COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Absolute must have souvenirs from Bermuda

Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Absolute must have souvenirs from Bermuda

I'm taking a cruise, my first and it's a girls only , to Bermuda at the of the month and I'd love to know what I should take home with me, besides the shorts and the rum!
Thanks so much!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 09:26 AM

After living there for four years, my favorite treasures are 1) my tiny blown-glass tree frog from the Glass Factory in Dockyard 2) the sea glass we picked up off the beach in St. George's and 3) a jar of pink sand from the South Shore beaches.
There aren't a lot of purely "Bermudian" crafts, you might find some cedar carvings, but most of the old Bermuda cedar was killed off years and years ago, so no telling how genuine they may be. There are some yummy ginger sauces and preserves, and the Rum Cake Factory if you're looking for food gifts. As far as the shorts go, you might be surprised to find that they are actually a mens-wear, summer business-dress item!! You'll see men all over in shirts, ties, suit jackets and colorful shorts! (It takes some sexy knees to be able to pull that look off!)
Have a great trip!
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 09:49 AM

I always bring back a few of the Irish Linen tea towels, especially those which feature Bermuda's birds or flowers. Stop in at the Irish Linen Shop on Front St to see them. They go easily into a suitcase and never spill or leak!
I also love some small Bermuda Christmas ornaments I have bought at the Island Shop and at the Bermuda crafts market at Dockyard. There are some pretty charms or necklaces you can find with the longtail gull, the lighthouse, even a map of Bermuda. Crysson's has a nice quality selection reasonably priced. Years ago I came home with china and sweaters and perfume, but those days are pretty much gone. Know the prices of items you can buy in the States as frequently the only "savings" is there is no sales tax applied to your Bermuda purchases.

Have fun and come home weighted down with wonderful memories of the most beautiful place in the world!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much txgirlinbda! I read about the Glass Factory and had planned to make a stop! I'd love to find a tree frog for my nephew in addition to a few tchotchke's for myself. I can't wait to see the pink sand and will be sure to take some with me, perhaps in a glass jar from the factory? Being a fan of ginger, I'll definitely look for the sauces. A rum cake or two also!. Thanks for the heads-up on the shorts! Yikes! I certainly don't have the knees required!

cmcfong, I am a collector of linen tea towels and I was hoping that someone would mention it! I'll add the Irish Linen Shop to my list! I also make sure to select a Christmas ornament or two wherever I go, I love them! I will make sure to stop into Crysson's.

Again, thank you both very much for your suggestions! I am truly looking forward to this trip and am going to try and soak up as much of Bermuda as possible!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 05:59 AM

Forget a glass jar - bring a couple quart-sized freezer ziplocs from home for the sand - I brought it back with me and filled the bottoms of a pair of candle hurricanes, plus copied a few of the glass-ball Christmas ornaments that you'll see in the gift shops - just a glass ball with a little sand and a few tiny shells in the bottom, and some pink and gold ribbon tied around the top. (I got the glass balls at Michael's Crafts and made a half dozen ornaments for less than it would have cost me to buy ONE in Bermuda, plus I saved all that luggage space for RUM!!!)
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Great suggestions (and the right priorities) txgirlinbda!

Kay, plan to take some time for the Irish Linen Shop (just opposite the birdcage on Front Street). Most of their stock is way outside my budget range, but the tea towels are affordable and they are gorgeous. Several of my friends had theirs framed and hung in their kitchens....me, too lazy, I use mine and they bring back Bermuda memories every time I see them. And the Christmas ones are very pretty, too!

Have fun and be sure to post a trip report!