Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   (4) adults, (2) 17 month olds, flying from NYC for 4 days in MarchWhere should we go? Looking for toddler friendly hotels! TIA (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/4-adults-2-17-month-olds-flying-from-nyc-for-4-days-in-marchwhere-should-we-go-looking-for-toddler-friendly-hotels-tia-253059/)

dloech Jan 9th, 2008 06:06 AM

(4) adults, (2) 17 month olds, flying from NYC for 4 days in MarchWhere should we go? Looking for toddler friendly hotels! TIA

Where should we go? Looking for toddler friendly hotels! TIA

Brutforce Jan 9th, 2008 06:36 AM

Totally depends on a variety of items. Are you the resort types ? Have your kids traveled (that far) before ? Are you looking for a beach ? Activities ? Pricing ? How comfortable are you traveling out of your element ? Etc.... Puerto Rico is the first place that comes to mind.

dloech Jan 9th, 2008 06:58 AM

Yes - we would like to go to a resort that has a nice pool/ocean access. Babysitting wuold be a big bonus. Restaurants on site. A toddler friendly place. Our kids have been on planes - from NYC - Puerto Rico is not too far - an easy trip - so are some of the other islands. At this age - I want a direct flight - no stop overs, no ferrys. Looked into El Conq. but its like $750 a night without food - that is beyond our budget. Maybe I have to look at early April?

laplaya Jan 9th, 2008 07:05 AM

Maybe Puerto Rico.

laplaya Jan 9th, 2008 07:26 AM

are you looking only in Caribbean?

dloech Jan 9th, 2008 07:32 AM

No - but its the easiest flight from NYC - unless you have another suggestion? We definitely want beach and sun.

laplaya Jan 9th, 2008 07:32 AM

do u want a non-stop flight?

doug_stallings Jan 9th, 2008 08:16 AM

If you want a nonstop, that does limit your choices a bit, but there are a lot of nonstop flights to the Caribbean from JFK. Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, the Dominican Republic, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, Jamaica, etc. When are you planning to travel? That's a crucial question. If it's during the winter, then you should really look at the Caribbean. If it's in March, then expend your search to include Freeport, Nassau, and Provo (I think there is still a nonstop to Provo from JFK). Also consider Cancun or Cozumel because Mexico is much cheaper than much of the Caribbean.

Without more information about your interests, timing, and budget, it's hard for me to make many recommendations. For 2 people plust 2 toddlers, $750 is kind of an upper mid-range price (i'm assuming for 2 rooms), so if you can't afford that, I think you should be looking at cheaper places in Antigua, the DR, or Mexico. If this is the high season, though, you may have problems finding something in your price range, so look especially for AI resorts.

doug_stallings Jan 9th, 2008 08:18 AM

Oh ... and Grand Cayman. That would be a great place too. And you could probably afford either a relatively inexpensive hotel like the Marriott Courtyard or a condo.