A clean,luxury resort for 2 in Jamaica?

Old May 29th, 1997, 05:32 AM
Marvin Jackson

A clean,luxury resort for 2 in Jamaica?

I am looking for a clean, luxury resort in Jamaica for a honeymoon in late July. My fiance is very meticulous. I prefer a newer property, but it does not matter if its nice. Small is ok too. Also, how is Air Jamaica vs. American?

Old May 30th, 1997, 08:14 AM
Jean E. Bowers

There are several nice resorts in Jamaica. Cibony, Swept Away or the Grand Lido. The two latter are in Negril and Cibony is in Ochos Rios (probably not correct spelling). There is not much good to say about Ochos Rios and alot of people don't leave the hotel grounds. Negril is very people friendly and it is easy to get around. Negril has one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. If you are not firm about going to Jamaica there are many islands that have more to offer. In Jamaica there are many homes for rent. It is low season and you could do very well dollar wise. Pull up Intermational Hideaways on-line. Most come with cook, maid, pool and some with a car. Best of luck!

Old May 31st, 1997, 03:08 PM
eileen lewis

My husband & I spent our honeymoon last June at the Ciboney resort in Ocho Rios. I have to agree with the other person in that there are many other places in the Caribbean I would go. It's dangerous to go outside your resort area, and we found armed guards with dogs patrolling ours behind the brush. While the resort itself was pretty nice,(I too am very picky) you had to catch a bus & cross a busy highway to get to the small beach. Poverty is rampant, & the neatly dressed resort workers go home to virtual shacks.Also, We were constantly harassed about buying dope. At first we found it amusing until it continued on a daily basis, no matter where we went! If you still decide on Jamaica, I would try the Half-Moon Club/Resort or the new "cool" resort owned by Chris Blackwell (owner of Island records). I forget the name of it, but believe it's either in Negril or Montego Bay. An agent would know. Most of the mega resorts like Sandals & Ciboney offer good packages, but we felt like honeymoon "cattle"! I wouldn't do it again, although others we met thought they were great- I guess it just depends on your taste! Have you considered the Four Seasons Resort on the Island of Nevis? They had good packages for newlyweds as of last summer, and has a very good reputation for being right by the water and luxurious.
Wherever you decide, good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Old Jun 4th, 1997, 11:59 AM
Cassie

I would second the idea of Negril if you have your heart set on Jamaica. Lots of choices, dependent on your wishes. Grand Lido is very upscale but would certainly be wonderful. Swept Away emphasizes water sports and is limited to couples only. Sandals Negril would be laid-back, casual, couples only, and clean. Hedonism II is wild and woolly, catering to adults only (lots of singles) with a disco that goes till 5 AM, suggestive bar games, and probably not the most romatic honeymoon unless you really like action. All the resorts in Negril have nude beaches so keep that in mind when you plan. All 4 of these are all-inclusive (room, meals, DRINKS, watersports) and all are well-managed altho Grand Lido is clearly the most luxurious. Most moderate priced resorts have rooms that are serviceable-clean, working showers and AC, but don't expect lots of frills. You're supposed to be on the beach, not in your room. I've stayed at Hedonism many times and found it safe as long as you're not dumb.

Old Jun 9th, 1997, 08:21 AM
Lara

I've flown Air Jamaica twice: once to Montego Bay and once to Nassau. The planes are not exactly new, but they're OK and don't seem unsafe. The coach seats are smaller than American's, but not as small as the ones on, say, ATA. Food is good on Air Jamaica and the complimentary champagne is a nice plus.

We live in Chicago, so Air Jamaica has direct flights to the Caribbean and is about half the cost of American. So considering that, I would definitely fly Air Jamaica again.

One other thought: Flights to Jamaica can be really LOUD and ROWDY. If you want a little more quiet, fly first class on Air Jamaica. It's worth it.