an option, what about a smaller place where there are not 400+ hotel rooms? Or in Mexico?
Jun 27th, 2005, 11:57 AM

nassau, bahamas. wyndham or nassau beach hotel very reasonable. don't do AI but wyndham has it avai, as does radisson cable beach and breezes. so many great places to eat around there and duty-free liquor stores....where are you going from? that might make a diff.