Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   A few questions: Braco vs. Couples Negril (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/a-few-questions-braco-vs-couples-negril-271258/)

Beverly Smith Nov 6th, 2002 05:52 AM

A few questions: Braco vs. Couples Negril

I have a choice between these Grand Lido Braco and Couples Negril for a 5-day vacation next month (December). We are a middle-aged couple--love people and fun but love time alone as well, married only 2 years. I know pretty much what each resort is all about, but I have some specific questions:<BR>1) Which ride from the airport is less painful?<BR>2) Where is the snorkeling better?<BR>3) I keep hearing that Couples may have a slight edge because of excursions being included. At Couples Negril, what would these excursions be? What excursions would we have to pay extra for at Grand Lido Braco?<BR>Thanks

stephanie Nov 6th, 2002 10:08 AM

Both resorts are very nice despite the difference in location. Couples Negril is a very nice, laid back resort. Grand Lido Braco is very unique in its design. The property resembles a Jamaican village and they have a street party on Friday night that is incredible. The service is much better at Grand Lido.

Greenie Nov 6th, 2002 11:49 AM

I havent been to Couples, but I was at Braco this July. I absolutely loved the resort except for the beach...it's very rocky. Everything else was top notch.

jen Nov 6th, 2002 12:49 PM

Hi Beverly - <BR><BR>We have been to both GLB and CN so to answer your questions:<BR><BR>1. Neither ride from the Montego Bay airport is painful. Couples Negril is just over an hour with the new road to Negril. Trelawny is about 45 minutes from Montego Bay airport.<BR><BR>2. You can snorkel right off the beach at GLB - or go out in the boat. We also enjoyed the snorkeling at Couples Negril - several times a day a boat goes out to different locations. <BR><BR>3. The resorts are very different in different areas. The beach at GLB is nice but a little rocky - and quite windy (our experience). The beach at Couples Negril (Bloody Bay) is very nice, calm and the water is fantastic. As far as excursions, Couples Negril has a catamaran cruise to the cliffs (very fun) and a few other extras like a trip to Rick's Cafe and shopping to Negril. I believe Couples Negril also includes SCUBA diving and GLB charges extra if you choose to do this.<BR><BR>Couples Negril is a little quieter and we felt more relaxing. GLB has more activity within the Jamaican Village and activity at night - a street party one of the nights we were there. There is also opportunity to shop in Ocho Rios - which is fairly close.<BR><BR>We felt the service at GLB may have been slightly better, the food was about the same, same activity offering except for SCUBA and overall it is a difficult choice. We prefer Negril because of the beach and the location on Bloody Bay. We also paid more for GLB.<BR><BR>Best of luck.<BR><BR>

Mary Nov 6th, 2002 05:55 PM

We have a trip planned for Couples Negril in early January. This will be our first trip to Couples. We have been to Braco several times and like it very much. We found Couples to be less expensive and really enjoy the Negril Beach. I'm sure it will depend on the group there at the time. I can tell you there is no extra charge for diving at Braco. My husband does it every day. A few years ago when we were in Negril we did the excursion to the Pickled Parrot and if I recall we paid approx $50 a person. I'm very pleased to hear that is included at Couples. It was very fun! We never leave the resort when we are at Braco but the things you would pay for would be things like Dunns River Falls, shopping Ocho Rios, etc. Good luck with your decision.

beverly Nov 6th, 2002 05:58 PM

Jen: Two questions:<BR><BR>1) What time of year were you at Braco (I'm wondering if it's windy all year round), and<BR>2) When you say the beach is rocky, do you mean boulders the surf crashes into or do you mean big stones that cut your feet?<BR><BR>Thanks much!

Jen Nov 6th, 2002 07:25 PM

Hi Beverly,<BR><BR>To answer your questions:<BR><BR>1. We were at Braco in March and we found it windy. It certainly didn't matter to us - but it may to some. The beach in Negril was calm and the water calm.<BR><BR>2. The bottom is a bit rocky as you walk in the water. Just have to watch where you step. Bottom in Negril was sandy and beach was great.<BR><BR>One more thing - if you are a golfer, Braco has a 9 hole course on property - heard it was so-so. <BR><BR>Re: the post above. the trip to the cliffs - or pickled parrot is an excursion at CN and included in the package. As Mary above mentioned, offsites to Dunn's River Falls and other excursions have a surcharge. I am not sure about shopping to Ocho Rios - but we have stayed at Couples Swept Away in Negril and a 2 hour shopping trip to Negril was included in the package.<BR><BR>

liz Nov 11th, 2002 09:56 AM

We stayed at Couples negril a few years ago. Beach is beautiful, sandy bottom and calm. Very quiet and relaxing. Beautiful.

Angela Dec 8th, 2002 09:16 AM

We just returned from Couples in Negril yesterday. I cannot say enough fantastic things about this resort. There are so many excursions here, the Catamaran Cruise (at sunset, so romantic), shopping trip to Negril, kayaking, paddle boats, hobie crafts, water aerobics, the beach party, and on and on....It is a relaxing place, not TOO much partying, and everything is well-maintained. The people on this resort work very hard on everything from start to finish. I haven't been to Grand Lido Braco, but I can tell you Couples Negril was heaven on earth, any questions plese feel free to ask me! You will have a great trip regardless!