Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Abaco! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/abaco-44127/)

Danielle Bernabe May 11th, 1999 10:48 AM

Abaco!

I am interested in taking a vacation in August to Abaco. We are a young couple just looking to get away from the city life. I don't no where to stay. Any recommendations anyone?..Is August a good time to go?..What is there to do in Abaco?..I don't want to spend my whole savings..can anyone help me..

M GUIDRY May 11th, 1999 06:47 PM

The Abacos are the best, If you want a very private vacation then Hope Town is the place to go. Dinner is around $70.00 with drinks but worth every penny. Abaco inn is the best.Very private but the price is reasonable. Take a direct flight to Marsh Harbor and save the flight delays.

Derek Leaberry May 14th, 1999 06:28 AM

<BR>I visited the New Plymouth Inn on Green Turtle Cay, two miles off Big Abaco in January, 1995. My wife and I enjoyed the place very much though the Inn may be closed. Green Turtle has several other fine places to stay--they are posted on the Internet (try Abaco, Green Turtle Cay). The pace is slow on the island but the food and fun is good. A guide took my wife and I on a great bonefishing outing. Boats for your own excursions are readily available; you can boat over to your very own beach if you like. Half the people on the island are descendants of North Carolina loyalists from the American Revolution and they remain boaters. Place is great for conch fritters and conch chowder and Goombay Smashes.

Robert Morton Jun 11th, 1999 11:00 AM

Danielle; I've visited Abaco quite a bit. Try snorkeling with the dive shop on marsh harbor, I recommend Dive Abaco! They also SCUBA train, and a 3-day course there would certify you. Or, rent a car a travel the great abaco highway to the 20,000 acre parrot preserve in the southern section. The Conch Inn is very laid back, and the locals congregate there to relate the latest goings on. Robert <BR>

Ryan Apr 28th, 2000 03:23 PM

If it is up and running, stay at the Abaco Inn on Elbow. Not expensive Not Touristy, one of the best restaurants on site and on the same island as some fun but low key bars in Hope Town. Rental boats can't be out at night so this is a good place that willnot limit you and is not touristy. Before you get too excited, see if FLoyd has them out of running condition.

Bette Apr 30th, 2000 04:56 AM

Dear Danielle: Will let you know all about Abaco when we come back as we are leaving June 9th to stay on Great Guana Cay, 7 miles off the coast of Abaco (Guana Seaside Village). We will be there for 8 days and I do understaned that the beaches are magnificent, quiet, laid back, remote, etc., etc., etc. Upon our return, will post a trip report or if you wish, please e-mail me. Have fun! By the way, our hotel only has 8 rooms and we took the beachfront.....of course!