Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

A Little bit of Honeymoon here and some More over Where??

Old May 20th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are getting married on the day of the mayan apocalypsis 21-12-2012 and we'd like to visit perú and go to macchu picchu etc , if we survive we have aprox. 2 or 3 weeks in all. we would be flying in from ft. lauderdale or miami.

after the wedding + spending xmas + new years's with our families, i'd love to chill out, and get some R&R for a few days before departing for perú.
either in the west coast of florida, st lucia, which i've never been to, or barbados where i used to spend the happiest summers of my life, before departing for "the adventure in the sacred valley", so please pitch in... tell me i'm overly optimistic or that there are no connections, or ??? that i'm very wise.

a) st. lucia or barbados for 4 days?
b) naples, marco island, ana maría island , sanible , captiva?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:23 AM

To me, this looks a bit like a logistical headache. You're essentially looking at two separate trips. I doubt you'd be able to find flights to Peru from any of the islands, which is going to almost surely necessitate returning to Miami, or another major hub airport. The clothes and gear you'll need for Peru are going to be different to what you'll want for a tropical break. And after all the excitement of a wedding and the holidays, that doesn't sound like R&R to me. But if you're set on something like that, I'd plan your Peru trip FIRST, then see what you can work in before that. And Inca Trail permits are sold out well in to Sept already, so I'd get working on that asap, too. Congrats on your wedding!!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

many thanks txgirlinbda... you are right.
the good thing is that perú is in low season after new year's. and we will plan on it first as you suggest.we won't do the inca way 'cause it's the wet season but will do ollantaytambo, cusco, SV and maybe even choquequirao.

but, if we take a few days off, say new year's eve and january 1st/ 2nd, say in the florida west coast instead of the caribbean, firstly we won't have to fight off hordes of people coming to and fro from the holidays, and as we have to drive back towards miami to catch our plane, we can drop off our new year's beach break bag, and pick up our mountain adventure duffels and go. what do you think?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:14 PM

I think if you've got Peru sorted out, you live in the area and have a car, and doing a bag change isn't a big deal - go for it. I'd personally be inclined to do the big trip while I was still on an excitement-high, and then chill and relax on my return before I had to return to the real world, but you know you best.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

sounds better yet thanks...
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 05:57 AM

I have visited all the FL destinations more than once except Ann Marie Island. This may sould cruel but I find Naples and Marco Island boring except when there is a festivaland though there are a lot of restaurants with high price tags I have not found too many good ones. On the otherhand Cativa and Sanibal are among my favoruite places for tropical environments on the US mainland. The issue here is crowds on narrow roads but the accommodations if you select the "right" one can be lovely and we found 5-6 good places to eat though the prices were not inexpensive. But if you want quite between the US locations then Naples/Marco may be better.