Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   A Place Similar to Caneel Bay Please? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/a-place-similar-to-caneel-bay-please-565533/)

WTexan Oct 19th, 2005 07:54 AM

A Place Similar to Caneel Bay Please?

I love Caneel Bay and have visited Little Dix. I want to go somethere different, but with the tropical, quiet, atmosphere. After reading this forum, it seems Jumby Bay does not have a great beach or snorkeling, Carlisle is second choice to Jumby, food is no good on little Dix. Raffles has terrible service,Peter Island looks dated in the photos and I didn't like their web site. I am now considering:

Cap Juluca (even though I didn't think their rooms looked very nice on their web site)

Ocean Club, Bahamas

Pink Sands, Harbor Island

I also want a private beach.

If I loved Caneel (I stayed in the best rooms, but service was not good) which would you recommend and why?

Thanks.

faithie Oct 19th, 2005 08:38 AM

Guana Island ...??

xkenx Oct 19th, 2005 09:08 AM

Peter Island gets pretty good reviews.
Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios has the atmosphere, although snorkeling may be questionable. Coral Reef Club on Barbados is exceptional, all low-rise or cottage style, family-run, gorgeous grounds, top rate food, snorkeling. See www.tripadvisor.com for reviews. Both are top rated for their islands.

penny Oct 19th, 2005 09:16 AM

I have stayed at Caneel, nice quiet atmosphere----all except the dining.
I loved Scott Beach, then stayed in Cottage 7 a few times. Snorkeling is wonderful. I do not know where you got the idea that Jumby does not have a great beach---its wider than Scott, very very calm, really a very nice beach.

Cap Juluca's rooms are very comfortable,
have a stark Moroccan feel about them.
Great bathrooms--lots of great dining options all over Anguilla.

I agree Caneel's service is lacking-
go with Cap Juluca, Jumby or check out Malliouhana. Their junior suites are lovely, perched above a private little cove called Turtle Cove, plus you have access to Mead's Bay.

A_Traveller Oct 19th, 2005 09:45 AM

From your post it seems you have very descriminating tastes & desires (not a bad thing). If that's true check out Sandy Lane on Barbados, K-Club on Barbuda (a great place if you can afford the price tag) or Four seasons on Exuma.

WTexan Oct 19th, 2005 12:57 PM

Thanks to all. I will check out all your suggestions. Penny, I stayed in cottage 7 the last two times at Caneel, so you will know exactly what I like. I think it was on trip advisor, but maybe fodors that some rated Jumby's beach a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Glad to hear you think it IS a nice beach.

RonUSVI Oct 19th, 2005 03:33 PM

Have you looked at Carambola on St Croix? Nice and secluded, once a Rock Resort, same as Caneel and Little Dix.

RL

WaywardSeal Oct 19th, 2005 06:03 PM

WTexan:
I'm not sure about Peter Island being dated. The Ocean View rooms might of given you that impression, as they're the original or first rooms built. The beachfront rooms are beautifully appointed, much nicer then Caneel.
The food is tremendous as well.

caribedon Oct 19th, 2005 07:25 PM

Hello WTexan! If you are considering Anguilla and that is a a great choice, let me HIGHLY recommend the MADEARIMAN BEACH CLUB to you. It is a beautiful resort with beautiuful rooms right on Shoal Bay East which is my favorite beach on Anguilla. The Madeariman has a great beach bar and plenty of activities and it will save you a lot of money staying in Anguilla. Go to www.madeariman.com to look at it.They have good food too.

Carola22 Oct 19th, 2005 11:59 PM

Madeariman is nice, but it's definitely NOT a 'Caneel-type' place - it's a very friendly, rather basic, family-type place on one of Anguilla's liveliest beaches, Shoal Bay East. Very nice, but not what this poster is looking for, I think!
I would go with Penny's advice, which is always excellent!

blamona Oct 20th, 2005 04:06 AM

Also try Parrot Cay. While no beach in the Caribbean is private, some are harder to reach because of the resorts located there. Parrot Cay is on it's own Cay. This one will have the best snorkeling, and the most gorgeous water.
Pink Sands is beautiful,upscale, but very laid back. They are individual bungalos, most are not beach front. The beach there is gorgeous, and the town is the prettiest town you will ever see, white picket fences with colorful flowers, shutters colored in caribbean colors. You get around in a golf cart, and can take day trips to Eleuthera. The beach is public (really they all are) but it's never crowded.
Peter Island is alot nicer than the pictures lead you to believe. It is gorgeous. BUT, you do get day trippers from Tortola on the main beach and beach restaurant. There is another beach to hang out in, but someone has to take you by car, and it's not as pretty as the main beach.
Cap Jaluca is probably what you are looking for, gorgeous beach, hard to reach from people not staying at Cap. Some of the best restaurants in the Caribbean are on Anguilla.
I was at Jumby Bay before the new ownership. The beach is very pretty, the service okay. For some reason, it's not my favorite of the above mentioned.
Ocean Club is Gorgeous, service is terrific, but it's on a more crowded beach, it shares it's beach with all the other resorts on Paradise Island.
I was at Raffles when it belonged to Rosewood, (it was called the Caranage) and service was fine. Can't comment on the new owners.
The most private beach will be Parrot Cay, followed by Cap Jaluca. The best snorkeling will be Parrot Cay. The best food will be Cap Jaluca.
All the above mentioned except for Peter Island are flat scrubby dry islands, not mountain looking like St. John's. What makes up for them, are the beaches and the water will amaze you!

BillU Oct 20th, 2005 05:30 AM

Given the comments on some of these resorts, I am curious as to your opinions on Galley Bay in Antigua. We considered staying there a few years ago (before a cruise snagged us in a different direction), and I keep looking for excuses to get down there. I heard it is the best on Antigua. Am I wrong?

A_Traveller Oct 20th, 2005 06:24 AM

Galley Bay is a very nice resort but it is not "the best on Antigua". The rooms are comfortable and the bathrooms are large but nither is anything special. The beach is nice but the water can be a bit "wavy" at certain times of the year due to the northern exposure. The food is good but not necessarily great. All in all Galley Bay is better than most resorts on Antigua but not as good, in my opinion, as Curtain Bluff or Carlisle Bay and perhaps Jumby Bay.

WTexan Oct 23rd, 2005 01:06 PM

Thanks for all that great info! Now, I am thinking of Cap Juluca as #1, Also considering Parrot Cay and Peter Island.

We are meeting some friends, not from US, and they requested a private beach because they don't want to be approached by beggars on the beach. Does this happen at any of these places?

Does Cap Juluca have turquoise water? Does it have a bungalow feel to it? I eliminated Nevis because I read that it does not have turquoise water and that is very important to me.

After comments, I have re-sorted my preferences.

I like Peter Island because they offer an array of boating and I enjoy chartering a sail for the day. Do you know if this is offered at Cap Juluca or if it is fairly easy to arrange? I wasn't sure after viewing their web site.

I like Parrot Cay because it seems the water is better there. Is it? and because I like to snorkel daily.

I have eliminated the Ocean Club because I hate crowded beaches and not quite sure why I eliminated Pink Sands except it sounds like the bungalows are a ways from the beach. I also like to have some services on the beach if possible, like beach towels and chairs.

If I go to Parrot Cay, I would probably not island hop. If I go to Peter Island, I might combine it with a couple of days at Caneel Bay for snorkeling. If I go to Cap Juluca, should I combine it with a stay at Milliouhana? Penny, is it worth moving from Cap Juluca? Malliouhana looks to be very nice too.

Can anyone recommend a room number, location, type of room, or floor at any of these three?

I appreciate the help. I am looking to make reservations next week for February.

Thanks again,

WT

blamona Oct 23rd, 2005 02:29 PM

The beach at Cap is gorgeous.
No one bugs you at either Cap or Parrot Cay.
The snorkeling is better at Parrot Cay.
No sailing in Anguilla or Turks and Caicos, but you can take boat trips to snorkel and to completely private drop off beaches. they also have Catamaran boat trips.
Anguilla and Turks and Caicos are flat dry scrubby islands, with blinding white sand and every shade of blue and green water, like a giant swimming pool. Long stretches of beaches, not a bad resort to stay in. Snorkeling in Anguilla is just okay.
Peter Island is hilly and scenic. More crowds on the beach as they allow day trippers, but beautiful beach nevertheless. Good snorkeling on Peter Island. PI is completely different from CJ and PC. Peter Island, easy sailing between islands. (Don't miss Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, or St. John.)
Peter island and Parrot Cay own their islands, so no other resorts or restaurants to compete with.
Anguilla has the best restaurants in the Caribbean.

WTexan Oct 23rd, 2005 03:24 PM

Blamona, I am confused about no sailing. You can't charter a sail with a crew in Anguilla? Is it too windy or what? How hard would it be to stay at Peter Island and CJ on Anguilla. Could I charter a boat at Peter Island and be in Anguilla in 2 days. Any other recommendations to stay at both. Flights between the two islands? I am leaning toward CJ, but believe PI and PC are probably more like Caneel and Little Dix, so I might like them better.

Thanks, WT

blamona Oct 23rd, 2005 03:51 PM

PI is more like Caneel and Little Dix.
My opinion is Anguilla is not very good sailing grounds, other than a day trip to a cay for snorkeling. As soon as you leave the beach areas the water tends to be rough. PI is perfect for sailing, as you sail in between rows of islands. From PI, you can see 10 other islands. Anguilla is more open water. I've never seen a huge amount of sailboats there.
Hard to fly between the 2, you would have to back track to either San Juan, or St. Martin. From St. Martin you can take the 20 minute ferry over to Anguilla. Ex: PI ferry to Tortola. Tortola fly to San Juan. San Juan fly to either Anguilla or St. Martin. St. Martin ferry to Anguilla. Flights to Anguilla are limited, St. Martin is more of a hub. If flying to Anguilla, you'd might have to spend night at a hub. LIAT may have flights from Tortolla to St. Martin, might be the easiest.
Personally, 2 hard islands to combine.
The beaches in Anguilla are spectacular, but the island is not lush or tropical. Anguilla is an extremely quiet island.
the water in Anguilla is very turqouise.

WTexan Oct 23rd, 2005 04:00 PM

Thanks Blamona. The water is very important to me. I am going back and forth now between CJ in Anguilla and PI. I like the sailing PI offers, but it sounds like the dining in Anguilla is wonderful. How is the food at Peter Island? Thanks for the info re: trying to do both. I would have wasted a lot of time. I will have to choose.

blamona Oct 23rd, 2005 04:38 PM

food far superior (and more expensive) in Anguilla.
If you like the idea of hopping around, (sorry without a sailboat) easy access to St. Martin and St. Barths for the day. Completely different islands from each other.
Not many choices at Peter Island to eat, as the resort owns and takes up the whole island.

WTexan Oct 23rd, 2005 04:52 PM

Thanks again.