Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

A week in Virgin Gorda w/pool & ocean view for less than $5k??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe someone can tell me if my expectations are not realistic… This will be our first time to BVI. I am looking for a 3 br. villa in Virgin Gorda for a week in early July. I would like it to have a pool and ocean view. From what I have read, the the heat and humidity is harsh during July (?), so I am thinking a/c may be necessary… (Rosewood at Little Dix would be quite amazing if it weren't $1,500/night for 3 bedrooms)… My budget for the week is $4K, although I could stretch it to $5k-5.5K for one on beachfront. I have looked and looked and can't seem to find much. I found a Guavaberry villa in Whale Bay Estates without a/c for $3,700. It says that it's on a hill and has trade winds. How much of a hill? Winds enough to keep you from sweating at night? Any ideas, tips, or suggestions for other villas would be greatly appreciated? I will be traveling with kids ages 20, 18, and 7 and possibly a 63 yr old grandmother, so I'm hoping for something not too high on a hill to climb from the beach everyday. Frustration of the search is getting me! Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 12:35 PM

Did you check Mahoe Bay villas? Seems like they would be in your price range in low summer season.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, Jimmie! I just looked and there are a couple of possibilities there!
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 06:31 AM

We have not stayed in a villa there, but we visited the beach and it is sooo nice.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 08:48 AM

I would recommend Mahoe bay villas as well. We stayed there several years ago. The views and location is wonderful. There are several to choose from. We went there as a group so not certain they will be in your price range but certainly worth checking out. Even the ones not right on the beach are less than a couple minutes of walking from the beach.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mnag!!! I am looking at those as well as some VRBO villas at Mango Beach!
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 08:08 AM

Sherry - we stayed at Mango Bay Resort over NYE 2014, and it was perfect. http://mangobayresort.com/angularjs.site/app/#/rates
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_Islands.html

We rented the Garden View Villas - just a few steps and we were on the beach!

Gino was awesome - made sure that we had everything we needed. He also booked our rental car - a lady from the rental car company met us at the dock, and we followed her from the dock to the resort so it was a hassle-free arrival! On our departure date, we just left the car rental at the dock.

I was concerned about the mosquito reports on tripadvisor but it was never an issue. Never got bitten! We did bring mosquito repellent.

'Hope that helps!
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 08:09 AM

BTW, no pool at the resort but that was fine with us (we had our then 2 yo with us) since we had the ocean just a few steps from our villa!