A couple days in San Juan…

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple days in San Juan…

Pre-cruise, we are getting into San Juan Friday afternoon and sailing out on Sunday. Looking for ideas on what to do….

We are staying at the Marriott Courtyard and I don’t want to rent a car for the entire time, thinking we will need one for Saturday. Cabs should be cheaper than parking.

Looking for a recommendation on nightlife for Friday night. Something close, fun, safe and has a local feel.

Saturday we are looking to get the feel of the island. Not too interested in tromping around the rain forest in the 90degree heat. Been to Arecido [yawn and I am a tech guy] and Cumay [loved it but wouldn’t make the trip back], we will see plenty of beaches on the cruise.

More interested in local festivals, flea markets, someplace where we can meet and mingle with the folks who live there. Last trip I loved it, would even consider moving there, so would like to get more of a feel for the place.

Ideas? Defiantly will mix in a walking tour in Old San Juan, this would take some of the time… what else?

Sunday morning looking for a good place to have breakfast and people watch before we head over to the ship.

Thanks to all…

Steve
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM

the lobby of the El san juan turns into a very fun and festive dance club at night. that might be a good choice for you on friday night. Alot of locals go there- the people are usually dressed to the nines and gorgeous. Very fun.

our favorite restaurant in PR is Pikayo, but that is definitely high end and elegant-- not a nightlife place.

I like walking around old san juan during teh dinner hours-- very upbeat and fun.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM

The bus system in San Juan is great and very reasonable. The also have a rail system. We took the bus to the end of the rail and road the rail back to the Condado area.

Old San Juan has a free tourist trolly that only circles Old San Juan and you can hop off and on.

Across from the Marriott is a grocery store for some hotel room snacks.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Guavate is a good place to go on a weekend if you would like to sample the local Roast Pig. You would need a car to get there, but the town is pretty livley with small roadside restaurants and there should be local music too.

Other option would be a Bio bay tour. Either do the Fajardo Bio Bay (usual in kayaks, but no swimming) or take an evening sail over to Vieques for the Bio bay there (this one you can swim in), just make sure that the moon phase is good 9most tour operators will not go out if the moon phase is not right).

Kayaking Puerto Rico do the Fajardo Bio Bay (there are others too, just google it)
East Wind Catermeran does the Vieques cruise (dinner included).

More ideas at my travel site www.visit-the-coqui.com
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 04:46 AM

When we were there last month we took both of the FREE buses just to see San Juan. We got the buses right across from the pier and rode the whole route. You can get off in Old San Juan and explore there, get off the bus in Pigeon Square. Never seen so many pigeons in one place and you will find local people there. It was so good to be there again in the day and not arrive at 5PM!
If you haven't been to El Moro, go there!!! It is the fort you pass on the left as you come into San Juan. It was built in the 1500's and is fascinating to explore. There is another fort, think its St. Christobal(???), that is also interesting but not as old.
Know what you mean about the rain forest - unless you live in a CITY, who wants to look at green growing stuff and climb a short lighthouse!
Sure they can tell you at your hotel where to get the buses. Have fun!
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 08:18 AM

If you really want some local color, I would suggest spending Friday night at the Plaza Del Mercado in Santurce (it's not too far from your hotel, take a cab). Very lively, mainly local crowd dining, dancing and drinking, LOTS of fun! My favorite restaurant there is a tiny seafood place called Tasca del Pescador, excellent fresh seafood!

Also, I must say that if you're into nature, hiking or waterfalls at all, don't miss El Yunque! Next to El Morro and OSJ it is the gem of PR and the only tropical rainforest in the US Forest System. Oh, and it's rarely ever 90 degrees there... In fact, the temperature can drop as much as 10 - 20 degrees as you go up the mountain. If you decide to do this, rent a car and do it on your own, just stop at El Portal Visitor's Center and pick up a trail map. When you're done, you can hit up the Luquillo Kioskos for more of that local flavor or take route 187 (coastal road) back to San Juan and stop in Pinones. Have a great trip!