Activities in Nassau and Key West

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 06:16 PM
Dscott

Activities in Nassau and Key West

My wife and myself are cruising to Nassau and Key West the last week in August. We are curious what there will be to do while we are there. We want to make the best of our time and would like any ideas or suggestions.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 12:27 AM
Keely

For Key West, go to the web site sunsetcelebration.org, and by all means don't miss sunset at Mallory Square. It is a combination circus, parade, freak show, love & peace festival, flea market, cruising spot, and feast for the senses. <BR> <BR>Our main activity in Key West is just window shopping up and down Duval Street, and strolling into the little side streets for all the diversions. Breakfast at Pepe's is a tradition also. The waitresses there banded together and practically threw our husbands out when they both started getting calls on their cel phones. They accomplished what myself and my friend couldn't all week! That's where the fishermen have breakfast at dawn before going out on their day trips. <BR> <BR>In Nassau, spend a day on Paradise Island at Atlantis and strolling the lovely Cabbage Beach. There's plenty of shopping in Nassau but it's not as good as Key West. <BR> <BR>I'll stop with this for now, but if you'd like more info, including good places to eat, please feel free to e-mail me privately. We've spent all our vacations in both places for several years. Hope this info didn't come too late for you.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Robert

Ditto the above reco to tour Paradise Island and the Atlantis properties. The aquarium is millions of gallons and is full of pelagics and reef fish. If you really want an experience that will definately reveal you're in a different environ, call a local dive op and schedule a time to scuba dive or snorkel with them in the am or pm. I suggest Bahama Divers, because they are the oldest dive shop on New Providence Island(Nassau) and the dive masters go in with you. The Fish Hotel and Baracuda Shoals, for example, are in shallow water and are packed with beautiful soft and hard corals, reef fish, etc. I would book a tour before you go down there. I believe Bahama Divers has a toll freee number. Look them up under Yahoo search engine for more details. If you need more help, email me. Also, eat at the Poop Deck on Bay Street, past the Paradise Island Bridge. GREAT GROUPER dinners!! You'll have fun. Robert

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 10:09 AM
ohliz

In Key West, we always do a snorkeling trip either at sunset or during the day. The catamaran we take is, as I recall, the FURY. There are desks downtown where you can sign up. <BR> <BR>Window shop for sure, plenty of bars w/ live music, lots of neat little streets to wander around. Beaches are mediocre (I think they import their sand) but the water is beautiful. <BR> <BR Liz

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:10 PM
keysORbust

Liz,<BR><BR>how was the fury? i am going on a trip to the keys next month and the US fodors board said that it was packed with tons of people. Personally, I dont mind the "party" boats, but what did you think?<BR><BR>thanks jc