Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need help with a Caribbean Destination Wedding-REVISED

Old Feb 25th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are looking for a place to get married on the beach in or near the Caribbean (Mexico is ok), without too much red-tape (legal documents and residency requirements). I would really like a place with bungalows on the beach, but it's not a deal breaker. We aren't much for the night-life, but are looking for a place with daytime activities such as cultural history to explore, little shops with hidden treasures, basic sightseeing. I plan to spend a lot of time on the beach, even at night. Safety is important.
We haven't set our budget yet, but I'd like to stay under $10k US for the whole trip if possible. We are traveling from Oregon and looking to stay at least 7 days, 10 would be ideal.
It will be just the two of us, so we will need to procure witnesses when we get there, probably from the resort?
We also do not have a date set so we are open there. Off season is great, just want to avoid any extreme weather conditions.
I'm hoping there are some people out there that can offer some suggestions to help in my research. Hopefully I've provided sufficient information.
Thank you all in advance!

Btw, I'm open to suggested travel agents too!
I'm just gathering info at this point.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 07:04 AM
KVR

Mahekal Beach Resort in Playa del Carmen, Mexico

http://www.mahekalbeachresort.com/

Bungalows directly on the beach. Rooms do not come with phone or TV is that is an issue. Breakfast and either lunch or dinner is included. About a 20 minute walk to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen where you will find blocks and blocks of shopping, restaurants, bars and entertainment. Several off property excursions in the area.

Wedding coordinator on-site:

http://www.mahekalbeachresort.com/weddings

Shouldn't cost anywhere near 10K. Probably half that if not less depending on what you choose.

We go to Mexico/Caribbean about once to twice per year. Our favorite dates to travel are 2nd and 3rd week of May, first week of June and either the 1st or second week of November or December. Better prices, lower crowds and usually good weather. We were married in a July 15 years ago and for anniversary trips it's a horrible month to travel. Wish I knew then hat I know now.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

I've looked at that place, I didn't realize they had a wedding coordinator, that's awesome!
I did a lot of research last night and I think we settled on the Riviera Maya location.
We don't need phone or TV but WiFi and electricity are important.
Are there any other bungalows in that area you can recommend?
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 01:55 PM
KVR

Not sure about WiFi, but there is electricity.

Check out locogringo.com also:

https://www.locogringo.com/mexico/ac...galow-rentals/

Las Palapas is right next door to the Mahekal. Same basic set up.

Here's a listing of other accommodation choices in the area:

https://www.locogringo.com/property-...20del%20Carmen
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 09:47 PM

Have you considered Green Turtle Cay in the Bahamas? The Green Turtle Club (www.greenturtleclub.com) has a terrific wedding coordinator, Molly McIntosh, who can make all the necessary arrangements.

My husband and I got married on GTC back in 2007, and our wedding was amazing and waaaaay less expensive than it would have been back in the States.

Here's a link to my blog posting about our wedding: http://littlehousebytheferry.com/201...kanoo-wedding/

If it's just the two of you, you should be able to do the entire trip for considerably less than $10k.

Get in touch if I can provide more info.

Amanda