Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   A tropical destination for relaxation and seclusion (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/a-tropical-destination-for-relaxation-and-seclusion-242019/)

beachlovers Jul 22nd, 2002 08:14 AM

A tropical destination for relaxation and seclusion

Looking for a destination to get to from Detroit. A non stop flight or no more than 2 flights to get to the destination.<BR><BR>Can anyone suggest a location for relaxation and seclusion. We do not need alot of activity. We are just looking forward to getting away and relaxing.<BR><BR>We've been to Aruba 4 times and stayed at the Marriott.<BR><BR>Please suggest <BR><BR>1) a luxury accomodation (or as close to luxury as you can get in the caribbean)<BR><BR>2) a caribbean destination that is easy to get to from Detroit. We don't want to have to go on planes more than 2 times.

anonymous Jul 22nd, 2002 08:27 AM

Sweetheart you have stayed at the MARIOTT for crying out loud and you ask for " luxury accomodation (or as close to luxury as you can get in the caribbean)", hello Mariott isn't what anyone would consider luxury!<BR><BR>How about Curtain Bluff,Cap Julaca, Jumby Bay to name a few?<BR><BR>

beachlovers Jul 22nd, 2002 08:30 AM

Anonymous-<BR>Did I once mentioned that the Marriott is luxury? I said we stayed there four times and did enjoy it.<BR><BR>I said I was looking for a luxury accomodation.<BR><BR>Before you get wacko crazy, why don't you read the question first.<BR><BR>I certainly won't take advice from you.

anonymous Jul 22nd, 2002 08:38 AM

When you write your posts don't be vague..you mentioned Mariott then Luxury resorts, how am I to know that YOU don't consider Mariott luxury if that's all you been to? You could have just left out Mariott, said you have been to Aruba and I would not have thought that you put Mariott there as a yardstick for comparison!

beachlover Jul 22nd, 2002 08:48 AM

Well, I thought the Marriott was nice, not luxury, but the caribbean isn't particularly known for luxury (as far as I am concerned).<BR><BR>I just get frustrated with people knocking down questions.

twinklettoes Jul 22nd, 2002 08:55 AM

hello! a blanket statement that the caribbean isn't known for luxury makes me think you mixed the islands up with Aruba. Don't take anonymous' choices and you are ignoring some of the most luxurious in the Caribbean which do complete or exceed with many world wide. <BR>Good luck in your search

stephanie Jul 22nd, 2002 09:39 AM

Hi beachlover!<BR>I have friends who live in the Detroit area and they stayed at the Royal Hideaway Resort & Spa in the Playa Del Carmen area. They said it was very luxurious and the service was top notch as well as the spa. <BR>Hope this helps!!<BR>

Kelly Jul 22nd, 2002 09:48 AM

Beachlovers,<BR><BR>You should try Turks and Caicos. My husband and I just honeymooned on Provo in June and it was wonderful. There is not a lot of action, but the beach and water are the best you'll find. Very calm and tranquil. We stayed at the Sands, but I would not consider that luxurious. It was very nice, but I don't have any other caribbean resorts to compare it to, so I wouldn't want to say it is luxurious, if it isn't. I've heard that Coral Gardens, Point Grace, or Grace Bay Club might be more luxurious (definitely would think so for the money you need to spend.) Any questions about Provo you have, feel free to ask me.

coconuts Jul 22nd, 2002 03:43 PM

Hi,<BR>If you want luxury, take a look at some of the Caribbean properties at LuxuryLink.com. There are many deluxe properties on the islands.<BR>The site may give you some ideas.<BR><BR>

Chris Jul 22nd, 2002 04:49 PM

The Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen is owned by Allegro Resorts and is their top "luxury accomodation" but can't compete with true luxury places like Jumby Bay, Cap Juluca, Point Grace, Biras Creek, Little Dix Bay, CuisinArt, Covecastles, Strawberry Hill, Mallouianna, etc. <BR>Aruba has no luxury accomodations in my book.

Nancy Jul 22nd, 2002 05:00 PM

"Beachlovers," I think you accidentally struck a chord with those of us who know the Caribbean well. <BR>Some Caribbean islands have luxury the likes of which can be found in only a few places in the world. It's apparent you did not know this, and I'm sure you did not mean to offend!<BR>Some of the other posters named some places which are well-reknowned for their luxeness. Coconuts and Chris named some very good ones. <BR>If you're interested, we'll hook you up with Necker Island in the BVI's at $36,000.00 per day.<BR>

Chris Jul 22nd, 2002 05:04 PM

Nancy,<BR>We were at Little Dix in May and we boated by Necker Island. It looks like paradise and I can only imagine how impressive it truly is.<BR>Please let Richard B. know I'm available.<BR>I've actually been to Musha Cay and hear that Necker is much better.<BR>

Mary Jul 23rd, 2002 02:25 AM

Cap Juluca in Anguilla -- world class luxury resort plus Detroit to Philly or JFK & nonstop to St. Martin (USAirways). You're a 20 minute ferry ride away after that.

Lori Jul 23rd, 2002 10:57 AM

Beachlovers,<BR><BR>Just got back from the Turks and Caicos this past Sunday. I have never seen beaches so deserted( in a good way). The nicest place on the island in Provo is the Grace bay club. If you really want seclusion and are not afraid of paying for it, visit Parrot Cay. It is on a private island just north of Provo!<BR><BR>Have fun!

Madison Jul 23rd, 2002 01:09 PM

Cuisinart Resort and Spa in Anguilla<BR><BR>check out the website<BR><BR>cuisinartresort.com<BR><BR>Was there for honeymoon - was wonderful