adult daughter and mother want culture, beaches and snorkeling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adult daughter and I want to experience some "caribean culture" and snorkeling in late February. We are not into the party scene and would like to go somewhere we can mingle with the residents, do some exploring and also kick back and sit on a beautiful beach. I have looked at Anguilla and Barbados as possible options....I have been to Puerto Rico and years ago visited Roatan Honduras before it went commerical (it was amazing then). Any suggestions for us?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 04:36 AM

We loved St. John - its beautiful, pretty quiet at night and the snorkeling is great.
We will be going to Costa Rica in March - which has a lot to do and is apparently a very unique destination.
I think Barbados looks beautiful too!
Hope you get lots of suggestions
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM

barbados and anguilla are comparable as far as beaches and water. in anguilla, if you rent a car, you can can really explore the island and beaches. very quiet, you can be on the beach all by yourself. barbados, a little busier and some traffic on the main road. you mentioned you've been to puerto rico already, but have you been to culebra? if you want culture and immerse yourself with residents, and incredible snorkeling, i highly suggest culebra. you cant fly into the island, but need to take a ferry. you can rent a car from san juan and drive the car onto the ferry.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 10:33 AM

i take that back. i think you can take a flight out to culebra. we were there 8 years ago, so things have changed.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:19 PM

You can fly Flamenco Air out of Isla Grande airport in San Juan (have to take a short taxi ride from San Juan International)to Culebra. It is only about a 20 minute flight if I remember correctly with great views. I agree that Culebra might be a good fit for what you say you want- not sure where you went in PR before but Culebra is very small, friendly, safe and beautiful. Look at www.islaculebra.com for some photos and information. When we went a couple of years ago it was in February and it was wonderful weather.