Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   6 Nights at Cap Juluca.......... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/6-nights-at-cap-juluca-598535/)

Ike Mar 12th, 2006 12:33 PM

6 Nights at Cap Juluca..........

Where would you suggest dinner for 6 nights.......Blanchards, Hibernia, Flavours, Straw Hat, Mango's, Altamer and Pimm's..........What about lunch. Thanks..........

MaryD Mar 12th, 2006 12:44 PM

I'd drop Blanchards from that list and substitute Picante for Flavours. For lunch, Trattoria for sure; Roy's, Sunset or Johnno's in Sandy Ground; and one of the beach bars at Shoal Bay East just to experience another fabulous beach.

keli22o Mar 12th, 2006 02:50 PM

My top picks are Straw Hat and Koal Keel. Tratorria was lovely as well.

HowardC Mar 13th, 2006 05:21 AM

I would drop Flavors too and also Hibernia. Hibernia is a long drive at night. Go out there for lunch. Do Mangos on Mon or Thurs when they have a live band, Altamer on Tuesday when Dumpa plays. I personally like Blanchards but call first to see if Bob and Melinda are on the island. Also like Trattoria Tratmonto for dinner but if you go for lunch you can use the lounges and umbrellas. If you are there on Sunday go to Scilly Cay for lunch and listen to the Happy Hits. The lobster/crayfish plater is super and the rum punches are killers. Expensive but worth it. You might try Bananas on Meads Bay for lunch. New and getting good writeups. Also recommend Barrel Stay in Sandy Ground for lunch

penny Mar 13th, 2006 06:55 AM

Hibernia is a wonderful choice for lunch, check to see what day they will be open.
The drive at night is a pain from CJ. Too many dark roads, too many drivers with their bright lights on.

I adore Trattoria Tramonto, for lunch or
dinner. Its my home away from home for sure.
I also enjoy Altamer for a light lunch--
the setting is stunning. Dinner a good choice too---but I must admit lunch wins for us. The magic of the sparkling water, just a few taken tables---its a special spot.
Both of these restaurants are at the most 7 minutes or less from CJ.

Pimms is a stunning setting, also in the same building Kemia---they share the same bar. We find we go to this bar
before and after dinner outside the resort.

I know Howard will also endorse Koal Keel--once again this is a speical place.

We always do Mangos, and I must admit this last trip a few weeks ago we went
on a non music night. It was nice to hear the water and our own conversation.
It too is one of our must dos.

We always enjoy our lunchs at Georges.
Mary gave you some excellent ideas for
other places around the island. One of my new favorites-though not for the food-is Johnno's for Sunday jazz. I would also add The Barrel Stay in Sandy
Ground.

Scilly Cay is a fun experience, and IMHO
the best lobster on the island. CJ has
a boat trip there on Sundays.

Too many choices----so little time!

almesq Mar 13th, 2006 07:13 AM

We enjoyed Blanchards, Pimm's, Trattoria, Oliver's and Picante. Went to Altamer as well (for dinner), and thought it was just ok. The setting at Altamer was very nice, but the food was just average. Food at all the others I mentioned was excellent, and I would return to all of them.
We really loved our week at Cap--it was like heaven.
Enjoy!

HowardC Mar 13th, 2006 08:36 AM

OOPS !!! What I meant to say is go to Hibernia for lunch and Koal Keel in the Valley for dinner. Wonderful dining experience. If you don't go to Scilly Cay on Sunday go to Shoal Bay East to Gwens mid afternoon. Gossip plays there sun. Or go to Scilly Cay and stop by Gwens on the way back. We also like Picante but you don't have enough nights

alanb Mar 13th, 2006 12:20 PM

Dinner: Straw Hat, Mango's, Oliver's, Hibernia (long drive or taxi) or Trattoria, Bistro Phil, Koal Keel -- so many great restaurants, too few nights ... For lunch: Scilly Cay, Johnno's, and see if Didier (from the now-defunct Le Bar on Shoal Bay East) has reopened somewhere ...

MaryD Mar 13th, 2006 01:11 PM

No Didier and Bistro Phil's is closed for good.

OT Mar 13th, 2006 01:28 PM

Sadly.

Bistro Phil was sold, but no sign of anything happening there during our Christmas stay.

Didier and Veronique is travelling this year, taking a year out after her cancer treatment. They still have their wonderful house on North Hill, and.. "they will be back". Didier has a long history of restaurants on the Island.

Talking dinners and lunches:

We had a wonderful dinner at Flavours during our last trip but also Picante became a firm favourite and a great subsitute for Bistro Phil.

"Do not miss" for lunch is definately Trattoria and Roy's. Best on Shoal Bay East was Maderimans, Uncle Ernie was great too, KU was a disappointment.

Hibernia is always high on my list, but agree long drive from CJ on the Anguillian roads.

alanb Mar 13th, 2006 01:33 PM

Any opinions on Zara's or Overlook ?

HowardC Mar 13th, 2006 01:34 PM

A taxi to Hibernia from CJ would probably cost $30 each way. Better to go for lunch when you get a great view than dinner. Think they are closed for lunch Tuesday.

Veronique was ill last year so she and Didier took a year off and are traveling. Believe a new Italian restaurant is going to open where Bistro Phils was. Will check in a couple of weeks

OT Mar 13th, 2006 01:45 PM

Had a great dinner at Overlook, but service was slow. However, friends went and both food and service lacked a lot..

they may have improved.

did not do Zara this year.

Ike Mar 14th, 2006 07:57 AM

So farm I have decided on Blanchard's (Wed), Mango's (Thursday-Music), Flavours (Friday), Straw Hat (Saturday), Altamer (Sunday) and Pimm's (Sunday) for dinner.

Sounds like I should substitute Koal Keel for dinner one night. Which one of the 6 above would you substitute KK for. Thanks.

I plan to take Howard C's advice and Schilly Cay on Sunday for lunch and Hibernia for lunch one day. Also I will have lunch at Trattoria. I will probably go to Barrel Stay for lunch also and another day have lunch at CJ since my wife will be frequenting the Spa quite often.

Thanks for your kind replys.

Ike Mar 14th, 2006 08:32 AM

What about Cedar Grove and Smokey's for lunch.

Also what about lunch at Malliouhana.

Thanks.

HowardC Mar 14th, 2006 08:33 AM

Substitute Koal Keel for Flavors. They have music nightly. After dinner do the rum tasting and also ask for a tour of the wine cellar. When you make reservations request Ambrose as your server. Cool Guy

Ike Mar 14th, 2006 10:55 AM

Thanks Howard C......Where is KK localed? Do they have a site close to ocean. My wife and I are celebrating our 23rd anniversary and I wanted a nice ocean view table if possible. I looked at their website. The wine cellar looks nice. Do you think they have California Cabernets. I know Hibernia only has French wine.

blamona Mar 14th, 2006 11:16 AM

Personally, for the cost of a taxi, you can rent a car and have total freedom. You would LOVE exploring Anguilla, seeing the absolutely gorgeous beaches. You may also want to day trip to St. Martin for some shopping for the day.
You can't miss Shoal Bay or Rendezvous Bay beaches! they are stunners.
HowardC is right, make sure one of the Blanchard's is on island before you go. Also, buy on amazon.com "A Trip to the Beach" by the Blanchards. It will make your trip even better!
Pimm's has a gorgeous setting, but it's not my favorite food.
For lunch, you must do Scilly Cay for the day. You wave from the dock, they pick you up by boat and take you over. Excellent lobster and chicken. (and rum punches) They only take cash, and it's pricey, but sometimes I forget my cash and they can charge it through the major resorts like Cap.
For casual places, I like Smokeys on the Cove. Excellent rib kind of place, beautiful (but very casual) setting on an isolated beach. I love Uncle Ernies for lunch at Shoal Bay. Johnno's in Sandy Ground has good casual fare.
Mango's is one of my favorite restaurants in the world.

OT Mar 14th, 2006 11:43 AM

Forgot in my last post..

we had great lunches at Smokey's, killer rum punches and great food,
definately recommend.

HowardC Mar 14th, 2006 12:58 PM

Koal Keel is in the Valley. You go east on the main road toward the airport and when you get to the roundabout--airport on your right-- bear left to the Valley At the next roundabout go left --90 degrees-- toward Crocus Hill. Koal Keel is an old house on the left about half way up the hill. It is not on the beach but don't let that be a deal breaker. It is worth going there. In fact alot of restaurants you really don't see the beach at night. Koal Keel has nightly entertainment and it's a lovely setting. Suspect they have Cal wines. When you get down there call lisa Gumbs at Koal and ask. I bought A Trip to the Beach at Blanchards and had everyone autograph it. I am not a big fan of Smokeys but were there after it first opened so will try it again this time. Only 16 more days. Can't wait. Had a good seafood pizza for lunch at Cedar Grove. Bananas By the Sea is another lunch option. It is on Meads Bay Beach and new. Getting good write ups. Also plan to check it out