Reload this Page >

A few questions about Puerto Rico?!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Debbie

Thinking of going to Vieques Island off Puerto Rico and need to know a few things: First,do most people speak English? Will I have problems communicating with the taxi driver?<BR>Is the airport really busy? Is there anything I should know before I go?<BR>Any precautions or advice for someone who has never been? I want to get from the airport to the ferry<BR>in Fajardo without too much hassel.<BR>Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Debbie

Puerto Rico is very nice place to go. <BR>Viegues is also great. There is alot of political issues on Vieques now with the Navy. The navy does bomb exercises there. The locals want it to stop. Because of the war the suspended future bombings for the next few months. Hopefully for good.<BR><BR>Everyone speaks english or close to it. It is about 45min drive to Fajardo but most of the way is straight. Could be traffic during rush hour. Surburn sprawl is there too. The rain forest is on the way there too. A must see. You should see about Culebra as well. Puerto Rico has a lot to offer. It you can get a hold of Puerto Rico tourist guide "Que Pasa"<BR>It has all the information you need. Look for Puerto Rico Tourist Board web site. Good Luck and enjoy

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Debbie

Hi Andre,Thanks for the info.I'm a little nervous when I go somewhere for the first time and like to be prepared.I don't like suprises....<BR>Your info will help alot.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Debbie! I love Vieques! i hope that you post a report on the Navy situation when you get back. Don't forget to go to Blue Beach, Gringo Beach, Green beach, and my favorite Red beach (yes, the Navy named the beaches, therefore, the silly names). And don't forget to do the Biolumniscent Bay night tour. Totally amazing!<BR><BR>Most people in PR speak some English, so language shouldn't be a problem.<BR><BR>The San Juan airport is pretty busy, but it's not too bad - you just walk outside baggage claim, and there are immediately taxis there. How are you getting from the airport to the ferry in Fajardo? Are you planning to take a taxi to Fajardo? <BR><BR>Here's a good web page that explains different options for getting to Vieques:<BR>http://www.elenas-vieques.com/ferry.html<BR><BR>Pay particular attention to the option of pre-reserving a taxi, because I think if you arrive at the airport and go to the taxi stand there it might cost more (it is a 1-hour ride from SJU to Fajardo, depending on traffic, it can be longer).

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Mariarosa

Here's another website:<BR>http://www.vieques-island.com/geninfo.html<BR><BR>Forgot to mention that traffic from SJU to fajardo won't be too bad, unless you're going between 4:00 - 6:30 PM.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Debbie

Hi Mariarosa,Thanks for the websites.I think I'm going to hire<BR>a taxi ahead of time.It's $50 from<BR>the San Juan Airport to the Ferry <BR>Terminal.I'll feel a little more at ease knowing someone will be waiting for me at the airport.I also wrote down the ferry schedule to and from<BR>Vieques.As far as accommodations go<BR>I was looking at the Water's Edge<BR>Villa,the La Escapada Villa,and the<BR>La Casita del Amor Villa.The first two have private pools and the last one is Beach Front.I was also looking at Bananas in Esperanza but<BR>I wasn't sure if I wanted to be in the middle of all the action?!! Where do you usually stay? If you don't mind me asking? I do want to rent a car too. Can you suggest a <BR>good place with reasonable prices?<BR>Thanks for all your help! Great<BR>Websites too!

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 06:25 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Debbie! I've only stayed overnight in Vieques twice. The first time I stayed at a really awful hotel next to the ferry. I can't remember the name, but it isn't any of the ones you are mentioning (something like Water View or Ocean View??). <BR><BR>The second time I at Sea Gate. They have two one-bedrooms in three floors. We were with another couple and the lady (from California) put us in the highest floor. It was great, because we had the whole floor for us: two one-bedrooms (each with a kitchenette) and a big covered patio with picnic tables and hamocks. It was very cheap too about $50 per night per couple. It was very simple, nothing fancy, and we definitely needed a car because it was on the middle of the island, not on the "town" of Esperanza, which is where the few restaurants are located. The place was a bit crazy - the woman took car of stray dogs, but it attracted interesting travelers. We brought a guy from Japan with us in our search for the biolumniscent bay. It was a lot of fun.<BR><BR>Please write a report of where you stayed when you get back.